i'm new and don't like drawing attention to myself...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jessiwrites
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm

But I wanted to tell you all a bit about who I am before I start participating in discussions.

In May, I randomly took an online empathy test linked from a tumblr I follow. I have always been considered 'cold' or 'unfeeling', so I was curious about my score. It said that my results were consistent with the scores of individuals with ASD, so I took an Asperger's test. When that score said I was likely to have AS, I did some research to see if there was any truth to that. When I saw how many of the traits applied to me, I brought it up with my family, and they informed me that they had suspected it for years but weren't sure how I would react. A friend of my mom's helps identify children on the spectrum, and after a very brief meeting with me, she was sure I had AS. She has AS as well, and talked at length with my family about my behaviors from childhood until now, and told them that there was no question in her mind that I am on the spectrum. However, I am currently in the US without any health insurance, and I'm not in a position where pursuing an official diagnosis is possible.

I am a writer and a photographer, and I fairly recently lost my full-time writing job. It's the only real job I've had for nearly ten years, so I'm feeling a bit lost. I found out I might have AS a few months before that happened, and I strongly feel that being aware of that could have helped me in my work. I wasn't fired, though, but rather laid off because of financial reasons.

I love running, and would consider health and fitness to be a special interest of mine. Some other things that cause me to ignore basic things like needing to eat or use the bathroom include Sims 3, Photoshop, reading, and researching autism. I also love architecture and design, and subscribe to hundreds of blogs that share beautiful interiors and homes. Throughout my life, I have had a number of other special interests, like My Little Ponies (the original ones, when I was a kid), legos, Disneyland and the art of Disney, Roald Dahl books, drawing (and constant, stimmy doodling), and law.

I have one best friend (my boyfriend, who likely has BPD) who understands me very well, and my father and youngest sister are incredibly supportive (in their own ways). I have a couple of other more casual friends, but most people are either too much work or just very boring. I would be interested in talking with others on the spectrum, though... thus my joining this community! So hi, and it's nice to meet you.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:53 pm

jessiwrites wrote:
I am currently in the US without any health insurance, and I'm not in a position where pursuing an official diagnosis is possible.

If you live with your parents in their home and have no job, you are technically a "homeless" adult and as such, qualify for assistance with mental health counseling. Since you're probably experiencing some depression as a result of your unemployed status, you might want to drop by your local Counseling and Guidance Center and see about being assigned to a therapist. There is a government program called 'Title 20' that will cover all Mental Health Care expenses for some people without resources, but there are a limited number of spaces available in that program, so you might have to wait a while for one to open up.

I don't have all the details, but it's something to look into if you're serious about pursuing a diagnosis and can't afford one. A therapist can't diagnose you with AS, but they can refer you to a Psychologist, who can.

:alien: Welcome to the neighborhood!

jessiwrites
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

Willard wrote:
jessiwrites wrote:
I am currently in the US without any health insurance, and I'm not in a position where pursuing an official diagnosis is possible.

If you live with your parents in their home and have no job, you are technically a "homeless" adult and as such, qualify for assistance with mental health counseling. Since you're probably experiencing some depression as a result of your unemployed status, you might want to drop by your local Counseling and Guidance Center and see about being assigned to a therapist. There is a government program called 'Title 20' that will cover all Mental Health Care expenses for some people without resources, but there are a limited number of spaces available in that program, so you might have to wait a while for one to open up.

I don't have all the details, but it's something to look into if you're serious about pursuing a diagnosis and can't afford one. A therapist can't diagnose you with AS, but they can refer you to a Psychologist, who can.

:alien: Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am actually a Canadian, so I can't take advantage of any programs like that. For now, I think I'm stuck with my unofficial official diagnosis. But thanks for the info, and it's great to meet you!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

Welcome :D

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm

Welcome! :)

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

Welcome :salut:

jessiwrites
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'm still nervous to actually take part in conversations, but I'm working up to it. You all seem so friendly. :)