Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2023, 1:52 am

Hi everyone, just another newbie posting to say hello.
My name's Connor but I'm not particularly fond of it and usually go by Ben as it's a shortform version of my online handle elsewhere, my username here is a phonetic approximation of it because I have a lot of projects on the internet and would prefer to not have people find me here through google.
I'm 28, I live in the UK and I was diagnosed with ASD, the diagnoser told me it would've been Asperger's but they aren't allowed to use that term anymore.

I'm mainly here because I've been getting increasingly isolated over the last decade, it turns out being diagnosed is very helpful in that it lets you understand yourself better but it also leaves you with a much smaller bracket of people that are willing to "put up with you", it's wild to think people are more inclined to associate with a deliberately abrasive person than one that just thinks differently, so I'm hoping to make some friends.

My hobbies include digital art and graphic design, video games and video game development, high fantasy and gritty sci-fi in all its forms, coming up with novel ideas I know I'll never write, crude humour I will do my best to suppress, and I have a love-hate relationship with spreadsheets, I love to make them but hate to use them.

I struggle to "read the room" so if I go off topic or misjudge the vibe please do let me know.
Anyone is welcome to message me about anything, I'm more than happy to chat, I hope you're all having a great day.

c.yaggason
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2023, 9:07 am

greetings!
the first thing that pops to mind when people say "gritty sci-fi" is the original, British, Max Headroom movie...
it was what inspired the american tv show... but its soooo much better! sooo much grittier!

hope you've seen it!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 10:29 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here...and visit these two forums (1) & (2).

And I agree Science Fiction is great...I prefer it "hard" but I think there is quite an overlap between that and "gritty".

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 1:14 pm

Welcome to WP! :D

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2023, 3:20 pm

c.yaggason wrote:
greetings!
the first thing that pops to mind when people say "gritty sci-fi" is the original, British, Max Headroom movie...
it was what inspired the american tv show... but its soooo much better! sooo much grittier!

hope you've seen it!

I have seen it, it's a classic, I find it harder and harder to find other folks that have seen it these days though so it's fun to show it to people. I also like Bladerunner, Warhammer 40k and such.

In terms of "hard" sci-fi Double, you can't go wrong with Asimov's stuff, he's written a bunch of fascinating short(and long) stories in that, Clarke is another classic too, and more recently The Martian by Andy Weir. I loved that book so much and the movie was surprisingly great. I will be sure to take a look at those and share my favourites.

Thank you for the greetings everyone, I think this'll be fun.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 4:08 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 4:42 pm

Ben Dee wrote:
c.yaggason wrote:
greetings!

hope you've seen it!

I have seen it, it's a classic, I find it harder and harder to find other folks that have seen it these days though so it's fun to show it to people. I also like Bladerunner, Warhammer 40k and such.

In terms of "hard" sci-fi Double, you can't go wrong with Asimov's stuff, he's written a bunch of fascinating short(and long) stories in that, Clarke is another classic too, and more recently The Martian by Andy Weir. I loved that book so much and the movie was surprisingly great. I will be sure to take a look at those and share my favourites.

Thank you for the greetings everyone, I think this'll be fun.
Off Topic
I agree that Max Headroom [1985], the original TV movie, is (slightly) better than the series...but I think both are wonderful Science Fiction. The problem I have with the movie is that, as near as I can tell, the movie has only ever been released in the U.S. on VHS. It is the main reason I have kept our VCR.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 7:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2023, 12:09 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Thank you, it's great to be here.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 7:11 am

welcome! lots of good folks here and always interesting conversations. glad you found us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 9:46 am

Welcome to the site. I have Asperger's Syndrome or Aspie for short. I like the term even if it is out of style at the moment because it is the best description of myself.

I am an old Aspie. I have reached the age of 75 years, but if you look very deep down inside me you will still see the child. Because I still remain a young boy, like Peter Pan. I have found that being an Aspie provides me with a different skill set, one that can provide unique skills and abilities.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 10:54 am

Hi! I have only been here for about a week myself. Welcome!

nikkii.xoxoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2023, 1:07 pm

Heyy, just was recommended this forum page ! so im a newcomer :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 1:50 pm

nikkii.xoxoo, Welcome to WP!

Huckleberry Finn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2023, 4:07 pm

So two welcome here.

nikkii.xoxoo and Ben Dee.

Registrations are increasing: I'm very pleased.

You'll be happy in the forum, you'll see.

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2023, 12:25 am

Thanks everyone, what a lovely reception, it's very kind of you all and I love how diverse the folks here are.