What is the weirdest fact that you know?

Page 6 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2005, 9:30 pm

tchaikovsky was homosexual! =D

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2005, 9:31 am

Quote:
tchaikovsky was homosexual! =D

I thought he was into pedastery? (pedophilla)

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 4:10 am

Beethoven's mother had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally ret*d, and she had syphilis.

Check out these facts of three well known world leaders.

Leader A.
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologist. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 Martinis a day
Leader A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Leader B.
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.
Leader B is Winston Churchill.

Leader C.
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks An occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.Which of these candidates would be your choice?
Leader C is Adolph Hitler.

Amateurs...built the ark.

Professionals...built the Titanic

And finally, can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:

* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
* 3 have done time for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year...

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group That cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the USA in line.

GA

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 7:50 am

rockyrocky wrote:
Alan Turing was a homosexual and committed suicide with (if I remember right) a poison apple.

Actually, it is speculated that this sparked the rainbow apple logo used on early Macintoshes!

And now, for a few of my own facts!

* A whale's penis is called a 'dork'.
* There are more live organisms living on one human body than there are human beings living on earth.
* The philosopher, Seneca, was ordered by his pupil Nero to take his own life. When he failed to bleed to death after slitting his wrists, he slit his knees and thighs. Still living, he drank hemlock. When THAT didn't work, he drowned to death in his bath!
* More people die by being hit on the head by a coconut than by shark attack.
* The frequency of vibration produced by the purr of most cats is said to be optimal for speeding healing of broken bones: thus cats often purr when they are injured or dying.
* There was once an island village with a reputation of producing more baby girls than baby boys. However, upon reaching puberty, many of these 'girls' found themselves with descending testicles! It was then discovered that the cause was their diet which consisted mainly of estrogen enriched chicken, delating the descension of the testicles until puberty, where the boy's testosterone levels were sufficient to counteract the high levels of estrogen!
* Only one in ten deaf children will have deaf parent/s.
* The substance that composes the horn of a rhinocerus is the same substance that makes up hair.
* A cat is more likely to survive a fall from over seven stories than a fall from three to seven stories. This is because a higher fall gives the cat more time to adjust its position to enable it to hit the ground with its weight distributed evenly over its four paws.
* The chemical reaction produced by chocolate is the same as the chemicals produced when you are in love.

That's all for now! I know heaps more, but they are all tucked away in the bowels of my mind! ;)

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 2:19 pm

Some weird facts that I know are that:

- a tablespoon of water contains more molecules than spoonfulls of water in the Atlantic Ocean.
- in the 90's, in Japan, 675 people (mainly children) reported to have had seizures at the same time, which was caused by the flashing lights of a T.V. show called Pocket Monsters (or Pokemon).
- peanuts are an ingredients used to make explosives.
- all the gold that has ever been mined in the world to date would only make a block the size of a tennis court and as high as 400 oz gold bar.
- a hit golf ball spins about 8,000 revolutions a minute.
- the first electric kettles took 12 minutes to boil.
- the first video recorders were the size of a piano.
- It's possible to make over 1000 different facial expressions.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 3:05 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:

Make that two pianos; there was the tape transport and monitors filling one piano. And in the second piano was the support electronics consiting of several hundred vaccum tubes, most of which went towards keeping the rotating video head in sync with the tracks on the tape. Both pianos fully operating consumed 25,000 watts of power at 220 volts.

--------------------------

- The first item ever intentionally cooked with microwaves was an egg.
- An injured crab releases a chemical that is toxic to other crabs.
- with out bacteria on earth, slime would build up on earths surface to a depth of two feet with in 48 hours
- The McDonalds in DePlaines Illinois which is often mentioned as being McDonalds #1 is actually McDonalds #9
- The second stage booster from apollo 10 is in a sun-earth oribt with a mean return time of 32 years.
- The first hard disk centrifuged itself to pieces nearly killing the operators.
- Mice don't need to fear heights. Their bodies have too little mass for them to be injured in a fall, even from considerable heights.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 7:23 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:

Make that two pianos; there was the tape transport and monitors filling one piano. And in the second piano was the support electronics consiting of several hundred vaccum tubes, most of which went towards keeping the rotating video head in sync with the tracks on the tape. Both pianos fully operating consumed 25,000 watts of power at 220 volts.

Gee! And you just 'happen' to make a study of video recorders I suppose?

SOK
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2005, 9:22 am

I'm not sure if this counts as a wierd fact but have you ever wondered why washing up liquid contains real lemons but lemonade contains artificial sweeteners?

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2005, 9:24 am

Quote:
I'm not sure if this counts as a wierd fact but have you ever wondered why washing up liquid contains real lemons but lemonade contains artificial sweeteners?

:!:

/me brain explodes

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 3:25 pm

That is really odd. A fact that my father told me is that if you cut a lemon in half and heat it in the microwave, the juices actually steam up out of the lemon, making it easier to clean the microwave. I never seen it work, but I think he got it out of a book; it was probably a Dorling Kindersley book that we own at home about tips to everyday household chores; it's actually really interesting. Like I learned that you could use newspaper to clean windows, and it actually works better than some paper towels!

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

PrinCessChrisTinA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2005, 6:10 pm

Bra is short for brazier like Dairy Queen Brazier. maybe the first Dairy Quene Brazie burned bras! :lol:

Moreover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2005, 7:01 am

In Australia, it is possible to form a working government with only 25% of the vote at election time.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2005, 8:35 am

aspiegirl2 wrote:
- a tablespoon of water contains more molecules than spoonfulls of water in the Atlantic Ocean.

I seek clarification. Are you saying that there are more molecules in a spoon full of drinking water than there are molecules in several spoonfuls of salt water, or are you saying that there are more molecules in a tablespoon of water than there are spoonfulls of water in the Atlantic Ocean?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2005, 11:05 am

ljbouchard wrote:
New Hampshire has licqor stores on the interstate system?

OMG, I used to live in Vermont and go from there to Cape Cod with my mom to visit my grandparents quite often, and the halfway point was a liquor store. So, from about eight years old, I started asking my mom, all enthusiatic, "Can we stop at the liquor store?" ((There were vending machines for junk food.))

-----

There are actually five tastes, not four, which have been identified. Sweet, salt, sour, bitter, and umami. ((I am still unclear what umami tastes like, but I just learned this in the class I'm taking.))

Only one in 720 married couples has a taller female than male in America today.

50% of all marriages in America end in divorce, most Americans know that. However, 75% of all failed marriages in America end because of substance abuse. So, almost 38% of all marriages in America end because of substance abuse.

Last edited by Serissa on 17 Jul 2005, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2005, 3:15 am

PhoenixKitten wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:

I seek clarification. Are you saying that there are more molecules in a spoon full of drinking water than there are molecules in several spoonfuls of salt water, or are you saying that there are more molecules in a tablespoon of water than there are spoonfulls of water in the Atlantic Ocean?

I was going toward the second one.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2005, 4:41 am

Serissa wrote:
Only one in 720 married couples has a taller male than female in America today.

Are you sure about that one? 8O

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!