Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 1:46 am

My name is Daniel, I am a 16 year old INTJ (Based on the Myer Brigg's personality typology), and I believe myself to have mild Aspergers Syndrom. My Mother and Grandmother both believe I have it, and recently mentioned their opinions to me, as well as my sister (who is a psychology major) has also recently mentioned that she thinks I have AS also. I have wondered if I have Aspergers for the past several years. When I was younger, my main interest was herpetology, and I did little other than study herpetology, and do 'field herping'. Although I could interact with people fine, I preferred not to. I was not (and am not) clumsy, however, when I became a teenager, my social skills deteriorated, and currently, I find it hard to interact with people I don't know very well in real life (although on the internet I can usually interact fine, and often enjoy it). After my obsession with herpetology, I became highly obsessed with music, which lasted for 4 years (technically my interest in music [and herpetology] is still on going, just to a lesser degree). My current main interests are Computer Engineering and Computer Science as well as a strong interest (although not as strong as my CE and CS interests) in Number Theory, and Mathematics in general, and I do little other than gaining more knowledge in these areas, and implementing my knowledge in these areas. I have always had a hard time reading fiction books, I don't understand them, and don't find them enjoyable. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had some insight on if I am an Aspie, or just a highly introverted person with odd interests, as well I wanted to say 'Hi'!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:13 am

Hi, Daniel. I'm not qualified to diagnose, but you sound like an interesting person and I'm glad you joined us. Number theory is fascinating stuff! So are snakes. I can definitely identify with getting completely absorbed withs tudying something interesting.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:19 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my time warp. (I like the 60s). :)

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 3:32 am

Thanks to both of you for the welcome!

@sparrowrose I must agree with your statements, it is quite easy to get wrapped up in those areas. It seems there is a nonfinite amount of data observations and theories that can be made in both areas; yay for never ending subjects of interest! : - )

@cockneyrebel even with my somewhat lacking knowledge of history, I know the 60's were a pretty amazing time; either then or 2070 ( hopefully we will have fusion technology, working hypersonic engines, and home based quantum computers by then... ) would be the best options of time travel with given information. At least in my opinion : D

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:26 am

Hi Daniel. Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have some AS traits, but I'm not qualified to diagnose either. Still, I am of the opinion that most (if not all) people who think they have it probably do. In either case, I'm glad you found this site.

If you're interested in self-diagnosing (don't know how "valid" you may think this is), here's the test I used:

http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/

I hope you'll write more about your "special interests." Regarding music in particular: listening, playing and/or composing? Any favorite instruments? Do you sing at all?

Again, welcome. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 10:44 am

Welcome greetings to the Wrong Planet forums, Daniel.

NegativeNancyboy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2010, 2:04 pm

Welcome! What are your favorite creatures from studying herp?

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 4:43 pm

@conundrum Thank you for the welcome; and also thank you for the link, I will make sure to check it out later! I enjoy both listening and playing to music, I generally prefer Instrumental over vocals in most cases, and I do like to compose my own music. My main instrument of choice (and the one that I usually enjoy the most) is the Mountain Dulcimer, and I like genres ranging from 'Techno' to Classical. I don't sing (I got this fear of vocalizing words with melodic content...), but I do write lyrics.

@jetlag Thank you, I am looking forward to getting 'settled in', and getting to know you all.

@negativenancyboy Thanks! My single favorite creature to study, was probably the Sharp-Tailed snake (Contia Longicaudae). Since not much was (and is) known about them, and they are a very secretive species, it was quite a challenge to be able to set up an environment in which they would behave naturally. In the end, I made a cage that other than needing its own supply of oxygen, and its own supply of water, met the definition of a biosphere. It had a breeding population of worms, slender salamanders, crickets, slugs and plant life, and because of this environment that needed minimal interaction on my part (I'd spray the cage with a bottle of water every once and a while), I was able to gain footage through the means of a night camera regarding the nocturnal habits of the Sharp-Tailed snake, including feeding and hunting patterns. I also enjoyed studying the California Alligator lizard a large amount. My cage set up required more interaction between myself and the animal, however, Alligator lizards do fairly well in captivity, and so they were still easy to gain information from. Those two species (the California Alligator lizard, and the Sharp-Tailed snake) were probably my favorite species when studying. I now live in a different state, without the mentioned species at hand, and although I think I know what species I would like to study (Eastern Racer, Smooth Green snake, and the Rubber Boa), I don't have the knowledge from the field yet to set up a good habitat for them, and I haven't found any to study in 'the wild' other than an Eastern Racer (which I was unable to gain very much information from at the time).

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 2:56 pm

Hello Daniel, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2010, 3:39 pm

Thank you, I hope I will.