Am I in the correct place? Where do I go from here?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Fats
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2011, 2:52 am

I am Brad, And I believe that I have Aspergers.

I am married, 35, no children.

I'm not sure if I fit the profile or not publicly, however inside, everything fits.

Quote:
Your Aspie score: 163 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Over the past few months I have taken 6 different online quizzes, and they all come out about the same. For the most part they seem to ask about the same questions, but you all know this.

Is there a point to getting diagnosed? I cannot afford to go to a doctor for the regular stuff right now, how could I justify putting the money out for a diagnosis that would only possibly hurt potential job opportunities?

I am currently out of work, and looking, or trying to look. If I get diagnosed would I not have to then put it on the applications? Wouldn't that be a large black mark for me?

I'm perfectly capable of working, but I do tend to think people are mad at me a lot more than they really are. I am decent with jobs, as long as they are tedious, and I can do them alone. I am a capable welder, forklift operator. and I also do computer related bits.

I guess, after staring at this post for a half hour. What are the benefits of getting a diagnosis, and do they outweigh the bad stuff?

My wife (from what I can tell lol) is not happy with me talking about this. Whenever I bring it up she has just said that I should go to a doctor if I think that is what I have. I do tend to over think things though, and I often assume she is angry when she is not.

I'm going to go through and read posts, I look forward to the responses.

Brad

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2011, 3:50 am

I'm too sleepy to talk much, but...
Hi! And welcome to WrongPlanet. :D

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 5:14 am

Hello. I'm self diagnosed as well. I think there is a point to professional diagnosis, I think it will help me find the right resources and therapy for coping with my mental health issues (be they ASD or not).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:23 am

Right now, you may benefit more from a book like "Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships" by Temple Grandin and Sean Barron. The idea is to better understand Aspie/NT relationships in the workplace, so you can function better at jobs.

In theory, getting a diagnosis will give you access to job training opportunities that are made available for folks with disabilities. The reality is that there are few such opportunities for older adults. Such programs are constantly under pressure by those who want tor reduce taxes and shrink the size of government--they think this can be better done by the community "safety net." Then they cut funding for community centers.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 7:01 am

BTDT, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into that.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:58 am

Welcome!

Fats
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2011, 1:40 am

BTDT wrote:
Right now, you may benefit more from a book like "Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships" by Temple Grandin and Sean Barron. The idea is to better understand Aspie/NT relationships in the workplace, so you can function better at jobs.

In theory, getting a diagnosis will give you access to job training opportunities that are made available for folks with disabilities. The reality is that there are few such opportunities for older adults. Such programs are constantly under pressure by those who want tor reduce taxes and shrink the size of government--they think this can be better done by the community "safety net." Then they cut funding for community centers.

Thank you. I will try and find that book.

Thanks for the welcome everyone else.

Brad

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 5:41 am

http://templegrandin.com/

Temple sells books on her web site--I'm sure that Amazon.com has it as well.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 May 2011, 5:45 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:47 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink