Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 10:52 am

Hi,

So good to be here. I'm someone who found herself working with autistic/special needs children for many years before realising I am an Aspie. I am married with three Aspie children and am now home educating our youngest.

We've been away from our home country for quite a few years now but we're enjoying living in the UK. London is an amazing city. We love the cottages here and have even grown used to those narrow roads:)! And the snow...the first couple of years here, I had cars slide into mine when those gritters didn't quite make it out in time.

In my spare time, I run what is a relatively new site(an international forum) and enjoy promoting employment, as well as artwork/books etc from those on the spectrum there. Please let me know should you ever wish to take a look or wish to promote your work.

I'm looking forward to meeting others here on this amazing site!

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 11:06 am

Welcome Juliette!! Hope you enjoy WP!!.
I had a look at your site, looks interesting. 8)

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 11:28 am

Hi Juliette and welcome.

I'm trying to imagine four aspies in one house. Must be an interesting place.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:00 pm

Hello Juliette. Welcome to WrongPlanet. I hope you like it here

I'm glad you like being in London, but as us Lancashiremen say: London is s**t. ;)

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:56 pm

Hi and welcome to WP

krex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 1:33 pm

Hi Julliette......I have been working with DD clients for 4 years and met an aspie that was living at another house from our company....thats how I found out about ASNow,I am getting DX..feels like a missing piece of a puzzle.

Welcome to the site.I hope you enjoy it as much as I do(it is very addictive)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 1:58 pm

Hoping you enjoy WP!

Philostrate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2006, 2:38 pm

Welcome :)

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 2:40 pm

Hi Juliette welcome to WP

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

29 Sep 2006, 5:49 pm

Hey Juliette, and welcome! Dunno where your website is (I'll probably have to dig around to find out where), and it's actually quite convenient, because I happen to be writing (or more like typing) a story of my own (don't worry, I've go AS, so I qualify). It won't be done anytime soon, though, probably around 2010 or 2012 or something like that. It's gonna be a whopper, so far it's already 65,000 words long! Another thing to put it off is that right now I'm only 16, so when it's done I'll be around 20-22. Last putting-off factor is that I live in NZ, but that can be overcome :wink:

Hope to hear more from you!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :) .

Hi Canyonwind - As for having 4 Aspies in our home, it's most likely that we have 5. My husband is most certainly an Aspie as well. He has had an amazing career in computing in our home country of Australia, in the US and here in the UK, IQ in the top 1% of the population, very artistic, quirky, fits the criteria well and truly. Our eldest son(almost 21 years) has graduated this year with an Honours Degree in Music, is working full-time and seems quite happy in a relationship with an actress. Our daughter(almost 19 years) is hoping to become a clinical psychologist, provides art experiences for special needs children and respite for parents on demand. She's a sweet girl, very intelligent and also very musical. She has travelled extensively performing with a Chinese Orchestra at one point and is also quite a linguist. Our youngest son(7.5 years) is a whizz on the computer and already has his life mapped out! He would like to be a scientist, marry and have two children and have us all return to Australia someday. Our family life is certainly never dull. We have alot of laughs, shared interests, and are very supportive of one another. And what does an Aspie family name their cat(even before we knew of any diagnosis? Einstein:)!

We don't actually live in London, just enjoy visiting once in awhile. We live fairly close by, in Surrey. We prefer rural to city anyday and live opposite a forest here, in a lovely, peaceful village.

To Krex - you wrote "I'm getting DX...feels like a missing piece of a puzzle." I wish you well with this and that you are enjoying your work and appreciated in your chosen field. I've come to know some amazing Aspies/HFA working in the disability field. One man, worked in the field for 30 years before realizing he was HFA and being formally diagnosed. Lovely to meet you!

To Tequila - thanks for the welcome. What is Lancashire like in comparison? We're looking forward to seeing more of the UK. Just had a short break in Cornwall. Visited the famous Fistral Beach(where quite a few movies have been filmed). What a beautiful part of the world!

Thanks Irish Eyes for the welcome and for checking out the site. My Grandmother was an Irish actress, as were her parents. We are looking forward to making it over there one of these days.

To Raph522, Philostrate, xon & hyper alien - thanks for the welcome! Very appreciated.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:37 pm

...and, what about me?

In a way
We all go there

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome KBABZ. You'll find my site if you click on my profile. That's great that you're writing...would gladly promote your book when it's finished. What genre is it?
You wrote: "Last putting off factor is that I live in New Zealand, but that can be overcome."

:lol: Where would you rather live? Once, I would have said back home in Australia, but now I'm not so sure. Look forward to hearing more from you too. Thanks again.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 7:25 pm

Ah, well what I meant by that is that I live in NZ, which is a fairly tucked away and (previously) ignored part of the world. Wouldn't mind owning a bach in Fiji, though (I'd move out when the next Hurricane comes along :wink: ).

I haven't exactly found a genre for my story, it's got semi-futiristic technology, a bit of magic, comedy, a love-story, heck the main characters aren't even human (more human-esque)! I asked a friend at school who is an avid reader what genre she thought it was, and she says that my story best fits into the Science-Fantasy Genre. She also acts as a proof-reader, because often when I type up a new section for my story I print it out so my friends can proof-read it for errors and plot-holes I've missed (I HATE plot holes!). Don't worry, they quite enjoy it.

The story actually started from a random doodle I did a few years back. I came up with a story for it and it's grown ever since! Often at school I draw something from my story (in a drawing specific book so I don't doodle all over my work-books), and me, in addition to another friend, actually act as concept designers. I'm hoping to get some of the drawings into the book if it gets released (y'know, so the reader has something to relate to. Like 'Gem of the First Water' did). So far the 'book' list has three 'prolouges' (similar to what The Silmarillion and The Hobbit are to Lord of the Rings) and five, count 'em, FIVE main parts, where the meat of the story takes place. I could send you a sample if you'd like, but exactly how I have no idea...

Ah well, we'll see how it goes!

In a way
We all go there

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 9:49 pm

I want to read it!! ! Juliette, welcome to wrong planet!! ! :)

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 10:25 am

Thanks for the welcome Starbuline. :) Lovely to meet you.

Hi KBABZ - Would be great to be able to read your work, but I may have to wait till it's published. Sounds great! I've seen others post excerpts of their novels in progress on other sites, so maybe for a taster, you could post here on WP in the "Writing and Poetry" section. You are very welcome to do the same on my site. I'm sure that Jessica Kingsley Publishers would love to hear from you when it's completed.
Happy writing! :)