Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

IWantToHelp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2019, 12:43 pm

Hello,

I have a wonderful stepchild who has high-functioning autism but the problem is that the family refuses to acknowledge it and has not gotten any kind of mentorship, taught the child the right kind of coping mechanisms and offers no social experience or physical activity. Step child has no friends, lives in video games and is only fed junk food. I try to do what I can as part of the support network but I really don't know what I'm doing and I'm afraid I probably do the wrong things and sometimes put too much pressure to talk about things since step child is not used to it and hasn't been taught how to process emotions.

I need help. I need a mentor, somebody who can help me deal with these things where the family looks the other way. They are good people who love step child. I know they love him a lot. They really do, they just have very old fashion views of what autism is and they think that acknowledging it will ruin the child's life. But I see it doing real harm as the child is so isolated and doesn't know how to relate to other children at all because nobody has taught the child how to.

I don't want to make things worse but I want to help the child be happy, have friends and be less likely to be bullied in any way I can. What do I do?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 12:53 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 2:49 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

Hi and Welcome :)! You sound a very caring step-parent. I'll post more for you tomorrow, but just want to welcome you warmly and let you know that we'll help all we can. Very good to have you with us 8).

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2019, 6:51 am

Welcome. Your stepson very lucky to have you care about him

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 9:44 pm

Maybe you can use this website to educate them. Ask for them what the advantages are of diagnosis, attending a group, etc. Then have them read the answers from the tribe.