Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2006, 6:15 pm

Just wanted to share an autobiographical excerpt from Todd J. Schmidt in "Voices From the Spectrum". I really empathize with this perception:

"No one knew. They weren't supposed to know that it was okay to be like me. They couldn't have known that their methods of teaching, parenting, teasing, and judging were just about the worst thing they could do to a kid like me. I was over-sensitive, an underachiever, odd, lazy, weird, stupid, and gullible. I didn't have autism -- that was the kid who never spoke. I never shut up. It must be my fault. They simply didn't know. And how could they have?"

lae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 12:06 am

i have got to read that book. Thank you for sharing the excerpt.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 1:27 am

Yes! I would imagine that's a pretty accurate description for many of us.

What book is that? Is that readily available? It's one I don't remember having come across, and I've searched through many. I may have just overlooked it, because I don't generally read biographies or autobiographies. I may have thought it was one of those.

The one report that I seem attracted to is the "Don't Mourn For Us" by James Sinclair. For some reason, it tends to move me. I don't know why. There's just some sort of emotional connection I feel there.

- Ray M -

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 3:23 pm

I've never heard of that book before. You know, I don't read Asperger's and Autism books.