Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 3 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Catster
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2006, 4:39 am

I have mild AS and are very good at remembering peoples ages and birthdays

gargouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2006, 10:04 pm

Good Fact: My AS was diagnosed when I was 4, because my parents were trying to figure how how a mostly non-verbal child was reaqding dictionaries and math books. Since two of my Aunt Nadiri's kids are AS, (they're 2 and 5 years older than me) she volunteered to home-school me with her kids. I got my GED by 12 and started at our local community college that spring. So in that case, AS was good to me.

Weird fact: Math calms me. If you look at my journal entries, you'll see days where the entries are nothing but advanced geometric proofs and symbolic logic problems. Then there's the days that start out maths and then when I've calmed down somewhat, they turn verbal, in a seemingly unconnected and stream-of-conscious sort of way.

Bad Fact: Apparently I dream in symbolic logic and mathematic proofs! :lol: Seriously, my sweetie once taped what I was saying when I was talking in my sleep and I was doing something incredibly complicated and talking through it, like you do when you're making a proof.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2006, 6:30 am

Hmm...

- I'm a human jukebox. I have hundreds of keywords that, if I hear them, I'll have to sing at least one verse, or the chorus, of the song(s) I associate with that particular keyword, and I get very irate if someone interrupts me.

- I hate odd numbers, although I'm not scared of them anymore. I'd rather have 2 of something good than 3, because 2 is even. As a kid, I would have to take any odd number I encountered and make sums with it until it was even (just doubling it wasn't enough... eg 3 + 3 = 6, but 3,3,6 is three numbers, and 6 + 3 = 9, still odd).

Two facts, even though the topic only asked for one :P My bad.

Breanainn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2006, 10:57 am

I could read newspapers when I was 3 but have the maths ability of an 8 year old.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 3:58 pm

Im pretty convinced that both my mother and father have autism of some degree. Double whammy!

zeus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2006, 4:49 am

I've been living with AS since once I came out from a river in my childhood.

When I was even younger I liked singing and playing with tape recorders. At that time I was able to remember the lyrics of the songs although I wasn't able to fully understand them.

I also enjoyed breaking up small electricity-driven devices such as tape recoders, clocks, and I also liked playing with (without taking) all sorts of medicine.

When I grew up I came to computer science and since I entered the junior high school maths has been one of my favorites. (Now) In school I'm good at maths and English, average at biology and physics, and bad at Chinese language arts and chemistry.

I begun to learn to become more social when at the end of 15 (soon after I entered the senior high school) but now I'm still not as skilled as I hoped to be.

I can easily remember some people's birthdays and voices but it's rather difficult for me to recall the faces of those who are new to me. I can also replay or sometimes create music in my head.

I heard of Asperger's Syndrome several days ago from a television program introducing Mozart. Then I found myself also an instance of AS.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 5:07 am

I have mild AS, i find eye contact quite hard.

Composer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2006, 12:01 pm

I'm composer.

When I hear music, I see the scores in front of me - I also can name a tune if I hear it.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 1:06 pm

I'm self diagnosed, somewhere on the spectrum, HFA or AS maybe, and have lived a semi-normal life already, at 50, not knowing exactly what was different about me, but always finding some of the "silliest" things difficult to cope with.

My mind is pictures, both sights and sounds and visual/aural info is intermingled and gets mixed up sometmes, but usually I can call up a remembered picture and literally re-read things with amazing accuracy. People think I have some type of photographic elephant memory or something, but truly I just re-examine pictorial representations in my mind and the words come out right most of the time.

I have learned that many of my social challenges have come from sensory integration problems and wearing my feelings on my sleeve. That's one VERY bad combination.

Lydia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2006, 3:07 pm

GoddessofSnowandIce wrote:
stammer so bad sometimes because my brain just moves too fast for my mouth to catch up with it, and by the time it does, the words are lost in the sea of thought that never calms.

wow, that's me to a tee. I have a really hard time getting my brain to shut up... my words and actions can never keep up.

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2006, 8:16 pm

I eat very boring and bland foods, no salt/spices; my tastebuds are stuck on max! Garlic/Onions, forget about it...

pinoy_pac_fan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2006, 2:03 am

I dont like to be in a crowd.
I dont really like eye contact.
I love playing basketball alone and practicing my jumpshot.
I love quiz shows.
I joined school spelling bees a lot when I was younger.
Im 26 but I feel like Im 10.
Im not 100% sure if I have AS.

Orvaskesi
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2006, 6:31 am

I'm not entirely sure I have/am Asperger's...

Things that "fit":
- Obsessive special interests as a child.
- Loner, very un-social as a kid. Now I've started to "get" a lot about social interaction, up to a certain point. Still find social situations enormously draining.
- Perfectionist. Have to stop myself from smashing stuff and starting all over again if something goes wrong.
- Love patterns/regularities etc. Sometimes dream of abstract patterns. Serves me well in my work.
- Motorically extremely clumsy.
- Finding myself quickly "overloaded" sensorically in situations where a lot is happening at the same time, such as traffic.
- High pain barrier, but hideously sensitive to soft touch. Like "rough" touch a lot more.
- Obsessive anxieties. Usually "what-if" scenarios running wild in my mind.
- Have a tendency to withdraw in my own mind. Building elaborate imaginative worlds there. Also, I often find I'm carrying on a different conversation than the group around me, and am inserting information relating to what I want to talk about, rather than what the rest is talking about.

Things that do not "fit"
- I like some measure of routine, but not to the point of obsession or ritual.
- No problems with eye contact. Though when I was younger, people complained a bit about my stare.
- To a big extent, I "get" social stuff, and can even do a bit of small talk, though I don't enjoy it very much. I think my social asperger issues were much more pronounced in the past but they are hidden more "deeply" now.
- I only every now and then find myself interpreting something literally which was not meant literally.
- I do not have special, obsessive interests at the moment to the extent I had them as a kid. I still have obsessive tendencies (including anxieties), and can focus very well on my work.

PS To Romana: I like it you mention Process Philosophy/Theology. It might start to become a special interest for me: I notice I am steering conversations with people in that direction :-) Somehow I succeeded including Whitehead and process in my Ph.D. manuscript on a linguistic subject - basically just because it fascinates me and I have a tendency to try and "synthesize" all kinds of stuff.

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2006, 2:10 pm

Random Fact:
I've coasted through life. I've made it to grad school, and will finish in 2 weeks, but I've never put more than the minimum effort into studying. So often times, I see myself as a failure. I've no amazing math abilities or xray eyes, just a lot of social problems.

hate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2006, 5:28 pm

Random fact:
I hate it (the feeling I get, not you people with skills) when I read about people with AS having skills I envy. That be: high IQ, programming, math, physics, rote memory, language..........

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 5:43 pm

Random fact, people on history forums often ask me what universities are good and where I got my education, but I am a highschool dropout (though I do visit the university library often)