Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tinman917
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

Hello everybody! This website is called “Wrong Planet” and, yes, it is true that often “I feel like I am on the wrong planet”. (So I’ve come to the right place then, hooray!) Where that phrase means that I think there is (notionally at least) some other planet which is the (for me) right planet. Another way of putting it is that talking to others I often “feel like I’m speaking a foreign language”. So then all I need is to find someone who “speaks my language”.

But (sorry to sound negative) I don’t see how participating in this forum will help me. If I talk to other people who also feel like they are on the (for them) wrong planet. That doesn’t mean their right planet will be the same as my right planet.

Also I don’t much like the forum discussion format. (For evidence see my failed attempt at running a thread on this forum.) I don’t find it conducive to any sort of genuine conversation. Partly because it’s not in real time. But mostly because I just don’t like group discussions. Whether online or in real life. My experience of having discussions in a group is that it is rather like trying to have a conversation with one person while being constantly interrupted by others. Really annoying!

I would much rather have a one to one real time conversation with someone. I find that this format is one where real communication is more likely. If anybody reading this wanted to engage with me in that manner then I would welcome it. Feel free to message me. Certainly I could do with the practice. I don’t often get the chance to have conversations with people.

But then I think: people should only message me on the condition that they genuinely think they could have a constructive enjoyable conversation with me. And this probably depends on the condition that they have a compatible style of conversation. Because it’s not a shared interest in things that makes for good conversation but a shared way of talking and thinking about those things. And if you wanted to know more about my way of talking and thinking about things then you could visit my website (link in profile).

But that’s all being too restrictive. Surely I can have a go at talking to anybody, can’t I? What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks for reading,

M

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 1:18 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2019, 1:51 pm

Welcome to the forums! I hope you find them beneficial to you.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 2:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)