Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2007, 10:22 am

Hi.

I lurked for a while till I felt the urge to post something, so I thought maybe it was good manners post in the welcome forum. Well, the reason I am here is pretty obvious, a fair self-diagnosis of the "mild" version. I won't bore you with unremarkable details of what could possibly be my moderate autistic traits. What I want to say is that it's not about not being able to make friends or get a girlfriend, it's the health issues that worried me.

So, to connect with the topic, I have to say I always ate a lot of bread and other gluten foods. I have a cousin who in his first twenty some years of life only ate things like bread, pasta and dairy products, and like me he was unable to attend kindergarten thoroughly. I don't think I have celiac disease, but maybe there is a dietary unbalance. I have heard that some autistic people are "cured" with a gluten/casein free diet (magnesium and B6 supplements are also suggested). I don't know if there is a correlation, nor if I can really be "cured" (whatever that means), but, mercury being ruled out, I was curious to see if the gluten hypothesis could have some merit. I am well aware that technically I may be a "fake" AS; I can't brag nothing blatantly autistic so I don't feel like I belong to this site, although I'll try to engage some discussions to see if there are people of my same wavelength.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 10:48 am

I love bread! :eats a whole loaf right now:. I know I know I am not supposed too but I love it too much to give it up.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 11:10 am

I am 'supposed' to stop eating bread, not due to celiac disease, that has been ruled out. The doctors say that...I suffer from an intolerance to wheat. :? I have magnesium and B6 supplements, but never remember to take them. I want to give up eating bread because of the pains, but it is hard when you have been raised on the bloody thing to actually give it up.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 11:11 am

Most bread contains a fair amount of aluminum from baking powder. I have to wonder.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 12:07 pm

You have to wonder when they say most autistics have candida infection and wheat allergy and/or celiac disease. Because every autistic I have discussed it with or been told by their parents craves bread and grain products like mad. Candida will make you crave more carbs because that's what IT needs to survive. And with food allergies some things you crave the most are your worst allergens.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 1:10 pm

you will read a lot on the net about aspie issues and cures and causes, the bread/gluten hypothesis is real and demonstrated but inconsistent and doesnt afffect all aspies.
i went chocolate free for a month and became clearer in my thoughts but i tried the bread thing too and for me as a diagnosed aspie, it made little difference, but try it and find out for yourself, it is significant to some aspies in the way of a better general feeling of well being but not all and dont get sucked into a cure finding mission. there isnt a cure just adaptations and moderations to our behaviour to fit in if it suits us.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2007, 7:33 am

donkey wrote:
you will read a lot on the net about aspie issues and cures and causes, the bread/gluten hypothesis is real and demonstrated but inconsistent and doesnt afffect all aspies.
i went chocolate free for a month and became clearer in my thoughts but i tried the bread thing too and for me as a diagnosed aspie, it made little difference, but try it and find out for yourself, it is significant to some aspies in the way of a better general feeling of well being but not all and dont get sucked into a cure finding mission. there isnt a cure just adaptations and moderations to our behaviour to fit in if it suits us.

I am kinda being half-depressed all my life, and I have asthma and allergies, this is what I'll pose as "room for improvements". What I certainly don't want to cure is my stoical thinking, it would just feel wrong (not to say stupid) to do that.

Yes, there are a lot of (supposed) causes of autism, I think even more than the (supposed) cases of "healing". Maybe it means there could be a lot of physiological underlying causes which provokes common psychological traits. Giftedness and autism share lots of traits, after all. I think maybe bread doesn't cause autism but autism may cause increased consumption of bread.

I don't know if it was really scientifically proven, but I've heard that when intelligent people manage to effectively solve a puzzle, riddle or enigma their brain remunerates them with opiates (NTs instead favor dopamines, which are produced when they meet other people. This is why they are so social). One of the things I've heard about the gluten theory is that gluten is ill-digested and some of it is broken into opiates. By the way, when I am under surgery I always need an extra dose of anesthetic, so maybe there is really a pattern.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:03 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nickdujunco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2007, 1:19 am

I'M A BAKER, AND I THINK I HAVE THE LIGHT KIND OF ASPIE... MY CONCLUSSION IS SCREW THE <CENSORED> STUDY DAMNIT!! ! :twisted:

beer is the path to the dark side, beer leads to drunkeness, drunkeness to beer tacos, beer tacos to dirty women. once you get a dirty woman on your jock forever will she dominate your destiny!! ! -yoda on one of his beer trips