Please allow me to introduce myself...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 8:12 am

I should have started this "Hi, I'm new!" topic before throwing in my two bob's worth in a couple of other threads, but better late than never. The "Questions About You" template, courtesy of the_enigma and vetivert, seems a good way to begin:

My first name is a generically female one. I'm fondly known to my nearest and dearest as "The Dragon," especially first thing in the morning. Another alter ego is "Bloodhound" (Shush! it's heaps cooler than "Sniffer Dog") because I am a locator-of-lost-objects extraordinaire.

My age is 51. I do not think, talk, or act like other 51-year-olds in my location, which is a small town south of Sydney, Australia. Hobbies and interests include: husband and two children, cat, and Internet, not always in that order.

I am here because I knew there must be others who, like me, do not think or behave like "everybody else." The Web, I figured, was the place to find them - you! - and sure enough, here you are.

I am self-diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I am doctor-diagnosed with bipolar and OCD.

I am a uni graduate (Arts) with a liking for anthropology, sociology and linguistics. I was never any bloody good at maths.

My favourite music varies according to the venue and the company. Usually I let the kids pick, so mostly hiphop and techno, plus the music in whichever games they're playing. My car's radio is permanently tuned to Triple J. (www.abc.net.au/triplej)

Books we are reading at bedtime: Artemis Fowl, Eragon, Harry Potter. Books I enjoy on my own: science fiction, the Kinsey Millhone series, books about Buddhism. We have stacks of DVDs of TV shows such as Firefly, My Name is Earl, and John Safran vs God, and movies such as... well, there are far too many to list. Someday I will get around to watching them.

I would have liked the ability to play an instrument, but sadly I was born with a musical talent bypass. Unfortunately I'm not much chop at sport either, though I did a lot of cycling before the kids were born. Spectator sport: I like watching one-day cricket, and also thoroughbred racing, but only if someone I know has a horse in it.

Preferred clothing: anything that doesn't chafe and requires no ironing.

I think that about covers it. I'm delighted to have found you!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 8:25 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 8:53 am

Hello and welcome! :)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 9:03 am

Welcome Aboard!! !! !! :)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 9:08 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

Of course, I will allow you to introduce yourself!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 9:10 am

Hiya. Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2007, 10:40 am

Hi welcome!

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:31 am

welcome to WP

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:00 pm

It's always sad to see someone who has a severe deficiency in their taste in music.

I personally have a serious case of Music Geekyness.

I like 2613 songs which goes up approximately 20 everyday. And those songs are done by 247 different artists, in 97 different styles of music adding up to 13.61 GBs of music.

I need a faster Internet Connection. :(

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jun 2007, 5:01 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet :!: :!:

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:24 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words of welcome. I've just switched antidepressant meds and the past fortnight has been... unsettled. I haven't actually sat with arms wrapped around knees while rocking to and fro, groaning loudly, but now I totally understand why a person would wish to do that.

Deus ex machina, don't despair! I'm not a complete musical illiterate, honest! I adore hearing music performed live. I like orchestral music, bush bands, jazz combos, heck, I even like The Wiggles (check out "Can You Point Your Fingers and Do the Twist," that's what I'm talkin' about). I lost count ages ago of the number of folk festivals and rock concerts I've been to. Children's choirs turn me to mush. Nothing wrong with a good hard-rocking pub band either.

Once upon a time, in the 70s and 80s, I would have killed to own the entire Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin œuvre. I have the means to do that now if I still wanted to, but paradoxically, I've lost the "completist" urge. I might shell out occasionally for a compilation CD, but nowadays I'm happy to let music find me instead of the other way around.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:38 am

Strange that you should be female.... from the thread title, I expected you to be "... a man of wealth and taste."

Welcome. I suspect you will have to give up the antidepressants. Here we tend to skim along being so un-depressed that it'll hurt. (Or some such comment). In any case, what's wrong with a bit of stimming... in the privacy of your own home, of course. :)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:58 am

You are very welcome!

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 5:23 am

SleepyDragon wrote:
Thanks everyone for the kind words of welcome. I've just switched antidepressant meds and the past fortnight has been... unsettled. I haven't actually sat with arms wrapped around knees while rocking to and fro, groaning loudly, but now I totally understand why a person would wish to do that.

Deus ex machina, don't despair! I'm not a complete musical illiterate, honest! I adore hearing music performed live. I like orchestral music, bush bands, jazz combos, heck, I even like The Wiggles (check out "Can You Point Your Fingers and Do the Twist," that's what I'm talkin' about). I lost count ages ago of the number of folk festivals and rock concerts I've been to. Children's choirs turn me to mush. Nothing wrong with a good hard-rocking pub band either.

Once upon a time, in the 70s and 80s, I would have killed to own the entire Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin œuvre. I have the means to do that now if I still wanted to, but paradoxically, I've lost the "completist" urge. I might shell out occasionally for a compilation CD, but nowadays I'm happy to let music find me instead of the other way around.

Cool, I mostly like Romantic era Classical, and a variety of Jazz. I also like bands that mix Folk, and the other two styles with a variety of other music.

Like Ephel Duath, a Metal band that's influenced by Jazz and Punk.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson