How many times have you been to the ER?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StitchwitchD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2007, 11:32 pm

Just curious to compare notes with other people here...

Here's my list:
1. Broken collar bone- fell off a chair at 9 months
2. Severed pinky finger- attempted to carry a can of apple juice up the stairs at 18 months , fell, and it landed on my hand. (I can actually remember this happening)
3. Needle stuck in foot- 2 years old
4. 7 stitches in chin- fell while figure skating at age 9
5. 10 stitches in ankle- grazed it against metal part of reclining chair foot rest while reading at age 10
6. Broken foot- miscalculation while doing handstand at 11
7. 7 stitches in foot- stepped on cat food can lid because I was 9 months pregnant and couldn't see my feet.

Those are the ones I can think of that were serious enough for the ER. There have been lots of more minor injuries, like getting road rash over most of my body after wiping out being dragged in a wagon behind a bike, spraining my ankle while walking down stairs, getting bitten on the butt by a wolf hybrid, burning my hand with nacho cheese, and almost impaling my wrist on the spikes while climbing over a cemetary wall. There have been lots of routine injuries not worth mentioning, like burning my hand with an iron or jabbing a seam ripper under a fingernail. I never kept track of how many times I got beaten up in elementary school, but since I never got any injuries needing medical attention, it doesn't count.

So, I'm curious what kinds of injuries other people here have had, and whether anyone is as klutzy as me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 11:38 pm

I had been in the emergency room twice.

1st time: Christmas Eve 1992, just turned 13. I was treated for bronchitis, which was close to becoming pneumonia.

2nd time: August 1996, at age 16: I was still learning how to drive, and was rear-ended by a pickup truck. I went in for x-rays, and fortunately, there were no serious injuries.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 1:56 am

Never.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 2:07 am

1st time: Severed a major nerve in my right arm when I had an accident on my bike. I have very little feeling in it to this day.

2nd time: Appendix went kaboom, Doctor said it was just indigestion. Days later when I was incapactated with pain and vomiting, went to hospital, rushed into surgery.

martin_nyc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2007, 4:01 am

First: I was 2. Running in grandparents' basement, tripped (situation normal) and gouged forehead above eye on piano pedal, still have pretty cool scar though it's lightened over time. Piano was not destroyed but is no longer in tune.
Second: I was 14. Fell off bike (notice a pattern?) and two screws on the bike became lodged above my shin. Needed a drainage tube in one of the holes. Cool scars.
Third: I was 18. X-rays for neck injury from playing rugby. Negative. Involvement of clumsiness suspected but unconfirmed.
Fourth: I was 26. Severe pharyngitis. My throat was so swollen it was pressing on my ear canals causing havoc.

Not counting times when I wasn't the patient.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 4:04 am

Oops, missed one. I always forget about it, cos it was YEARS ago, plus the scar is on my forehead so I don't see it often. Tripped over a rocking chair and dashed my head open on a skirting board - split right through my skull, obscene amounts of bleeding, the full works. Luckily, no brain damage.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 4:20 am

For me: I had a bad sunburn once. For those I love, more times than I want to think about.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 5:02 am

Although I've been to emerg a couple of times for illness and other general crap, I've not yet been there due to clumsiness. That's just luck though, I think; I'm very uncoordinated and I run into door jambs several times daily. I can't seem to go through the center of a doorway.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 5:05 am

Twice that I can remember, once I cut my finger with a knife, the other time I was coughing too much and I couldn't breath. (the doc said I had temporary athsma, WTF?)

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 6:00 am

I broke my leg on a bouncy castle once
I can't remember how many times I've been to hospital though, I fell over and hurt my knee a few times in primary school though

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Apr 2007, 7:21 am

i've been to the er a couple of times but I've only been sent in an ambulance once and that was on wednesday.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 7:56 am

alex wrote:
i've been to the er a couple of times but I've only been sent in an ambulance once and that was on wednesday.

ohh no, what happened alex???

i never went in ambulance but have been to er just once for eye injury

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:01 am

Age 9 -- severe ear infection

I was a real mess as a teenager and I self-injured and made 1 suicide attempt... that all resulted in about 5 ER trips as a teen. :(

Other than that, 2 ER trips for bleeding during pregnancy in my 20s.

I've had to take 2 trips to the ER for my kids.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:37 am

I had an ear infection once, not that bad though
The doctor gave me horrible banana flavoured medicine :!:

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:41 am

I cant remember much from before 4 so:

Age 4 - Glass in foot

Age 6 - badly sprained wrist

Age 7 - glass in arm

Age 8 - Broken Rib

Age 10 - Sprained Ankle

Age 13 - Torn ligaments and muscles in upper thigh. Damage to knee also sustained.

Age 15 - Stone in eye

Age 17 - Damage to ear sustained

Age 17 - Hand damaged

Age 17 - complications with hand blood clot on side of hand

Age 18 - Hand damaged again

Age 18 Hand damaged again

Age 19 hand damaged again

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 9:54 am

At 5, I had stitches on my eyelid.

At 24, I had a seizure.

At 33, I had a severe case of the flu that made me pass out.