Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2014, 5:17 pm

Hi, I'm a diagnosed Aspie and I thought I'd check this forum since I've been involved in the British Aspie community (both offline and online) for a while.

I enjoy strategy games, politics, languages, theatre and reading (Game of Thrones or Black Library novels).

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 6:03 am

Welcome! :)

BecauseImArtistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2014, 9:21 am

Welcome :) languages are the best! I've been studying japanese off-and-on for several years, it's one of my favorite hobbies :D I want to learn Korean, French, and Dutch too but it's so much work and I'm afraid I'll confuse it with my japanese! So I want to get a more solid foundation in Japanese first. I also think it would be really cool to invent my own language like Tolkien's elvish.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2014, 10:20 am

BecauseImArtistic wrote:
Welcome :) languages are the best! I've been studying japanese off-and-on for several years, it's one of my favorite hobbies :D I want to learn Korean, French, and Dutch too but it's so much work and I'm afraid I'll confuse it with my japanese! So I want to get a more solid foundation in Japanese first. I also think it would be really cool to invent my own language like Tolkien's elvish.

I'm learning French, and it's interesting seeing what words we share and other cultural differences. :) I can't imagine learning a fictional language, but I do like how they add depth to novels.

BecauseImArtistic

05 May 2014, 10:36 am

Cultural differences are SO fascinating to me! When I started learning Japanese, I found that I had to learn a LOT about japanese culture before I could even start! Language and culture are so intertwined. I had this one Anthropology professor who said that people often want to find the commonalities between cultures to define what is human, but in her opinion it is the differences between us that make us human - otherwise we'd be no different than any other species. I thought that was so eloquent.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 7:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2014, 2:44 am

Thanks for the welcomes people. :)

BecauseImArtistic wrote:
Cultural differences are SO fascinating to me! When I started learning Japanese, I found that I had to learn a LOT about japanese culture before I could even start! Language and culture are so intertwined. I had this one Anthropology professor who said that people often want to find the commonalities between cultures to define what is human, but in her opinion it is the differences between us that make us human - otherwise we'd be no different than any other species. I thought that was so eloquent.

I'm not sure about Japanese, but there's a good book called 'Pardon My French' which shows lots of cultural differences between France and Britain, such as things which typically confuse tourists and how identical words have very different meanings.

BecauseImArtistic

06 May 2014, 8:11 am

TUAndrew wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes people. :)

BecauseImArtistic wrote:

I'm not sure about Japanese, but there's a good book called 'Pardon My French' which shows lots of cultural differences between France and Britain, such as things which typically confuse tourists and how identical words have very different meanings.

Ooh, I'll have to check my library for that! It sounds really interesting!