Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Gardenia
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2010, 3:29 pm

I had an epiphany this week, and finally figured out that all these problems I've been having are AS. At the same time I realized that my 8 yr old son has it, too. A work friend's husband has AS, and we talked about it some. Based on the way actors portray AS I never thought that could be me. I guess it's their poor acting skills, because I definitely have AS and I don't act that rigid and wooden. Maybe they are portraying a different part of the spectrum?

I talked to my son's school and his therapist (he had to see 2 yrs ago) and they completely agree with AS for both. There is no real incentive to get a formal diagnosis for either of us. I guess it is just good for us to know how to explain things to him as he gets older so he can accomodate / learn adaptive skills when necessary. I wonder if I should tell him he is different... For right now, I don't think so.

For me - it's like a HUGE explanation of the way I think and my lack of ability to "play with others" nicely. For a while there I thought I was having a breakdown or something, but now it all makes perfect sense.

Bought a couple of Kindle formatted AS books to try to figure out what to do now. I am happily married with the son and a daughter. I work from home in a successful career.

Any advice for someone who finds this out at age 42???? Sure wish I had known earlier in life.

~G

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:54 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 4:07 pm

Welcome

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 4:45 pm

Welcome to the WP neighborhood, Gardenia. The "epiphany" of finally figuring out the truth about yourself can certainly be a mind-liberating experience.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 6:25 pm

Welcome to WP. I am currently going through the same epiphany - suddenly many things are making sense. It is definitely an interesting experience.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

Hi Gardenia! Welcome to WP and congratulations on your aha moment!

I am 35 and just learning. I wish I had known earlier, too. For me, right now it's about educating myself and getting support. This forum has been really great for both. You might be interested in the thread that's called "set of scientific tests..." very cool. And further about support, I told my husband that I am really pursuing a diagnosis and he's so kind and supportive. It feels very good. And I find all of this very liberating, too.

I look forward to your posts!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 9:15 pm

Gardenia wrote:
I had an epiphany this week, and finally figured out that all these problems I've been having are AS. At the same time I realized that my 8 yr old son has it, too. A work friend's husband has AS, and we talked about it some. Based on the way actors portray AS I never thought that could be me. I guess it's their poor acting skills, because I definitely have AS and I don't act that rigid and wooden. Maybe they are portraying a different part of the spectrum?

I talked to my son's school and his therapist (he had to see 2 yrs ago) and they completely agree with AS for both. There is no real incentive to get a formal diagnosis for either of us. I guess it is just good for us to know how to explain things to him as he gets older so he can accomodate / learn adaptive skills when necessary. I wonder if I should tell him he is different... For right now, I don't think so.

For me - it's like a HUGE explanation of the way I think and my lack of ability to "play with others" nicely. For a while there I thought I was having a breakdown or something, but now it all makes perfect sense.

Bought a couple of Kindle formatted AS books to try to figure out what to do now. I am happily married with the son and a daughter. I work from home in a successful career.

Any advice for someone who finds this out at age 42???? Sure wish I had known earlier in life.

~G

I found out at age 56. I heard a segment of a program on NPR about a man that found out he had it when his son was diagnosed. I listened to the symptoms of Asperger's and was just struck dumb dealing with the concept when my boss (we carpooled) said "Merle, they are discribing YOU!" I could only nod.

You are at the best place you can be for self discovery. WrongPlanet is a friend and a reference and someplace where you will surely see yourself in others. Try the Dino ExCafe http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts32122-start17430.html for the over 40 set, the Pre Diagnosis set, it is still going as it has been for years here on WP. The Adult section is . . .well. . Adult but the In Depth Adult discussion area has Aspies with partners, and of course, the Parent's Discussion group is just that.

Welcome Home, Gardenia :D

Merle

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 5:11 am

Hello Gardenia, welcome,

I'm 34 and found out only recently that I have Asperger's.
Well, better late than never ;)

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 9:58 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Gardenia
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2010, 10:11 am

Thanks so much for the welcome and suggestions for places to hang out on the site. I forgot to mention that I live in Northeast Texas.

What are your thoughts on not telling my 8 yr old he has Aspergers, but treating the symptoms as they arise? He is doing very well right now and his therapist said sometimes when kids know they use AS as an excuse for normal things like not wanting to do homework.

Thoughts? - Maybe I should post this in Parenting too. :-)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 9:29 pm

Gardenia wrote:
Thanks so much for the welcome and suggestions for places to hang out on the site. I forgot to mention that I live in Northeast Texas.

What are your thoughts on not telling my 8 yr old he has Aspergers, but treating the symptoms as they arise? He is doing very well right now and his therapist said sometimes when kids know they use AS as an excuse for normal things like not wanting to do homework.

Thoughts? - Maybe I should post this in Parenting too. :-)

just post this ^^post ^^ in Parenting. You can keep the rest of this thread your 'welcome thread' :D (I saved mine from long ago,) you might want to keep this your 'welcome thread' too.

Merle