Page 43 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 358  Next

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 4:49 am

What is your first name? Not telling

Hobbies and Interests: computer & the net, movies, dance (many styles), jrpgs & v-games, 'pleasant' music like trip-hop, chillout, nu-jazz, pop & rock (not loud shouty stuff)

Why are you here? People here are more interesting than those in real life, plus I can open up much more easily over the net (I come across as bored and having no sense of humour irl)

When were you diagnosed? Sometime around the age of 7-9 (can barely remember it, but I know it was halfway through primary school

Favorite subjects: Not applicable

Year/Grade: In my second year at university studying to be a registered nurse

Favorite music: As above; my favourite artist/band is a Brisbane band called george (although you could narrow it down to one of the two vocalists, Katie Noonan)

Books: I don't read much, but I did enjoy the Ender's Game series, and those books by that guy who did the Leonardo Da Vinci books that everyone loves to hate

TV shows/Movies: I don't watch TV. The last movie I saw that I really enjoyed was Donnie Darko. Not sure if I have a favourite though.

Instrument: Violin and piano

Do you like sports? No, unless you count dancing

Family: One sister who is 17 years old

Clothing: Anything comfortable. I used to buy my clothes from the Salvation Army shop because I'm cheap, but I haven't needed new clothes for a while now.

How did you find this website? From the Aspies For Freedom forums, which I don't go to anymore (I don't like their views, at all)

Job: Will be a registered nurse following current study

Plans for the future? Not sure.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 7:09 pm

What is your first name? Born Rosalyi; Current: Amber

Hobbies and Interests:
:roll:

Why are you here?
To find a friend

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
July/August 2006

Favorite subjects:
I like light politics
light cultural anthropology
but I go through subject swings like the seasons

Year/Grade:
2nd year college

Favorite music:
music

Books:
books

TV shows/Movies:
CNN; CSI-and all related; Comedy;

Instrument:
flute; violin; percussion

Do you like sports?
yes. I like playing them alot (or used to) I only like to watch fighting sports

Family:
no not particularly outside of my teenage son and adopted sister and her dad

Clothing:
tank top and comfy bottoms; sandals

How did you find this website?
um. all roads have been leading to rome (here). I think the first link was from a woman (now deceased) who wrote a great article about her own journey and effects of.
Her name was Patty.

Job:
unskilled-this year steelworkers assistant/fire prevention

Plans for the future?
to conqcur myself and my failings in order to both reach retirement securly while being a helpful participating member of society-or just to find relavant happiness by not being alone-alone: ie: I didn't know you all existed.

Any comments?

I've given up on spell checking myself. It is an incredible amount of work for little return

and

HI!! !! ! I'm New!!

and

Stop Killing Autistics!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 2:57 am

Name? Devon.

Age? 33.

Hobbies and Interests: In no specific order: history (very specific areas), fiction (many different sorts), trains, games of all kinds (except cards, for some reason I hate cards)

Why are you here? Figuring myself out; connecting with people who might share my differences.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I've been suspecting or curious about the possibility I might be an Aspie for about a year now.

Favorite subjects: History. English. Economics. Law.

Favorite music: Not generally a very big fan of music.

Books: Too many to list! Two recent favourites that come to mind: Shardik by Richard Adams and Aztec by Gary Jennings.

TV shows/Movies: Can't stand TV shows generally. But there are many movies I like. I think Life of Brian might be the most entertaining movie I can think of at the moment.

Do you like sports? No.

How did you find this website? Google.

Job: Basically unemployed, in any traditional sense of the term. I do a variety of odd work which keeps me busy and helps me to get by but falls short of really being employment (eg, superintendant for 16 unit apartment bldg, takes 2-4 hrs per week, work at family's rental cottages makes 8 weeks of pretty solid work every summer, few other things - total hours add up to an average of perhaps 20 hrs per week)

Plans for the future? Education. I imagine I have alot more to contribute, I just seem to have a few barriers I need help with ... I feel like I'm just a hair's breadth away from the difference between really functioning well and not functioning well at all, just the slightest bit of support would put me over the top but no idea how to access it.

Orvaskesi
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2006, 2:53 pm

What is your first name?
- Merlijn

Hobbies and Interests:
- Linguistics, philosophy/theology, drawing, reading.

Why are you here?
- To gain a better insight of myself by reading about others' experiences and sharing my own.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
- I have had strong suspicions of having Asperger's for the past seven years or so.

Favorite subjects:
- Geography, languages, history.

Year/Grade:
- In the final phase of my Ph.D. studies.

Favorite music:
- Folk, metal, folkmetal, Leonard Cohen. Or everything except rap/hip hop/r&b

Books:
- Dan Simmons Hyperion tetralogy, Donna Tartt's The Secret History.

TV shows/Movies:
- Sopranos, "A touch of Frost", the Godfather.

Instrument:
- None. Used to play a little bit guitar, and was thinking of starting again.

Do you like sports?
- I like to watch football. I hate participating in sports.

Family:
- Parents, a younger brother, three half-sisters, one half-brother.

Clothing:
- Black clothes, or lumberjack shirts. As long as they are comfortable to wear.

How did you find this website?
- Google. I heard about Asperger's by stumbling upon some guy's homepage, seeing he had pretty much exactly the same interests as I had, getting curious about this "Asperger" thing, and when I started reading about it - just about everything began to fall into place.

Job:
- Ph.D student with some teaching.

Plans for the future?
- Finishing my work, getting another job within the academic world.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 6:21 am

What is your first name? Caitlin

Hobbies and Interests: reading/writing/poetry, music (SINGING!), and art

Why are you here? Found it when researching for RE, and was hooked. :P

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 12 years old

Favorite subjects: Music, Art (though its bad this year because you're not allowed to be creative enough), Drama

Year/Grade: 11/12 (I do a 3 year senior course (y11 & 12 over 3 years))

Favorite music: All types of music!! (except rap and BAD modern (21st century) music (not all modern music is bad, just half of it)

Books: Way way too many to list here. I own two enormous bookcases and about 95% of the books in the family.

TV shows/Movies: All comedies, the simpsons etc. Lord of the Rings (best movie series ever)

Instrument: voice

Do you like sports? they're all right except im no good at them. :P I love tennis though and like cross country except im not doing sport at the moment as too much time is taken up by singing.

Family: 1 brother (normal), mum and dad (normal).

Clothing: meh. :P Whatever looks good and is reasonably fashionable.

How did you find this website? see above (RE researching etc.)

Job: no job at this stage.

Plans for the future? I don't know, but I'd like to continue singing and writing.

Any comments? I'm late for dinner so I've got to go! :D

gargouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2006, 12:24 pm

tinky wrote:
Hobbies and Interests: Internet, maths, lizards and Neopets

neopets huh? i go on there too! when i have time and am not so tired that is. It seems hard for me to sleep at times.

Neos are pretty fun.. I mostly play in the game room, but I've gotten obssessed with collecting Advent items on one of my accounts. I only have 2 pets spread between two accounts, but getting the second account was accidental. I wanted an aisha and did the "create pet" thing, only to realize after I created it that I wasn't signed in when I did it! I do the insomnia thing a lot too.

gargouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2006, 12:49 pm

AmeliaJane wrote:
Plans for the future? I plan to live happily ever after in a cottage in the country, with Les and Ozzie, our lizard.

What kind of lizard is Ozzie? I have two: Fluffy the Mali Uromastyx (who's new condo will be finished this weekend) and Spot, the Panther Gecko.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 5:04 pm

gargouille wrote:
tinky wrote:
Hobbies and Interests: Internet, maths, lizards and Neopets

neopets huh? i go on there too! when i have time and am not so tired that is. It seems hard for me to sleep at times.

Neos are pretty fun.. I mostly play in the game room, but I've gotten obssessed with collecting Advent items on one of my accounts. I only have 2 pets spread between two accounts, but getting the second account was accidental. I wanted an aisha and did the "create pet" thing, only to realize after I created it that I wasn't signed in when I did it! I do the insomnia thing a lot too.

Same here. In fact, I don't think I've had a decent night's sleep all week.

aspartame
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2006, 9:06 pm

What is your first name? You can probably just call me aspartame.

Hobbies and Interests: reading, crossword puzzles, Scrabble, Linux, palindromes, playing Civilization, rhetorical devices, rollerblading

Why are you here? I have Asperger's syndrome.

Favorite subjects: English

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: indie rock, jazz, classical

Books: Nearly all Modernist literature, most Russian Romanticists.

TV shows/Movies: I don't watch very much television, but I like Futurama, The Colbert Report, and the Daily Show. My favorite movies are 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Raging Bull, and most of Wes Anderson's films.

Instrument: None.

Do you like sports? Not really.

Family: My mother and a younger sister.

Clothing: Jeans and t-shirts, my black hoodie, sneakers.

How did you find this website? I don't remember.

Job: Cashier in a grocery store.

Plans for the future? To get my PhD.

Any comments? No.

lostatlimbo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2006, 12:43 am

What is your first name? Brett

Hobbies and Interests: Singing/Songwriting, Film (movies), Photography

Why are you here? I've been on the "Wrong Planet" my entire life.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Not officially diagnosed yet, but Asperger's - 2006.

Favorite subjects: Art, Photographyand French.

Year/Grade: Not in school anymore.

Favorite music: Mine. :) I love good songwriters (Fiona Apple and Elliott Smith), folky stuff (Joni Mitchell), indie rock (Bright Eyes) and pop (Postal Service), trip-hop and acid jazz (Portishead!), old school jazz (Billie Holiday, Count Basie) and film scores (Thomas Newman). My favorite songs all have one thing in common: They sound like they belong in a movie - usually in an important, climactic scene. Very hard to explain this!

Books: Mostly read magazines (RS, Premiere, Smithsonian), but I love all of Chuck Pahlaniuk's books, as well as Daniel Quinn's, who's "Ishmael" opened my eyes (not in regards to AS, mind you, but rather the culture we live in). "Party of One: A Loner's Manifesto" also changed my life - it explores the idea that one can relish being a "loner" - something I imagine many here could identify with.

TV shows/Movies: Don't watch much TV anymore, but love the Office and Family Guy and Arrested Development (RIP). Fav movies include: American Beauty, Meet Joe Black, Fight Club, Amelie, Winged Migration, The Ring, Donnie Darko, Almost Famous, Primer, I Heart Huckabees, most of the Coen Bros. work, and of course... MP's The Holy Grail.

Instrument: Acoustic Guitar, Voice, some Piano and Bass.

Do you like sports? Football and Hockey

Family: Don't speak to my father, work at same company as my mother. Its... interesting.

Clothing: Don't have a common style. I like blue jeans, "skater shoes", and ironic t-shirts mostly.

How did you find this website? A link on Wikipedia.

Job: Web Developer

Plans for the future? Music career or bust. Want to make films someday also. And photography. Want to travel and see as much of the Earth as humanly possible, but don't care to live past 50.

Any comments? I still can't believe there are other "Mes" out there. I'm also a little surprised at how honest and upfront I'm being here... the urge to polish and embellish my replies is missing. I feel oddly at ease posting personal information to thousands of strangers, all of a sudden.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 8:43 pm

Location: New England, USA, though I really want to go to college in Maryland.

Interests: Linguistics, dialects, grammar, Sci-fi and fantasy novels(I get VERY annoyed when somone asserts that they're actually one in the same!)

Why am I here: I've got AS, ADHD, anxiety, and depression, though I wonder if the last two aren't merely by-products of the first two.

Favorite subjects in school: Well, I enjoy reading, so I'd have to say that English is my best subject, though I'm generally disgusted with the educational system in general, teacing to the SAT, etc. THinking about standardized tests makes me go like this: :twisted:

Favorite music: ahh, too many to count, though my taste tends to go either to 80s rock (Talking Heads, Wall of Voodoo) or classical, though everyone always tends to think that I love Yo-Yo Ma when they find that out, which I don't.

Favorite books: Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (a must read for anyone who dislikes organized religion) Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Dune, Ender's Game, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, I could go on..and on...

Family: Yes. What exactly are you asking? I didn't come out of a test tube, if that's what you're asking.

Clothing: Otherwise I would be quite chilly.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

Tangerine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2006, 3:38 pm

Hobbies and Interests: documentary films, maps, biblical archaelogy, politics

Why are you here? To connect with other folks of a similar nature, learn more about myself.

When were you diagnosed? Nothing official, a semi-recent self-dx.

Favorite subjects: Geography, Sociology, Comparative Religion, Biology

Year/Grade: Did three years of university.

Favorite music: Folk and (conscious) hip hop. Like almost any genre, as long as the music's either well-performed or meaningful. Exception: screamy punk bands, heavy metal, and certain types of "loud" music I can't tolerate.

Books: Two floor-to-ceiling bookcases. All non-fiction. Lots of textbooks.

TV shows/Movies: ReGenesis, Numb3rs, The Office, Weeds, Big Love, almost anything on the Documentary Channel, Garden State, Murderball, Spellbound, Microcosmos, Baraka, Trembling Before G-d.

Instrument: None.

Do you like sports? I like my bike, but more as a mode of transport than a sport.

Family: I tolerate them.

Clothing: Long denim skirts, with sweaters (or sometimes t-shirts or casual blouses). I like to be comfortable, but still a little conservative. Don't think too much about it when I get dressed in the morning, really.

How did you find this website? Google or Wikipedia.

Job: Government-ish. Pays okay, moderately satisfying. Ready to move on soon. (But hate applying for new jobs-- usually luck into work, and only move on when I luck into something new. Not good at interviews.)

Plans for the future? Winning a vast sum of money so I can build my own oceanfront house in the woods and never do anything except read and study. Failing that, spend the next ten years paying off my student loans and then go back to university again.

Any comments? Nope.

Periwinkle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2006, 3:40 pm

What is your first name? Not telling just now

Hobbies and Interests: English, art, philosophy, crochet, religion

Why are you here? I'm fairly sure I have Asperger's syndrome or other PDD, and it clearly runs in my family (my aunt is autistic, and at least two other people on my mother's side have undiagnosed Asperger's). My mother, who is a psychologist, refuses to believe I might have it, though she knows I have a serious problem with social interaction and my psychiatrist mentioned the possibility; I think she just sees too many differences between myself and my autistic aunt. I also have bipolar disorder, which runs in my father's family, and borderline ADD, and I might have Central Auditory Processing Disorder as well. Fun! What I'm mainly here for is to check out the community and see if I can find like-minded people who understand what I'm living with.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I haven't been diagnosed with PDD yet.

Favorite subjects: English, art

Year/Grade: Just starting first year of college

Favorite music: Lots: rock, industrial, alternative, country, new age, show tunes, pop, and more.

Books: Harry Potter, Earth's Children (by Jean Auel), cartoons such as Bloom County and Dilbert, and more

TV shows/Movies: CSI, Mythbusters, Nova, the Simpsons, The Daily Show

Instrument: Used to play trumpet in the school band. I loved it, but I've moved on to other things.

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: None.

Family: I live with my mother (a psychologist), my father (an accountant and musician), and my older brother (a Math major). We also have a dog and I have two guinea pigs.

Clothing: Generally jeans and a tee shirt, but I'm dressing more femininely lately (part of my ploy to get a boyfriend). Generally I refuse to wear it if it's not comfortable. Quite often I get in trouble for wearing mismatched or too-casual clothing to a formal event, but I'm getting better at recognizing "bad" fashions. (Though I still think socks with sandals and mixed plaids are okay.)

How did you find this website? Followed a link from Wikipedia.

Job: Looking for a part-time one to get me through college; no luck yet.

Plans for the future? I'd like to be a perpetual student. I've been looking into careers as a proofreader, writer, or maybe an entrepreneur.

Any comments? I hope to make new friends and have fun here.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 12:47 am

What is your first name? Jim

Hobbies and Interests: History (military history, roman, communist, political, other...), contemporary politics, baseball, my dog and cat, reading, spider solitaire, Out of the Park Baseball

Why are you here? I find support here.

When were you diagnosed? Not as of currently, but possibly very shortly.

Favorite subjects: History, English

Year/Grade: N/A

Favorite music: A wide variety.

Books: 1984, Animal House by Orwell; Mao by Chang, Witness by Chambers, For Want Of A Nail by Sobel, many others

TV shows/Movies: (I don't watch live or series TV regularly) 24 (on DVD), Prison Break (on DVD), Special Report with Brit Hume (on occassion), James Bond Movies, Star Trek (DVD), others (DVD)

Instrument: I am not trained but can play the piano to a degree

Do you like sports? I like Baseball (it's history), hockey (action), football (drama). Basketball less so. I can't watch Soccer (no offense).

Family: Dad (soccer ref!), Step-mom (same), Brother (moving out shortly), Step brother (learning disabilty, diagnosed bipolar, anger problems). My mother is deceased (suicide when I was 10)

Clothing: I'm a mess with clothing. I always put on the stuff backwards or inside out. I have no idea and don't care really what the fashion is. I do believe, though, in wearing suit and tie for "important" events.

How did you find this website? Through some other website that I no longer remember.

Job: None at this time.

Plans for the future? Getting a diagnosis, figuring things out from there.

Any comments? Um...nice site. Good idea on this form thing. Hope I didn't fill it out before and forget.

Last edited by jimservo on 27 Aug 2006, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:19 am

What is your first name? Tom. Definitely NOT Thomas!

Hobbies and Interests:
Steam locomotive fireman on the Bluebell Railway and Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway. Classic car enthusiast but have had to sell my car (was a 1965 Alfa Romeo 'step-nose' Guilia Sprint GT). Love indie rock music and some other genres e.g. trip-hop, big beat and drum'n'bass. I love to read and write, and I can read very quickly if I'm interested. Also love learning new things, but find it difficult getting to know new people. Wish I could play a musical instrument, but I'm very shaky and clumsy and no good at stuff like that. Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow record the tunes in our heads without having to be able to play?

Why are you here?
Trying to work things out. I have a number of different issues and I don't know whether I have AS or whether I'm just a depressed hypochondriac loser looking for an excuse! The name of the site certainly struck a chord and I can really identify with some of the forum comments so maybe I'm in the right place.

When were you diagnosed?: Still working on it.

Favourite subjects: English, technical drawing (with pencils - no CAD back then!), history, geography. Took a BA (Hons.) in Cultural Studies and History of Art and Design at Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent, specialising in Victorian social history which I love.

Year/Grade: n/a

Favourite music: Indie, rock, grunge, stoner rock, baggy, punk, shoegazer.

Favourite albums (in no particular order):
Ride - Going Blank Again
Reverse - The Jersey Switch
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - ACME
Fu Manchu - Daredevil
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Compulsion - Comforter

Books:
Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Robert Rankin - Raiders of the Lost Car Park
Any cartoon book by Rowland Emett
Anything by Jasper Fforde
Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks
The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson

TV shows: I don't watch much. Anything a little subversive. "South Park", "Have I Got News For You" and -er- I dunno really. Funny but realistic (ish) programmes like "Northern Exposure," "Life on Mars," "Sugar Rush," "Scrubs" and that totally awesome soap about the Manchester chav scum family which I can never remember the name of...

Movies: 12 Monkeys, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix, Wild Things + anything by Pixar. I don't like anything involving cruelty or nastiness just for the sake of it.

Instrument: a down-tuned guitar played through a fuzz box.

Do you like sports? Not really, although sitting watching cricket in the park is very relaxing.

Family: Divorced parents. Dad is great but exhibits some AS traits. Mum is well-meaning but really gets on my nerves. Many girlfriends in the past but none of them could put up with my mood swings, depression and need for space. It's messed things up a lot.

Clothing: I'm a T shirt and jeans person, particularly Billabong T-shirts and jumpers and Easy jeans. Favourite T-shirt is a blue Fu Manchu one. Quicksilver clothes look good but they fall to bits too quickly. Problem is I'm 31 and although I really like these clothes it's starting to look like I'm pretending to be a teenager, which is awkward. Not my intention but that's what people think.

How did you find this website? Through Wikipedia. Found out about Asperger's through the coverage of Craig Nichols of The Vines, and the more I read the more it sounded like me, so now I've finally got round to finding out properly.

Job: Train Planner for First Capital Connect. Changing jobs in November though, which I'm very worried about.

Plans for the future? I don't know what'll make me happy. Thinking about living on a narrowboat to avoid hassle and have my own neat little space, but it's a gamble. Not sure at the moment.

Any comments? "I'm worst at what I do best, and for this gift I feel blessed. I found it hard, it was hard to find.. oh well, whatever, never mind". Nirvana sleeve notes, Nevermind album.

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2006, 10:38 pm

My first name is Joseph.
I'm 15 years old.
I live in California.
I'm fascinated with politics, sociology, sexology, andrology, archaelogy, languages, movies, books, anthropology, learning, theology, and the Internet.
Well I heard this was a great AS site and since I have AS and Hyperlexia I decided to show up.
I was diagnosed 2-3 years ago by Dr. Alex Peterson in Oakland.
My favorite subject in school is weight lifting, peer aide, and english.
I'm a sophmore.
I love pop, black metal, death metal, foreign music, classical music, classic rock, psychdelic music, goth, and techno.
I love fantasy, non fiction, horror, science fiction, fiction, plays, poetry, and gothic horror.
I LOVE anime, monk, the dead zone, stargate sg-1, stargate atlantis. I watch adult cartoons. I also like cult films and b- minus stuff. I also like mainstream movies.
I am terrible at musical instruments.
I'm okay at weight lifting I can benchpress 115.
I live with my both my biological parents. I have two biological brothers, 1 half brother, 2 half sisters, and 1 biological sister.
I wear black jeans, a band t-shirt or a black shirt, plaid shirts, and dress shoes or boots. I also wear a black trench coat. I also wear a fedora and bowtie.
Dr. Alex Peterson told me about this site.
I volunteer at the public library and I'm a student.
I plan to go to a university in California for my undergraduate and then transfer to a school in Europe or Oceania. I plan to study Sociology, Sexology, Andrology, Anthropology, Theology. I plan to become a college teacher teaching those clases.