The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 916 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919 ... 1006  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:19 am

probably cause their fingers don't seize up and they can still apply the required pressure to open the darned things. :evil:

i asked the pharmacy to NOT put childproof caps on my elderly CAT'S medicine. i mean, the cat was not going to get into the meds and take too many. they did anyway. my hands were acting up that day, had to wait for the kid to get 'em open. most annoying.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 9:45 am

Nanerl, I had a job interview on Thursday with the State of Oregon.

I wore my new suit coat and my nice new crinkle blouse and my work casual slacks but with moderate MaryJanes (with the strap across) black leather shoes. ya gotta feel comfy if you are going to give your best.

it was 10 blocks in town by the Capitol building, of of course I had to take my bike. It was lovely that morning, but by the time for the interview it was torrential thunderstorms!

I got splashed by a bus on the downtown street so once I got there I was soaked. But hey, they want to know if you can take a licking and keep on ticking, so I quick took off my muddy dress raincoat and stashed it in the restroom, and dried off as well as I could. I quick applied my lip stain (can't keep the lipstick on, the stain works better) and dashed out to the receptionist to get my entry badge and sign for my release of the State Interviewer to ask me questions. As I was shaking the hand of the Director of the Department (who had just walked in with the Governor and the Gov was just walking on with his entourage) some lady comes running out of the Ladies with my muddy dripping raincoat squawking "Is this your raincoat? Did you leave it on the door of the stall? I walked in to use the toilet and bla blabla bla. . "

well, they aren't going to forget me!

Being an Aspie can be an asset, you know. People that only get embarrassed rarely are at a disadvantage in social situations, but we Aspies are quite used to being the odd one out and know how to make the embarrassment work. Of course I took it all with acquiescence to the absurd. I cordially thanked the lady and took my sodden raincoat from her, holding it out from me all spiffy in my professionally perfect pant suit as it dripped muddy water onto the corridor floor.

I didn't even want to look at the Director at this point who was making little noises like she wanted to do something . . but frankly I didn't want to go there, so I quickly excused my self from her and went to the receptionist and asked her if I could leave my coat in the hall. She said she would put it where they dry out their umbrellas and I could pick it up after.

And I rejoined the Director.

Although I had hastily dried my hair with yards of cranked out State budgeted paper toweling, it was the humidity in the air with my hypohydrosis condition that causes me to have my own (rain forest) climate inside my clothes I was dripping sweat ( you can pretty up the word with excessive perspiration, but you can't pretty up the sweat) dripping down my face and soaking my hair again. I caught a look at it after the interview in that same restroom mirror and just sighed. . . the mousse was probably not a good idea that morning. . :roll:

However, back in the interview (with a panel of three) one of the questions was "Have you ever had to make a quick decision and live with the consequences? How did other people react to your decisions."

I just looked over to the Director and she said to the interviewer "Carol? let me answer this one for her, OK?" and related the story from her point of view.

I wasn't stellar, but I do think it went well.

Merle

and yeah, I have that seizing up of the hands, too. I think typing helps to keep them in motion, though.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm

Interesting thread. I just dropped in for a moment to say hi. I'm not the best conversationalist unless I'm perseverating on something.

:oops:

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 5:14 am

I Tetraquartz, welcome to the cafe!
What is the avatar you have ?

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2010, 10:32 am

Hi Lemon!

The avatar is of me pointing to a section of one of my old art pieces from art school. Just messing about one day with the camera in my room. :lol:

Botti
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:10 pm

Tetraquartz wrote:
Hi Lemon!

The avatar is of me pointing to a section of one of my old art pieces from art school. Just messing about one day with the camera in my room. :lol:

Nice dragon. :)

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2010, 2:30 pm

Botti wrote:
Tetraquartz wrote:
Hi Lemon!

Nice dragon. :)

Thank you. :)
Actually it's a lion-headed cherubim, one of the four guardians of the throne of God in Revelation. :D
I do like drawing dragons the most, though.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:00 pm

very nice indeed!
do you still do arts?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:28 pm

Tetraquartz, I would love to see the entirety of that painting.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2010, 10:27 pm

Okay! Here it is.

I've other art on Deviant Art , but most of it is several years old, now. Some of it is a from decade past or more.
Been doing some small art lately but my most recent work is not posted online. :)

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm

Nice work, Tetraquartz. :thumleft:

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm

Thanks very much! :D

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 8:47 am

hm after having seen all this beautiful dragons and creatures... now i'm going to have to beg and beg until you post some of your recent art online :D
have you been a professional illustrator? (question in the past since you say you do not do much lately)

I've always wanted to be able to paint a beautiful dragon, but never came that close
this is one of my best attempts :
http://www.coroflot.com/public/individu ... d=2714123&
(but it is not as elegant, a bit stiff actually)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 8:58 am

thank you Sarah! I now have your dragon roaring flames on my computer desktop!

Merle

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:38 am

ha, I think it is suited for that yeah, still make sure it can't break out ... :-o

is the picture big enough for a desktop? I can send you a bigger one (or better photographed, but that should be something for next week when I'm going to photograph my new triptychs)

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2010, 10:54 am

lemon wrote:
hm after having seen all this beautiful dragons and creatures... now i'm going to have to beg and beg until you post some of your recent art online :D
have you been a professional illustrator? (question in the past since you say you do not do much lately)

Yes, I did some professional illustrating for a while. it was hard to do because it involved interacting with people, trying to figure out what they wanted, and trying to get it done. Trouble is, when a client got fussy or didn't communicate clearly, I'd lose momentum and then the job would fizzle. It really killed my creative drive for a while. Was getting seriously burned out. I finally gave up on being a professional and decided to just do art for the sake of doing art, and not think of it as a moneymaker. Not to mention I was a single parent of two kids, one with autism and the other with ADHD. I had to embrace the parenting job and not the professional art job. Now that my kids are grown, (one lives with me as a dependent adult, the other is in the military.)

Quote:
I've always wanted to be able to paint a beautiful dragon, but never came that close
this is one of my best attempts :
http://www.coroflot.com/public/individu ... d=2714123&
(but it is not as elegant, a bit stiff actually)

Oh, but I like it! Dragons can be painted in so many ways, realistic or stylized, it all works. This dragon is effective for scaring off the trolls. LOL

Had a look at your portfolio, really enjoyed it, such great pattern work, and your "kids" art was wonderful. There's an element that goes beyond the visual, that makes it intriguing, though it's hard to describe. I'm not good at critiques at all, so I don't give them, but simply wanted to say like like your work very much.