Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dave_in_ag
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2010, 5:22 pm

Hi everyone! Not my first forum, to be sure, but first time on one dedicated to this aspect of my life.

The short story is, my older son was diagnosed in early 2010 with mild Asperger's (though the behaviorist was a little reluctant, because he was so high functioning, but she also knew that we had already been through a full year of Occupational Therapy). This year, he started Kindergarten, totally mainstreamed, and he's doing really well, though there are still some issues at school. But the bulk of the issues are at home. He seems pretty good at keeping it together for other people, but then takes it all out on us. :? Convenient for making friends, but not so convenient for getting the help we desperately need.

Honestly, I'm here because I don't know anyone locally in my situation. Not only do I have trouble relating to people who don't have at least a couple of kids, but if there's no special needs involved, it's bound to be an exercise in frustration. "Have you tried--" "Yes. And eight different variations on that. Thank you."

In the immortal words of the dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "So....there you go."

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Dec 2010, 6:52 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:50 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 12:05 am

Welcome greetings, dave_in_ag, to the WP community.

CranialRectosis
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2010, 10:08 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet.

I hope the forums here make the Aspie community feel more local for you. I am 41 and recently diagnosed. I have found many answers here, reading these pages.

You are describing behaviours that I experienced from the other half of the equation and am only now beginning to understand. By posting here, you have given me another piece of my own puzzle.

Thank you, and welcome to WrongPlanet.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:09 pm

Welcome!

Shemesh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2010, 3:40 am

Welcome
I can totally relate to the frustrating comments of "have you tried..." from people who have no idea. Or comments which used to annoy me - now almost make me laugh, such as "but he looks so normal"