Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MissBeeny
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

I'm a 20 year old from Northern England, currently in my second year of University.

I'm pretty sure I have AS due to various factors (people's comments, experiences of friends with AS, my own experiences, etc.), although I haven't been diagnosed-I'm undecided as to whether it's worth trying to get a diagnosis? Also concerned about any impact a diagnosis might have on job applications, silly as that may sound.

It's a relief in a way to finally understand that I'm not mad, there's (probably) an actual basis for why I act (and think!) so differently from my family/friends, although my dad has quite a few Aspie traits himself. Actually in looking back AS explains such a lot about myself- its actually a little spooky. Anyway I'll stop now, I have a tendency to ramble:)

Anyways, lovely to meet you all!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 8:14 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

Hi MissBeeny! Welcome to Wrong Planet! Check out the interesting and helpful forums and articles here. You are among friends here.

Generally an official diagnosis is only necessary if you need treatment for your condition and need to apply to the government or an insurance company for help in getting the treatment. If you are coping okay on your own, then it might be best not to make things official, as this can indeed affect how employers and co-workers behave towards you, or even whether or not you get hired. As things are now they will percieve you as eccentric or quirky. Unfortunately, too many people don't know just what the Autism spectrum entails, and often have very mistaken views on it, which affect how they relate to us, often negatively. You can still research the Autism/Asperger's Syndrome spectrum on your own, and take the online tests that are available, so you will have an informal self diagnosis, if you really want more info on your condition. No one has to know about your online test results unless you tell them.

I am self diagnosed myself, and have chosen the "need to know" rule on it. My sister knows though, as she came across Asperger's info on her own and immediately saw me in it. When she contacted me to tell me about it, I told her that I had already learned about Asperger's, did some research, and did the online testing. My research and test results are proof enough to me that I have Asperger's.

Still, it's up to the individual. Some people insist on getting an official diagnosis even when they don't need government or insurance help with treatment. You will have to decide what's best for you.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 5:31 am

My neck of the woods, hey?

Welcome! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

MissBeeny
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2012, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Questor -those are my thoughts exactly!
I'm coping quite decently now I'm at University (school was a bit of a nightmare). You're probably right about co-workers/fellow students etc., they definitely see me as 'different' but I've worked hard to keep that to a positive or neutral kind of eccentric so far (or so I hope), I guess if 'it isn't broke don't fix it'. I have to admit to being fairly ignorant about Autism/AS myself, before being directed by a friend to look at AS!
I've taken a few of the tests and had results such as 183/200 for AS, 33/200 for NT which confirms my suspicions I think. Some of the advice on this website/others is fantastic, I'm finally beginning to understand why I am at such a loss in completely ordinary social situations. Plus now perhaps I can stop feeling stupid about my constant clumsiness which certain housemates love to point out.

I think I'll stick to just letting my family/ best friend know for now as they're surprisingly accepting:) sorry for the long reply!

Hey TenPencePiece -nice to see another Mancunian around! :) thanks for the welcome