Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 9:01 am

Aavikkorotta wrote:
Ah, I should have included memory in the survey! That would have been interesting to compare.
I guess it's too late now though.

I have an excellent memory too. I can remember things word-for-word from earlier in the conversation when others can't even remember the last thing they said. And I can memorize a script for a skit the morning before the performance.

My suitor is diagnosed with Asperger's, though, and he has a poor memory. So there must be something else that influences that.

My memory sucks, I have issues with recall and often burn food or forget what I am talking about mid sentence. However, other than not being able to recall things my memory is quite good. I remember a lot of details, and remember very far back even into infancy.

I get a touch sour about it because my great grandfather who was likely an autistic savant, had a photographic memory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the main question, just being myself and my service dog.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Orion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2018, 2:39 pm

Special interests are nice. Also, ability to see mathematical patterns.

larsbnf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2018, 1:10 pm

Orion wrote:
Also, ability to see mathematical patterns.

I remember seeing patterns in math during elementary school and getting so excited about it.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 1:46 pm

Beauty of math as a youth
The world is my fidget.
My wife accepting all of them for almost XX years.

By the way early in our relationship she brought a stack of books on being with an autistic man. That was pre diagnosis

I’m looking forward to bringing all my traits into retirement soon.

Just bought shirt
Autism does not have to define you.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2018, 4:38 am

Probably my faultless memory.
Because of that I've been able to recognise all the bad things NT's were doing to me in the past.
This has allowed me to learn - even though they did not give me any constructive feedback.

TheForgetivePanda326600
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2018, 10:11 am

My favourite is the logical thinking too 8)
Makes it harder to talk to most other people (neurotypicals) but it really helps me and my grades/future are all I really care about - my logical thinking is what makes them so enjoyable.

Hydromind
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2018, 12:27 pm

My favorite trait is getting lost in my inner world. NTs can do this too, but I notice it happens more often with neurodiverse individuals. My younger sister and I always have a movie going on in our heads of our current interests. Being so indulged in our inner worlds help us learn skills (that excite us) much faster, and allow us to create rich fantasy worlds in our minds. My inner world is so fascinating to me that I don't even need to watch TV or play video games, I can just create whatever I want in my mind.

Hydromind
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2018, 12:38 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Compassion for animals, especially cats

Unfortunately, this didn't apply to me. I never tried to be mean to my cat, but I struggled for a long time to understand her cues. I always tried to show her that I loved her... by forcing her to cuddle me... :oops:

I was younger back then, and fortunately, my cat and I now have a very strong bond now. My cat practically lives in my room now. She sticks her paws under my door whenever it is closed.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 1:23 pm

My ability to focus is as extraordinary as it is pleasurable. The task is training it away from negative rumination & on to positive activity. Sometimes I feel as both the animal & the animal trainer. :ninja:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2018, 6:21 pm

Well I THINK my creative ability and exceptional 3D visualization and creation skills are an Autistic trait, so, it'd be that....

Bronzelincolns
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2018, 10:27 am

not caring what other people think.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2018, 4:56 pm

My creativity

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2018, 8:48 am

I don't know if this is considered one or not but it would have to be having a-lot of passions for things. For one, I have a passion for Japans culture and there country. I can talk about it for hours and still have things to say about the wonderful culture! :D

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 4:33 pm

Hydromind wrote:
My favorite trait is getting lost in my inner world.

I was trying to figure out my favorite (I for one mostly love being autistic, despite the challenges), and hadn't thought of this one. I'm a storyteller, and my special interests are almost always my stories... which makes them SO MUCH FUN to tell, and I have no end to the copious amounts of detail I can wiggle into them. When I go back and edit, I can find the separate the wheat from the chaff and get really solid narratives that I genuinely care about.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 4:35 pm

My favorite trait of my son's is his literal/figurative cognition. He is fully aware that figurative speech is a thing and has no problem communicating with it (most of the time), but he hears everything literally first, then procs what it figuratively meant an instant later... but his wit is SO FAST, and his sense of humor and timing is so solid, he has everyone laughing about the RIDICULOUS things we say all the time.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 4:36 pm

My excellent long term and episodic memory. Its not photographic but its close.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado