Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

thapointgod21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2016, 7:37 pm

Hi,

I'm new to wrong planet and i'm looking for some perspective on being on the spectrum as an adult. I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome two years ago, but my diagnosis was recently changed to High Functioning Autism. I am 28 now, but as a child I was wrongly diagnosed and medicated for ADHD. I'm finding that much of the resources and focus of ASD is for children and I am finding it hard to find a community of adults who understand what I am dealing with. Are there any resources for adults and is there anyone else out there who can offer me some advice?

Velcrowalls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

Hi. I'm twenty three and I was diagnosed at fourteen and even with knowing for that long it didn't really help with the adult world but if it makes you feel any better you aren't alone.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

Greetings and welcome to the wrong planet. You will find that there are a lot of adults here that share your struggles, me being one of them. I would agree that a lot of what you see on HFA is geared towards children initially. I started coming here back in May and it has been a great resource for finding additional information that pertains to adults. Again, welcome. Kind regards Shark

surteyspatha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2016, 10:24 pm

ha in my younger years i was misdiagnosed with aspergers - they later recanted their label realizing i was unaffected of any sort of autistic behaviour

it was merely a case of extreme boredom - i have pretended to have ocd based off the character monk and it was incredibly convincing they even suspected for depression

and hello

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 12:02 am

Welcome. This is the community you're looking for.

I'm 29 and I am very fortunate to live in a very autism-friendly area. I know of local groups for autistic adults. Personally, I choose not to access them as I don't see a need to. But, I also benefit hugely from the support of my husband. I am very lucky to have all of this available, though I would say that WP is (aside from my husband) the most valuable resource I have access to.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

Hey thapointgod21 welcome. :sunny:

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 2:40 pm

Hey :) This is the best resource I've found by far. There's not a lot geared at high functioning adults, I think if your autism isn't picked up as a kid then you're unlikely to get much in the way of meaningful support from government, charities etc.
WP is the place to be :D

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

Welcome!