Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jameslewis10
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2006, 4:59 pm

I'm James and I'm 17. I was diagnosed with AS aged about 4, but haven't had another review since, although the last one about 10 years ago was inconclusive. However, I'm not altogether sure I have it any more. Because from what I know, the symptoms (or some symptoms) are as follows:

Lack of social skills- I have a large group of friends, and although I can be quiet have no trouble talking to them
Inability to see sarcasm- I know when someones being sarcastic
Not Knowing when people are pretending to like you but really laughing at you- I'm the other way round. I worry that my friends don't like me when really they do.
Inability to see emotion- I can easily tell when a friend is upset, if they become a little snappy, or go quiet.
Inability to show emotion- Yeah, I cry sometimes, and not ashamed to admit it.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Apr 2006, 5:11 pm

jameslewis10 wrote:
Lack of social skills- I have a large group of friends, and although I can be quiet have no trouble talking to them
Not Knowing when people are pretending to like you but really laughing at you- I'm the other way round. I worry that my friends don't like me when really they do.
Inability to see emotion- I can easily tell when a friend is upset, if they become a little snappy, or go quiet.

I have a lot of friends as well and I can tell when people are being sarcastic. You could know how to do everything in this list and still have Asperger's. It's a spectrum with a lot of different characteristics that a doctor looks at and then determines if you fit enough of the descriptions to actually label you as having asperger's.

Silver_Shadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2006, 6:38 pm

alex wrote:
You could know how to do everything in this list and still have Asperger's.

That is why doctors have such dificulty in giving a diagnosis to individuals. If we take into account the list of symptoms of aspergers syndrome and then the fact that individuals can have none of the symptoms yet still be an Aspie, it makes it very hard to give an acurate diagnosis.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 9:58 pm

I am not sure if I have Aspergers or not either. Because I hear that Aspergers does not impair language of a child and language develops normally . My language was impaired. I learnt to walk before I could talk and have clear memories of confusing very simple every day words. A large family with five siblings older than me really pulled out of my shell at around three and a half years of age. I was diagonsed with autism by number of professionals at the age of 8 in the days the word was scarcely heard of.

However when I was getting my driver licence the instuctor kept telling my I was by far the most difficult male student he had taught in his thirty years experience. I did learn to drive well eventually but it took lots of patients and time.

Stallion_72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2006, 12:41 am

Hey my names is also James and I recently turned 18. :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2006, 9:48 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I think you will fit right in with us here and I hope you enjoy posting!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2006, 5:28 pm

Lots of people learn how to overcome the drawbacks that come with Asperger's. I have friends, too; and I've never really been unemotional to begin with.

Still, you'll fit in here just fine; all you really have to do to endear yourself to most Aspies is to have an attitude of, "If you accept me for who I am, I'm willing to do the same for you".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2006, 3:54 am

hiya,

don't worry about it. i exhibit alot of the triats but i also dont exhibit a fair few. I just seeme as being me. i am aspie i think but just not classic. i have my own ways andi have my obbsession and many probles which relate. but iam happy to just be me.

Welcome to te boards, i have not been hgere all that long but i hope you really enjoy your stay, this is a great place where evryone is pretty much #aceptant of anyone else. we dont judge on what you are we jusdge on who you are or we do noy judge.

jammie

jameslewis10
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2006, 12:08 pm

Hopefully you're better than most message boards I post on where everyone seems to argue with each other

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 7:25 pm

They argue here, too; but there's constructive discussion as well. If the good outweighs the bad, I stay; and since I'm still here, that should bring you to the logical conclusion that I believe the good outweighs the bad here.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jameslewis10
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2007, 5:10 pm

I see I've been a brilliant poster these past two years......

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:13 pm

Nice to meet , James. :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:19 pm

You could be a bit more active.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2007, 5:39 pm

Silver_Shadow wrote:
If we take into account the list of symptoms of aspergers syndrome and then the fact that individuals can have none of the symptoms yet still be an Aspie, it makes it very hard to give an acurate diagnosis.

But if someone doesn't have any of the symptoms, how come they get the diagnosis?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2007, 6:00 pm

alex wrote:
jameslewis10 wrote:

I have a lot of friends as well and I can tell when people are being sarcastic. You could know how to do everything in this list and still have Asperger's. It's a spectrum with a lot of different characteristics that a doctor looks at and then determines if you fit enough of the descriptions to actually label you as having asperger's.

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

Some of the AS descriptions fit me and some don't, I could almost pass for an NT simply because of acquired experience,
I'm 49 by the way. When I was a child I had delayed speech, poor motor skills and repetitive motor habits. And yet I made it through public schools and have been gainfully employed and living independently for 30 years.

Telos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2007, 10:26 pm

My name is Jack and I go by the name Telos. I live in Dallas, TX.. At 55 years of age I think there is a strong possibility I might have Asperger's. I graduated from high school and also spent 6 years struggling in college. Had a mother that would call the teachers to make sure they would pass me to the next grade. Was tested when I was young , but never was told the results. I think the clinic diagnosed me as being ret*d.

I'm curious... I would like to understand myself better. Where do I start? Thanks in advance.