Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2024, 1:43 pm

Hi. My name is Mike and I recently joined this site. I've posted a few times so I thought I should introduce myself.

My girlfriend used to be a therapist who specialized in autistic kids and young adults. She recognized a lot of the same traits in me. Back in the fall I tried looking for articles on high-functioning autism and Asperger's but didn't find anything helpful. Then a week and a half ago I tried again. This time I found two great articles. It looks like I have Asperger's. I'll be starting at a new psychiatric facility next week so hopefully once I have a regular psychiatrist again I can look into getting officially diagnosed.

I'm also bipolar, diagnosed in 2009. Just to make things interesting I'm also dyslexic. So if you see anything spelled wrong that spellcheck didn't catch, that's why.

I'm a writer (four books published and a fifth one on the way), a webmaster, I create website templates, write songs, and sing in the church choir. I have an odd sense of humor but I'm harmless.

I've enjoyed reading the posts here and replying where I feel comfortable. I'm looking forward to continuing to do so, and hopefully get up the nerve to start a few posts of my own.

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2024, 3:31 pm

Welcome!

Often, autistic women are misdiagnosed with various mental illnesses such as bipolar instead of autism, and learning disabilities are often comorbidities of autism for both men and women, so make sure your new psychiatrist diagnoses and treats all of you, not just a few components.

I had to laugh at the fact you're dyslexic and yet a prolific writer! What genre do you write?

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2024, 6:30 pm

ChicagoLiz wrote:
Welcome!

Often, autistic women are misdiagnosed with various mental illnesses such as bipolar instead of autism, and learning disabilities are often comorbidities of autism for both men and women, so make sure your new psychiatrist diagnoses and treats all of you, not just a few components.

I had to laugh at the fact you're dyslexic and yet a prolific writer! What genre do you write?

Thank you. I'll be sure he or she does just that.

I write mainly nonfiction. My first book was a mixture of short stories and some nonfiction but the short stories don't have any kind of subplots or even much description. My sister says I write like she programs: I get in, tell my story, and get out. :lol: I also have a book of free verse poetry, one on misquotes and misattributed quotes, and a book about dialysis. The one I'm finishing up will teach people how to make web pages and websites.

Yeah, I think it's funny too that I'm a writer and dyslexic. I don't know who thought of spellcheck but I'm very grateful they did. :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 9:01 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find us to be a good audience.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 9:20 pm

Hi Mike, welcome!

Congrats on your writing and creative work. It's great you're seeking a diagnosis and finding resources. This community can be mixed, but don't hesitate to share - many here understand and can relate.

Best of luck with your new facility. Take care!

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 10:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 2:21 am

Thank you for the welcome everybody.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 10:10 am

Welcome to the site. You sound like you fit in well in the site. High-functioning autism, Asperger's Syndrome (Aspie for short), Bipolar and Dyslexic. Many of these are common traits.

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 11:45 am

Thanks. Yeah, I believe I've found a home here.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 12:15 pm

Welcome to WP! :alien:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 5:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 11:42 pm

Thank you both. :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 6:02 am

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

pierrebearr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2024, 12:35 pm

Welcome!! I hope you enjoy it here, I'm new too :)

I would love to learn about website creation---It's something I'm interested in but haven't given the time. Seems like a blast!! !