Wondering if I should get a diagnosis...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm

Hey, I'm new, just signed up yesterday.

I'm a 26-year-old guy. I've always had a special brand of weirdness, but I've never been psychologically evaluated. I've always been happy with who I am, but lately I feel like I hold myself back, and I don't see how to move forward in life. I've always found Asperger's to be fascinating, but it's only been upon a recent reading of the subject that I've realized just how closely I match virtually all of the criteria. I'm nearly certain I must have Asperger's or PDD-NOS to some degree.

Physical clumsiness? Check. I feel like I move awkwardly, drop stuff, spill stuff, and I was always laughably bad at sports.

Narrow interests? Check. Video games dominate my thoughts, with movies and general computer stuff being among the only significant secondary interests. I enjoy photography and travel, but on an everyday basis, that's what I'm into.

Verbosity? Check. I've always had a proclivity toward inserting words that I like into my conversations (such as "proclivity"). I find it much easier to write than to speak, and my speech is littered with stumbling awkwardness.

A misunderstanding of how to act in a social situation? Mostly. I think I understand people's emotions and intentions in conversation, but I react poorly to them. I never know what to say. Conversations flow for most people, and I need a moment to think. For me, the worst are the stupid little things people say when they're just trying to be friendly, but probably don't actually want to talk. "What's up?" is usually met with a sullen "Hey." I always struggle to give the right response to these everyday situations. Depending on whether I feel comfortable with a person, I can carry a one-on-one conversation pretty well, so long as I have time to think about what I will say. If I'm not able to write out a "script" in my head while a conversation is going on, then I'll almost certainly fail.

Lack of empathy? I'm not sure. I truly do care about other people, but I feel like I fail in demonstrating that. I always feel like the tone of my sincerity leaves something to be desired. I've always felt like I'm the "escapist" friend, with the very few close friends I've ever had. People just talk to me about what they know I'm interested in, not so much serious things. It bothers me that people might think I don't care, but I just can't express it.

Problems with humor? Yes and no. I used to be considered something of a class clown in early elementary school, but that was probably just due to my weird ways of thinking and general goofiness. It's strange, because I feel like I'm both serious and goofy at the same time. I've always wished I could say witty things, but mostly my humor comes from my off-the-wall thoughts and observations. I understand humor, and I'm notorious for my unique and loud laugh. But some humor, especially mean-spirited humor, even if I understand it's just a friendly jab, is often lost on me. I've also heard about people with AS and gullibility, which is something I've kept in check over recent years, mostly because I've been had too many times.

Trouble sleeping? Fairly often, yes. I just can't tell my brain to shut itself off, to stop thinking about whatever it will.

Repetitive rituals? Yes, while I definitely don't think I meet the criteria for true OCD, I do have repetitive thoughts, and sometimes act out illogically (such as double-checking a door I am certain I locked). I also struggle with things like twitching the muscles in my nose and eyes.

So, I feel like I fit the criteria pretty well. The reason that I'm suddenly wondering about whether it matters that I might have AS (or something like it), is that I'm starting to feel trapped in life. There are things I want to do that I find myself unable to do. I've been out of college for four years. High school was four years, college was four years. Now Another four have passed, and nothing has changed. I'm in a very much "just-out-of-college" sort of job, and I don't see myself attempting to move forward. I've still never been on a date. These are two things that have bothered me a lot lately, and it scares me that I don't see how I can change my circumstances. I used to be very orderly, and I always got things done. In my job, I pretty much never have deadlines, and people are pretty easily impressed by the little work that I do turn out. In other words, I'm safe, but bored and never get much done. Throughout my life, it was expected that I'd do well in school and go to college. Now that I've done those things, and put in a position where so little seems to be expected of me, I feel like I've become lazy, and I don't like that. Likewise, as much as I thought I might try to be more outgoing as I grew up, it's never happened. Where I live after college, I only have one close local friend (my college roommate, so it's not like I had to be outgoing to get to know him). As much as I've always been proud of being able to entertain myself and do just fine in solitude... I have to admit that in four years of living alone, I've had my fill of involuntary loneliness. The appeal of being by myself and doing whatever I want isn't as great as it once seemed. It makes me feel like I've made a mistake by never even trying to take a girl on a date. Now I have so much to catch up on, and no social skills to help me through it. And while it's not like I'm doomed to a life of eternal bachelorhood just because I'm unfamiliar with dating at age 26, I've had the relatively recent revelation that I'd better start soon... but I don't see how.

It all revolves around venturing into the unknown, meeting people that I don't know, dealing with social situations that I'm afraid of. These are things I want, but being an independent adult, find it hard to force myself into. Do I need to know something deeper about myself before I pursue any new life goals? Would a diagnosis be a good thing for me? For most of my life, I've just thought of myself and a weird awkward nerd, but maybe there's something more to it than that? It would be nice to know, if only because other people have dealt with the same issues and I could learn from those who have come before me.

... but of course, I don't know the first thing about who I would go to, where to look, etc., even if I could make the bold decision get evaluated. Sigh.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 1:26 pm

I am going August 6th for an evaluation, I do not know if it will make me feel better but with a diagnosis I would be able to get help with job interviews or other types of help if I need it. It would also help me get grants to further my education if I choose to. I regreat not getting a diagnosis sooner.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 4:09 pm

Welcome greetings, fellow-traveler DonDud, to the WP neighborhood.

JayHun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

Hey, another North Carolinian! Thanks for sharing yourself, and welcome!

A diagnosis would give you some good information to work with, but it's possible that your brand of weirdness is below the clinical threshold. You should get an evaluation, but gathering a bit more information could be useful. The more detail with which you can describe your thoughts and emotions, the better you will know yourself. Complex descriptions of your thought processes can be hard to generate on the spot, so you can do the heavy thinking beforehand to save time. It looks as if you have a good start on that.

So, how do you figure out what your brain is up to? Get a little help from a friend. Even if you don't have a diagnosis, if you can put your thoughts and theories into clear language, other people will work with you.

Fear is a b***h, and it will probably be one of your major social roadblocks. You can remain in isolation, or you can go out say awkward stuff in public. The first choice is a nice way to avoid the second one, but as you know, it also sucks. Misrepresenting yourself in a conversation can be painful to experience, but you will improve. You have to start somewhere.

Don't worry too much about lost time, you have a lot of time yet.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 5:58 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet.:)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2010, 6:13 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

waves5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2010, 7:35 am

Hi DonDud, I am new here also, today. I am 27 and in the same position. Recently was "unofficially officially" diagnosed and was givin meds to cope. I say "unofficially officially" because I was told not to get an officialy diagnoses due to the fact that I was told it is hard to get health care with a diagnoses and other problems one runs into. I could care less about labels, I was just glad that I figured out why the hell my life has been so weird up until now. And being a female, why I felt like a girl with a boys brain. Atleast that is how I describe it.

If I were you I wouldnt get a DX. But if you ever have health insurance and feel you need treatments or therapy, get it. I myself could benefit from such therapy, but atlas, I am with no health care or Social Security.

From what I have heard, many can either take dating or leave it. I'm on the fence. Somewhere deep inside I want a relationship, but when it goes into motion, it doesnt click. I will live my life and not dwell on it.