Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Researcher20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2014, 10:32 am

Hello everyone. I'm a graduate student at a University in the western US. I'm enrolled in a class that requires that I do an ethnography. That basically means that I need to hang out with a group of people that have something that I think is interesting to say about the world. I hope you will let me listen to what you have to say, particularly on the subject of education. My basic interest is trying to find ways to make school more inclusive and more responsive to individual needs. I'd really be interested in talking to individuals about what they think were good educational experiences (what was a positive or worked for them) as well as what were some examples of negative experiences, things teachers should avoid.
Thanks for the opportunity to get to know you! Researcher 20

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 11:45 am

Greetings and welcome to the Wrong Planet. What you’re doing sounds great and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of data here for you research. Good luck.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:35 pm

Well the thing I think is the worst with some teachers at schools is the ones who love to lay down the law and waste time which they should be using for teaching for punishing people for minor matters for the simple joy of punishing someone. I tend to find that these "little hitlers" tend to fail to deal with major discipline matters like bullying.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2014, 3:31 pm

From my experience (both as a student, and working in higher education), I know that for me - lectures are for the most part a waste of time. Now, this isn't for all classes - but a number of my classes would have been far less burdensome if I had been allowed to simply study the material on my own and then complete assignments/tests as needed; appropriating lecture time for Q & A rather than covering all the material in the text.

I am sure that many NT students might feel the same way - but for myself, it wasn't so much that I had to sit in class and "waste" my time - it was that my time spent in lecture consumed a great deal of energy just to maintain composure in that environment.

But more than anything, is that I find most educational programs are too rigid, and provide very little in actual application. I have to be given the freedom to go down rabbit holes without the constant pressure to complete a meaningless task.

For me, formal education is a hurdle to overcome, not an opportunity.

Researcher20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

Bullying and the failure of teachers to effectively deal with it seems to be a common thread in the education forums. Does anyone have an ideas about ways to effectively stop bullying in class, on the playground, during free time or at lunch? Has anyone gone to a school with Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) program or one that uses a Restorative Justice disciplinary model? If so was bullying a problem for you at those schools o band how did the schools address bullying?

I appreciate your feedback regarding lectures. How might the environment be configured to make it less stressful for you?

Thanks for your help. Researcher20