Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Spark Brother
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2022, 6:47 pm

Hi all

I'm a 44 yo male who was diagnosed with ASD level 1 a month ago. My assessor said if I were diagnosed 10 or 20 years ago it would have been with AS so that's what I've put as my diagnosis.

Overall I'm feeling positive about my experience and have felt a massive sense of relief and self forgiveness. I do have some concerns though. Prior to my assessment I'd decided that I would tell family and friends were I to get a diagnosis as I could probably use a little bit of support in social situations. Use of the search function on this forum however suggests that wrong planet doesn't see that as such a swell idea! :lol: My wife and kids know, as does my mum, brother, and an old school friend I've known since I was 3. Think I'll leave it at that for the time being and think on it a little. I'm going to a local ASD support group for the first time next week so maybe that will provide more food for thought.

My long term special interest is music which I'm obsessive about tbh. I love discovering new music (old or modern. current band obsession: Walt Disco) and love talking about it. I also write and record my own music. Other hobbies include reading (both fiction and non fiction. Currently reading Alan Moore's 'Jerusalem') watching movies/TV and working out.

Suppose I'm here to learn more about ASD, maybe pick up some tips in dealing with the challenges it can throw up, and just chat to people with common interests that think a little like I do.

Look forward to talking to you all.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 9:27 pm

Welcome to WP!

And I would offer the observation that you were the same person before and after getting the diagnosis...except you knew more about yourself afterwards.

You will still be the person your friends and family already knew. That doesn't change. And they probably thought you were odd before the diagnosis, and that doesn't change...now there's just a label for the strangeness.

Don't be surprised if some (most people) don't seem too interested in your diagnosis. Like I said, they already thought you were odd. In general, the diagnosis doesn't require any action on their part.

For your part, however, I suggest champagne. I got some on the way home from getting the diagnosis. It explained so much!!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 9:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I’m glad you’re here.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 9:45 pm

Hey there!
:D
The various family and friends I told after I was diagnosed in 2009 pretty much universally responded with,
"Hmmm ... well, ya know ... that would explain that ..., and that ..., and that ..., and that ...,"

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 4:11 am

Welcome to WP! I had the same sense of relief and healing/ self forgiveness and forgiveness of others in the past when I got diagnosis. Nobody knew. This is great page with friendly and helpful others, I loved learning I was not alone and that there were others who actually understood. there are hundreds of years of lived autistic experience in the membership here and lots of good insights and info to share. The search feature at the top of the page is useful to look for specific topics and brings up previous discussions regarding almost any topic. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 9:54 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Spark Brother
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2022, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome and the useful advice guys, it's gratefully received.

I don't drink anymore @double retired but because my assessor congratulated me upon announcing my diagnosis, I did by myself a cake later that day :cheers:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 4:26 pm

Spark Brother wrote:
Thanks for the nice welcome and the useful advice guys, it's gratefully received.

I don't drink anymore @double retired but because my assessor congratulated me upon announcing my diagnosis, I did by myself a cake later that day :cheers:

I hope you saved some cake for the rest of us! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:09 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)