Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Novad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

I am a Dad with a son who has been recently diagnosed with autism. My son is non-verbal, does not have any sensory issues(has some stemming), and interacts with other children on his good days. I am here to learn more about my son. Since he cannot tell me maybe someone can give me more insight or just explain what it is he may be going through. Any help or conversation would be great.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

He is mute, or just hasn't started talking yet? That's to say, how old is he?

Novad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

I probably should give more information. I apologize in advance I am new to this. He is 4 years old. He spoke until 18 months and then regressed. since then he has learned to say mommy and daddy... and ask for juice so he is not mute. His speech therapists have told my wife and I that he will probably not speak at all. I really just wanted to understand him to better my relationship with him. I am a soldier so I am often away from home leaving me out of the loop on his progress and his growth as a person.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, Novad!

You may get more attention in the parents' forum, rather than me just saying welcome ;)

Novad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

@TenPencePiece-touche.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

No such thing as perfect in any of this, we just try (tried in my case), to do the best we can with what we know.

Speech, lol. My Dad and I were on top of a mountain in Maine, he told me to shut up, I said "but dad, I don't hear anything", he said shush and I said, "BUT DAD!, I don't hear anything", and then I heard it, nothing. I'll never forget it as long as I live. He most likely was an Aspie. I wonder who will teach who. :lol: