Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2019, 10:24 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I am glad that your adventure turned out O.K. I hope you had a lot of fun.

Thank you, and I did.

It was just right. We had one of those all-day trips where you pull over and they prepare food for you. They cooked chicken and beef on a fire, had salad, etc. It was awesome!

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2019, 4:55 pm

Wednesday Ramble:

Came in for some training today in the midst of camping. My son and I are having a blast camping despite the rainy weather. He was as thrilled as his mom to find a plethora of huckleberries on our camp site. That, like, never happens. Then we went to try our hand at fishing/swimming on the north end of the lake and we got about 1.5 hours in before a rain squall hit. No time to fish. Fortunately, we have a cozy camper so we holed up and he read and I crocheted a bedspread while it came down.

Tonight we were planning a bike ride/ice cream cone grab but it might be too rainy again, we shall see. Tomorrow we are planning to float on a gentle creek/river so hopefully the sun will be out! No internet out there in the woods, and it is good to unplug.

I don't have any more vacation planned this year. Maybe I will try to get off for Thanksgiving (Th/F) but other than that, I am accruing vacay rapidly. Being single, I'd as much work as go places alone. It's taken me a couple of years at this job to feel comfortable, but I really like it, and am thankful to have it. I have a lot of autonomy with it and don't have to be around large groups of people, which is ideal. Plus I set my own schedule. :D

Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Peace~

huckleberries

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 4:29 pm

jimmy m wrote:
It is interesting that you mentioned coffee. Someone else on the board mentioned that for NTs drinking normal coffee at night is a problem because it can lead to insomnia but in Aspies there is an opposite effect. So caffeine is beneficial for the way our brains are wired. I think there may be some truth in that.

Me personally, coffee doesn't seem to affect me one way or the other, until very recently when I noticed I feel restless when I drink several cups in a row. But thats recent. In the past I could drink all I want and not feel a thing.

However, both of my parents feel more sleepy when they drink coffee at night -- just like you described. But no they weren't diagnosed as aspies. Although i can see they have some traits of it. My mom's social skills are good, I would say even above average, but it is probably because she over-polishes herself. She would spend hours editting an email. My dad's social skills were below average but not as bad as mine, he lost his temper a lot.

As far as my mom goes, I am sort of wondering whether she follows the routine because SHE has aspie traits or because she thinks *I* do. I mean she described to me a trip she spontaneously took with a bunch of her friends years before I was born few where they were sleeping where they shouldn't etc. But if I do anything like that she would ask me 100 questions. So it feels like she thinks that, as an aspie, I should do the routine, like all aspies do -- and since I don't do it, she better force me to. So I ended up simply not telling her things I do -- although I didn't do anything as crazy as that trip. I mentioned to her recently how few years ago the landlord cats were coming into my room; her first question was "were they coming to your bed". Wait a second, I thought the landlord herself was sleeping with them in the bed -- although I remember back when we had a cat she didn't. Well that just reminded me why I am not telling her things. She will always find something to pick on. I think she robbed me of a normal spontaneous life most NT-s have.

jimmy m wrote:
It is my opinion that if an Aspie is allowed to develop properly, they will eventually turn into a nonconformist. The following are quotes about nonconformist:

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. – Rob Siltanen: Apple, "Think Different" campaign

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. - Albert Einstein

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. - Voltaire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A "normal" person is the sort of person that might be designed by a committee. You know, "Each person puts in a pretty color and it comes out gray." - Alan Sherman

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain. - Colin Wilson

Freedom began on the day the first sheep wandered away from the herd. ― Marty Rubin

Thats about the most flattering view of aspies that I can find. The question is: IS THIS TRUE?! If aspies are so non-conforming, why do they follow the routine?! Me personally, I don't follow the routine since not all traits of Asperger apply to me -- although yes I have Asperger since my social skills are probably WORSE than most people here on the board plus, at least in the DSM 4, I have the right number of symptoms without having all of them. I don't know how other aspies operate, though. Do you think there are different "types" of Asperger. Like some are non-conforming like myself and others are super-robotic like my mom wants me to be?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

MissMary227 wrote:
Wednesday Ramble:

Came in for some training today in the midst of camping. My son and I are having a blast camping despite the rainy weather. He was as thrilled as his mom to find a plethora of huckleberries on our camp site. That, like, never happens. Then we went to try our hand at fishing/swimming on the north end of the lake and we got about 1.5 hours in before a rain squall hit. No time to fish. Fortunately, we have a cozy camper so we holed up and he read and I crocheted a bedspread while it came down.

Tonight we were planning a bike ride/ice cream cone grab but it might be too rainy again, we shall see. Tomorrow we are planning to float on a gentle creek/river so hopefully the sun will be out! No internet out there in the woods, and it is good to unplug.

I don't have any more vacation planned this year. Maybe I will try to get off for Thanksgiving (Th/F) but other than that, I am accruing vacay rapidly. Being single, I'd as much work as go places alone. It's taken me a couple of years at this job to feel comfortable, but I really like it, and am thankful to have it. I have a lot of autonomy with it and don't have to be around large groups of people, which is ideal. Plus I set my own schedule. :D

Peace~

huckleberries

Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it.

My mom is taking me to Hawaii this saturday for a week. I will let you know how it was when I come back.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2019, 5:31 pm

QFT wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Wednesday Ramble:

Peace~

huckleberries

My mom is taking me to Hawaii this saturday for a week. I will let you know how it was when I come back.

Wow!! I never have been to Hawaii. That sounds awesome. Where are you going exactly?

We are breaking up our camping trip by returning home every day lol. My 10 year old has some weird form of ADD whereby he gets bored camping. 8O I am still planning to return for a couple nights soon, then back to work!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:27 pm

QFT wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It is my opinion that if an Aspie is allowed to develop properly, they will eventually turn into a nonconformist.

Thats about the most flattering view of aspies that I can find. The question is: IS THIS TRUE?!

That is my personal opinion.
But there are many steps along the way.

One must survive the bullying they receive in school without being broken. One needs a very thick skin to become a non-conformist.

One must learn how to daydream.

One must avoid the trap of using amphetamines for behavioral control. An Aspie brain is very unique and many forms of drugs are like Kryptonite is to Superman.

One must learn to springboard from daydreaming to a different form of disassociation. It is possible to separate the emotional and logical portions of the brain and completely turn off the emotional side completely under stress. Then spin up the analytical side of the brain and search through the thousands of alternatives to deal with the immediate stressor in a blink of an eye. Then choose the best option and implement it. To completely turn off the emotional side, it means turning off fear, hate, anger, rage, anxiety. They no longer exists. If you can do this you will become fearless. If you learn this trick, you will never experience a panic attack again.

One must develop a rock solid self worth.

It definitely helps if one can develop an INTJ personality type. I suspect the trick here is the ability to create a wide range of alternate personas, so you can look at a problem from a thousand different perspectives.

One must become independent. I became financial independent in my second year of college before I turned twenty and I worked my way through college.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:43 pm

jimmy m wrote:
QFT wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It is my opinion that if an Aspie is allowed to develop properly, they will eventually turn into a nonconformist.

Thats about the most flattering view of aspies that I can find. The question is: IS THIS TRUE?!

That is my personal opinion.
But there are many steps along the way.

One must survive the bullying they receive in school without being broken. One needs a very thick skin to become a non-conformist.

One must learn how to daydream.

One must avoid the trap of using amphetamines for behavioral control. An Aspie brain is very unique and many forms of drugs are like Kryptonite is to Superman.

One must learn to springboard from daydreaming to a different form of disassociation. It is possible to separate the emotional and logical portions of the brain and completely turn off the emotional side completely under stress. Then spin up the analytical side of the brain and search through the thousands of alternatives to deal with the immediate stressor in a blink of an eye. Then choose the best option and implement it. To completely turn off the emotional side, it means turning off fear, hate, anger, rage, anxiety. They no longer exists. If you can do this you will become fearless. If you learn this trick, you will never experience a panic attack again.

One must develop a rock solid self worth.

It definitely helps if one can develop an INTJ personality type. I suspect the trick here is the ability to create a wide range of alternate personas, so you can look at a problem from a thousand different perspectives.

One must become independent. I became financial independent in my second year of college before I turned twenty and I worked my way through college.

I didn't do most of those steps but I am non conformist. Case in point: I am trying to publish papers where I propose to reinterpret quantum field theory. Nobody understands what I do or why I do it, but I do it anyway.

My question was more about other aspies not me. DSM 4 says they like routine (which I don't) -- hence the question.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:46 pm

MissMary227 wrote:
QFT wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Wednesday Ramble:

Peace~

huckleberries

Wow!! I never have been to Hawaii. That sounds awesome. Where are you going exactly?

We are breaking up our camping trip by returning home every day lol. My 10 year old has some weird form of ADD whereby he gets bored camping. 8O I am still planning to return for a couple nights soon, then back to work!

We haven't decided yet where we are going, she was calling just now one of her friends asking for advise on that. It was last minute decision.

So does your 10 year old have trouble sleeping in the tent and you come home to sleep? Is this what it is?

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2019, 9:07 pm

I see.

Oh, we have a cozy camper. I think it's just more a general homesickness. And yeah, he says his bed at home is better, but I think it's more the strangeness of all of it.

Pretty sure he has ASD also, like his mother. But when I told his dad and brothers that, they all get mad at me, lol. Like it's a bad thing to 'label' him with. So I quit saying it to them. But I know he is.