Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2022, 12:29 pm

Hi all, even though I have always had trouble making and keeping friends, only recently did it occur to me that a big part of this is probably due to my sensory sensitivities as an aspie. Since NTs cannot possibly to relate to them, I also figured that having friendships with them is always going to be a challenge to say the least. This is why I have decided that I want start connecting more with people that are more like me. And what better place than here!

What I'm picturing is a kind of "MasterMind" group, where a few of us would have regular (perhaps twice per month) video calls or meetings where we can help each other navigate this confusing NT-world and do fun activities together :)

A bit about me: I'm a German man in my early thirties and I live near the city of Dublin, Ireland. I work in the field of online advertising and have a little boy (5) with my ex-partner. My interests are gaming (mostly Nintendo), cryptocurrency investing, digital drawing, afterlife research, table tennis, golf and watching interesting movies / series. I like sci-fi a lot, like "Ghost in the Shell", "Judge Dread", "Rick and Morty", etc. but also more regular stuff like documentaries, "Squid game" and "Narcos". Not a huge fan of violence, but some of the themes and dynamics that were touched upon in the latter two I thought were quite fascinating. Although I do have my issues in big groups and loud environments, I would probably still be considered "high-functioning". My IQ is just below the MENSA threshold.

If I sound like somebody you might like to get to know a bit better and you could see yourself participating in such a group, do shoot me a PM or reply to this thread :)

Looking forward to hearing from you! SW

MindEngine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2022, 12:41 pm

Interesting project!

luckystrike.es
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2022, 5:58 pm

I'm American, first 15 years of adulthood I lived in England, Italy, Brussels, and Spain - somehow I feel much more autistic in my own country than I do in Europe. Presently, I live in a rural area where I'm completing a master's in psychology. I've got my Mensa card.

Divorced about a year ago and since then I keep my NT friends at a distance because it just feels like too much work. I also enjoy crypto investing but other than that my life is pretty focused on studies. Anyway, in my experience friendships with other autistics (including non-Aspies) is more comfortable and I'd be keen to see something like this come together.

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2022, 4:35 am

Two replies already, great! If it's ok for you luckystrike.es and MindEngine, I will follow up by PM to see if we can make something like this happen :)

Btw, for anyone who might still want to join, I wanted to make clear that "MasterMind" group is perhaps not the best name as it can sound quite elitist. Perhaps "Meetup / Support" group would be a more neutral way of thinking about it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 5:04 am

I already have a bunch of groups that hold similar meetings via text-based chat.

If you would like to chat with other leaders/facilitators (and would-be leaders/facilitators) of autistic peer-led groups, feel free to participate in the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.

MindEngine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2022, 5:55 am

StillWaters wrote:
Two replies already, great! If it's ok for you luckystrike.es and MindEngine, I will follow up by PM to see if we can make something like this happen :)

Btw, for anyone who might still want to join, I wanted to make clear that "MasterMind" group is perhaps not the best name as it can sound quite elitist. Perhaps "Meetup / Support" group would be a more neutral way of thinking about it.

Hi StillWaters, considering me embarked in this journey. Yes perhaps Mastermind group sounds like we are planning to take over the world (which we will do, but in due time).

:) Hope to hear from you quite soon. You can PM me anytime you wish.

The same of course is absolutely valid for LuckyStrike and Mona! :D

P.S. Text-based chat are probably the less stressing for all

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2022, 1:59 pm

MindEngine wrote:
:) Hope to hear from you quite soon. You can PM me anytime you wish.

Cool, will contact you shortly!

Mona Pereth wrote:
I already have a bunch of groups that hold similar meetings via text-based chat.
If you would like to chat with other leaders/facilitators (and would-be leaders/facilitators) of autistic peer-led groups, feel free to participate in the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.

Oh, nice. Thanks for pointing it out. So clearly this is not just for people who are located in the NYC area then, yes? Will take a look either way :)

Nic na Mara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2022, 4:30 am

Hi there! I'm in!

I was born in Germany, too, but currently travelling through Croatia. My home harbor is still in Scotland.
I'm not so experienced with video chat, so I would prefer text-based chat.

I'm not gaming so often anymore, but I liked the old Lucas Arts Games like "Monkey Island" and Jump'n'Run Games. One of my favorite games was "Stranded 2". I got lost on my beloved virtual island for a whole winter without wanting to escape from there (that was the real goal of the game).

I like to talk about scientific topics, books and "the strange behavior of neurotypical people". :wink:
Why they love it to talk about the weather, some stupid relationship problems or the higher prices of fuel again and again, but when I speak about renewable energies, how it works and how important it is nowadays, they are just bored and don't listen to me anymore?!?!

I'm excited to find good company here. Let's talk about our "s**t" and feeling well with it.

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2022, 2:06 pm

Hi Nic na Mara,

A German, who plays Monkey Island and loves travelling.. Sounds like a promising mix :)

I noticed that a few of you have expressed an interest in this being just text-based. I have to say, personally, I would prefer doing voice or video at least every now and then. I also understand though that this can be intimidating / overwhelming (at least at first). What do others think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:32 pm

StillWaters wrote:
A bit about me: . . . My interests are gaming (mostly Nintendo), cryptocurrency investing, digital drawing, afterlife research, table tennis, golf and watching interesting movies / series. I like sci-fi a lot, like "Ghost in the Shell", "Judge Dread", "Rick and Morty", etc. but also more regular stuff like documentaries, . . .
Have you any education in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, or is it all just fantasy and science-fiction?

StillWaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2022, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Have you any education in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, or is it all just fantasy and science-fiction?
I have an MSc in Marketing Management and a certificate degree in Software Development if that counts.

But otherwise, no, sorry to disappoint ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 2:52 pm

StillWaters wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I have an MSc in Marketing Management and a certificate degree in Software Development if that counts. . .
It depends on what software products you have brought to market.