anyone into cycling or bicycles in general?

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

friedchickenfuelsme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

I have posted a few times but noone seems really to have anything to talk about so i figured i'll bring up a subject that i know some things about that i enjoy doing. I road raced when I was a junior (16-17-18) but just enjoy riding, feeling the wind, taking in the scenery. I hope to one day ride across the united states, but with 2 kids that seems far off but i'm only 27 so have plenty of time : ) anyone else into bicycles, repairing of bicycle, maintaining of them?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

I used to be an avid cyclist, now I just commute by bike.

friedchickenfuelsme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

awesome. what did you ride and what do you ride now? I just ride to de-stress. I usually ride when i'm really stressed and it's not safe for me to drive since it takes effort for me to ride fast but none to drive fast. The world is a beatiful place when you slow it down to 20 mph and really take the time to enjoy it. Do you have a helmet cam yet? I heard on the news that cyclists were catching motorsists engaging in really bad behavior towards the cyclists. I've pretty much seen it all from things being thrown at me, people trying to purposely run me into the curb to one guy physically trying to pull me in his truck when i was just starting out at 14 (yeah normally 14 year olds don't cycle but i guess it's the aspergers and my life-long love of cycling).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

i guess it is cold comfort to know i am not the only biker who gets harrassed by buttheaded motorists. but i also can understand the motorists' point of view, in that there are many bike riders who behave badly in terms of not obeying the rules of sharing public roadways. driving my car i have had the stuffing scared outta me by bike riders popping up out of nowhere in front of me, disobeying traffic signals and jay-biking across the lane against my green light.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:59 am

Used to be. No my bike is up on a stand in my room so I can "go" without being terrified of idiots in 2000 lb metal objects.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:08 pm

^^^
more like 4000 lbs metal objects.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

I play guitar while I ride a ten-speed bicycle at the same time. I've done this tens of thousands of miles the past thirty years with the same bicycle, the past twenty years with the same guitar. I love my Schwinn but I don't do my own maintenance. I take it to the Local Bike Shop. Here's a photograph of my ride:

My web site has many pages about my Schwinn. Velospace, the place for bikes also has a page about the "Minstrel Cycle".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

^^^
wow :o
your seat, if somebody put it on my bike, would qualify as a torture device. ouch. :( my caboose is too big for all but the widest most well-padded seat.

friedchickenfuelsme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

The guys on the snow valley water team i used to ride on used to laugh at me. i would be in a group of 50 and be the only one who stops at the stop sign. The snow valley team had a few guys who were very bad. My motto is don't be a d**k if you dont have to be so if you can ride side by side without obstructing traffic go for it and have a nice chat. If the road is narrow, then it won't kill anyone to save your conversation for when you can safely and civily riding 2 abreast. Just my riding philosophy but yeah young kids are the worst to cyclists when they feel invicible in their cars but they forget I can reach 44mph on the flats, and can, and have caught up to them on at a stop light. I'm a nice guy though and usually ends in them saying they're sorry while trembling at the tought if i can kick my pedals hard enough to catch them, how hard could i kick them. : ) p.s violence is not the answer but sometimes is unavoidable. if you're going to fight, win.

friedchickenfuelsme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

As for being afraid of motorists, you're more likely to be killed in your car driving the same route as on your bike . I love being on my bike and if i ever get killed doing it, I'll die doing what i love but i hope that whoever hits me catches my shoe cleat at full speed to the jugular. I'll post a pic later of my 1991 performance r203 i'm riding. not high tech but stiff and fun. also I'll never brake an intigrated shifter because i have downtube shifters and love them.

friedchickenfuelsme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

thebicyclingguitarist. maintenance on a model like that is really easy (much easier than learning the guitar). I prefer the older bikes with the open bearing bottom brackets, freewheel cogs, and threaded headsets myself. they're very primative and simple. I actually have all of the tools to do maintenance on the older bikes. Since I don't ride newer bikes due to the fact that they're expensive, I never got any of the tools to do anything to the bikes with external bottom bracket cups, but cassettes are all the same. Nothing like riding a bike maintained by the rider but not everyone has tools or space. I'm lucky enough to have gotten tools for christmas from my late mother in law a few years ago and kept building it up. I think i have a picture of all of my bicycle tools around here somewhere.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

The only reason why I'm into cycling is because I don't drive. In other words; I haven't got much of a choice. I cycle really fast though, but that's only because I want to limit the time I spend on my bike as much as I possibly can.

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2018, 7:45 am

Up to a year ago
I was a 100 mile/wk
bike commuter.
Totaled about
40,000 miles.

One too many
knock downs
by cars
sidelined me.
Head injuries
are not my friend.

I still run
a small fleet of
bikes & trailers
at work.

I’m the gardener
on an 18 acre
university campus.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2018, 7:54 am

I cycle.

Mountain Bikes and Gravel Bike.

Have a Niner Air9 mountain bike and Jamis Renegade Adventure/Gravel bike. I will do the ocassional race .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 8:03 am

for the last going on 2 decades I have ridden "bent" bikes. I will only ride a bent bike.

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2018, 8:03 am

My commuter is a
Soma Double Cross frame
with handpicked
everything else.

(My beloved
Burley Harlow
was stolen.)

My work bikes