Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MSquared
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

Hello! My name is Mitch and I'm currently living in beautiful New Hampshire. I've lived in several states including Connecticut, Massachusetts (born in Boston), Maine, Pennsylvania, and New York. I am a diagnosed Aspie (well, sort of) and was diagnosed at age 21. I say "sort of" because they were reluctant to give me a full diagnosis since I am very high functioning. Instead, they just gave me the label "symptoms consistent with Asperger" as opposed to a full diagnosis. Additionally, I also have a moderate to severe hearing loss and am mostly deaf in my left ear. This may partly be why the people who evaluated me were reluctant to give a diagnosis since some of my social difficulties are caused by my lack of hearing. I wear a hearing aid in the right ear and can hear about 65-70% of what a normal person hears with it on.

It's very frustrating having not one, but two disabilities that impair my ability to interact with others. In addition to many of the troubles posed by AS, I often cannot hear conversation and, therefore, have to withdraw from it because asking people to repeat things often stifles the flow of the conversation and ruins it. As such, I've had very few friends and never any girlfriends. I really hope to have a girlfriend and came to this board partly to find out how other Aspies found their partners and how they find having a relationship to be. I hate being a loner and want to make some changes in my life. I also came here to meet others and hear how they manage their lives, especially with regard to friendships.

Anyway, a little more about myself: I am a graduate student of meteorology at Plymouth State University and hope to pursue this field for my career. I have been fascinated with weather since the age of 3. I also did my undergraduate degree in meteorology also. It is a challenging field that requires certain things from an individual (some of which I'm not sure I have). I also have interests in nature and working out.

Hope to meet some interesting people on here.

~Mitch

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 6:30 pm

Nice to meet you, Mitch. :) 8)

Last edited by JerryHatake on 09 Aug 2008, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 7:35 pm

Welcome.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:18 pm

Welcome to the forums, Mitch. :)

L.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:01 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 3:18 pm

Welcome :) I miss New England as I consider it my home. So so homesick!

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

MathMikie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 4:08 pm

hello mitch i am michael i like playing video games and studying maths

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

MSquared
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2008, 8:05 pm

Bunni wrote:
Welcome :) I miss New England as I consider it my home. So so homesick!

I love New England a lot. I lived in Pennsylvania (State College) for a few months and hated it. I did a semester of grad school at Penn State and it didn't exactly go as planned. I had to move back since it is so lovely here. Plus, it's where a lot of my family is. Where in PA do you live?

MSquared
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

MathMikie wrote:
hello mitch i am michael i like playing video games and studying maths

I'm not too math savvy, but I have to do a lot of it since I study meteorology (study of weather). The subject involves a lot of calculus and differential equations...ick! I can't say I'm into videogames too much except for maybe some of the retro stuff from Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis. I love the original Zelda, Mario Bros. and Sonic. Where are you from?

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 9:55 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

sammyrose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2010, 9:08 pm

Hi my name is Samantha and I am currently living with two people who have AS. One is my fiance and the other is his son. I have read several books on the subject as I am finding myself more and more frustrated. I love them both dearly but certain things like no help around the house, anger issues, and an overall inability to communicate certain things have left me feeling inept, lost, confused and like I am walking on eggshells. I don't know if it's me or him. Quite a few things I have read and he has told me leave to believe some of it a lot of it is him. I am looking for suggestions on how to bring up things like house work, projects that he starts and doesn't finish and not have it end in him becoming angry. If you can help or have any idea on how this works please let me know!! ! Thanks so much,
Sam. :)

Lost1
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2010, 5:21 pm

Not looking for romance, it just would not work out, but I can help you out a little. Mybe even become a friend. I am engaged and much to my surprise met my "other" in a reastrunt, when he was waiting tables/serving. He hapend to stop by tobring a bottle of ketup, and at that moment I was talking to his sister not knowit, and said that he was cute.
boy did I get a surprise.
Any way enough about me. I not sure if I have this "disability" it sounds like such a dirty word, like were some kind of freeks. However I do have a very hard time making friends. I am not Autistic in the sence, that everybody says "low functioning" I have a medium I qu, but have a good and independant life.

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2010, 6:11 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet, MSquared.