Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

momofmax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2016, 8:01 pm

I found this site, just hoping to find out more info. My son was diagnosed a few weeks ago. It's a little overwhelming. I was told they don't use the term Aspergers anymore. They use the term high functioning Autism. Ok, now I'm wanting to learn more. I look forward to it. We live in California.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 10:03 pm

Hey momofmax welcome. :sunny:

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2016, 1:21 am

Hi momofax and welcome! Tell us a little bit about your son. Does he have a good school to go to? What are his interests? What do you think is your biggest challenge as a mom raising a high functioning autistic son? Do you have other children? By the way, Happy Mother's Day!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 2:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 2:39 pm

"High functioning" Is PC nonsense. Call me an aspie and proud of it, in spite of what some other people say. :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:33 pm

Welcome to WP! Hope you get the info you need, and that your son is doing well.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 7:28 pm

Welcome, if you have any questions on autism you've come to the right place

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 7:44 pm

Let him learn on his own. The public school-systems will only cause problems that stifle his creativity. Beware of the psychotropic-drugs that the public-schools try to push onto your children (the psychiatric-drugs are deadly neuro-toxins and I can provide scientific-documentation to prove this if you need to double-check and research this claim for yourself).

momofmax wrote:
I found this site, just hoping to find out more info. My son was diagnosed a few weeks ago. It's a little overwhelming. I was told they don't use the term Aspergers anymore. They use the term high functioning Autism. Ok, now I'm wanting to learn more. I look forward to it. We live in California.

For your information, and for his future, know that various reputable schools offer free on-line courses, even at the graduate-level of learning. FREE, mind you, and, not only that, some of them even mail you a Certified/Sealed/Embossed Certificate/Diploma for successful completion, such as from MIT. I might even hire/recruit him some day if he's not indoctrinated by the mind-damaging public school-curriclums.

Make SURE that you teach your son how to keep control over his thoughts/emotions. Most of us are usually not extremely social, and our social-groups will usually be with a small group of the same friends from school at a time, when we are in school. I have had the opportunity of the experience of having become very famous in the past, and as a result, I know from personal-experience that interactions of both positive and negative multiply when that happens. Give him the tools to be able to handle negativity, protecting his own mind/emotions, and the rest will take care of itself.

One version of the Mental-Fortification material can be found here... http://www.the-testament-of-truth.com/t ... eminar.htm

Good luck with nuturing your son. Some day he may do great things for the world as a result !

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 3:36 am

It's not really High functioning Autistic, that is a specific category within classic autism.
We are ASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder. You can also get high functioning within ASD too.

High functioning refers specifically to Executive Function. The frontal lobe. If that is untouched by autism, the person will be able to plan, remember the plan, and execute the plan. Executive Function definition: "It is an umbrella term for the neurologically-based skills involving mental control and self-regulation."

Anyway, welcome.
Read through these pages, buy books, find a local group. It's not all bad, really :mrgreen:

momofmax

07 May 2016, 1:21 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm still learning the proper terms. My son is in public school. The school seems like a good fit SO FAR. We will see what the future holds for him. He is on a 504 plan, as of now. He does not qualify for an IEP yet. His interests include the solar system, baseball, and legos. He has some friends that he really really enjoys. I can see that it's difficult for him to get in there and start playing. He does have a best friend. His best friend has Sensory Processing Disorder. They go to the same OT. I sense that he, also, may be aspergers. My son was also diagnosed with ADHD. His grades are average. I think his ADHD definitely affects his grades. I don't believe in medication unless it's absolutely necessary. He's the kindest boy ever! He has a twin sister who is pretty much the opposite of him. She's super social. I'm hoping she can help him through his school years.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 6:05 pm

What I've learnt from having aspergers:

Practicing Socializing is good and Slowly build the intensity.

Also I had to learn to turn my focus to the world instead of inwards.

AceCadet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2016, 6:21 pm

Hello and welcome! :mrgreen: