Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

gray_imagination
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2008, 1:52 am

greetings.

I'm gray_imagination...I'm 23 and a few months ago my psychologist suggested I might be a high functioning autistic, and, since I didn't have any language delay (far from it), she of course suggested I look into aspergers. I ended up at the psychologists because last year my father died suddenly and after that my anxiety which I'd just been living with, turned into panic disorder. So I'd been doing more or less alright until then, though I am a very anxious and generally terrified person. Not all my anxiety is social, however. I usually say it's easier to list things I am not afraid of than things I am.

I'd like to read what actual people with aspergers have to say about things because the literature I've read tries to generalize, and, as with many things, that doesn't really help. To be honest I haven't read a whole lot because I end up just breaking everything down into "that's not like me" "that IS like me" and it just hasn't been helpful. I don't know if talking to people will be better, but, I'd like to try. I'd also just like to understand asperger-ian perspectives even if I don't have it, I love perspectives. I collect them.

I'm afraid I'm not very good at being consistently active in communities, sometimes I post things but don't reply, sometimes I reply once, sometimes I lurk, and often I go MIA for months at a time.

far more revealing about who I am will probably be a list of interests:
avoidance, writing (fantasy and sci-fi), nerdliness, being a kid, painting (with acrylics), reading, fantasy, sci-fi, culture, language, religion, asexuality, pre-historic europe, libraries, books, digital art
Favorite Music:
Nightwish, Coheed and Cambria, Loreena McKennitt, Evanescence, Medieaval Baebes, Dead Can Dance, Dire Straits, Within Temptation, The Dresden Dolls, The Gathering, Rammstein, Matchbox Twenty, Woods Tea Co., Lemon Demon, DDT (russisan), Nautilus Pompilius, Harry Potter audio books (75% of what I listen to), Gregorian
Favorite TV Shows:
Babylon 5, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1st and 2nd Gig), Chrno Crusade, Last Exile, Doctor Who, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Battlestar Galactica, CSI, Bleach, Death Note, Tsubasa Chronicle, Trinity Blood, NCIS, Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Naruto (and Shippuden), D Gray Man
Favorite Movies:
Star Wars (all), Braveheart, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Pirates of the Caribbean (all), Finding Neverland, Mononoke Hime, Matrix (all), Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, Chocolat, King Arthur, Serenity, Harry Potter (all), V for Vendetta, Amélie, Kaze no tani no Naushika, Pan's Labyrinth, Becoming Jane, Miss Potter, Howl's Moving Castle, The Princess and the Goblins
Favorite Books:
Dune, Harry Potter, The Moorchild, LotR, The Giver, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Howl's Moving Castle, Robot Visions, generally anything by Asimov, Snow Crash, Old Kingdom Trilogy

...er. introductions...blah.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 2:00 am

Heya. I love Doctor Who, Death Note, and Dune. Not to mention Ghost in the Shell (the manga, the TV series, and the movies).

Do you go to university?

On sabbatical...

gray_imagination
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2008, 2:19 am

sorta :-/ I kinda panicked out of my last semester last year at UB, so I'm getting my last 5 credits for my degree at a local community college while on a leave of absence to sort out my anxiety issues.

Death Note was AMAZING. I just loved watching the minds at work.

I wish I read more manga. I'm too impatient though, I end up trying to read whole pages at once. It gets messy.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 2:41 am

Hi welcome gray_imagination to the "right" Planet :wink:

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 2:53 am

gray_imagination wrote:
sorta :-/ I kinda panicked out of my last semester last year at UB, so I'm getting my last 5 credits for my degree at a local community college while on a leave of absence to sort out my anxiety issues.

Death Note was AMAZING. I just loved watching the minds at work.

I wish I read more manga. I'm too impatient though, I end up trying to read whole pages at once. It gets messy.

Doctor Who's my main thing, but I recently got into Death Note. Gotta love L...

I'm trying to do a thesis for a Master's Degree in Medical Research. I've been trying to get the motivation to get some work done on my lit review, which is a pain in the arse.

On sabbatical...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 5:09 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Scytale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2008, 6:14 am

Welcome gray_imagination. I'm new here too.

Big fan of Star Wars, LoTR and Dune myself. As a child, I had nearly every original SW figure and vehicle they made (through Empire Strikes Back). Still have the old figures (in storage) but not the vehicles. As an adult, I collect the new line of figures/vehicles--since 1994 when they first came back. My interest in LoTR has turned me into an amateur scholar of everything Middle Earth related. Esp like the 1st & 2nd Age stories in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Got on a Dune-reading streak last year. Finally got around to reading the Heretics and Chapterhouse sequels. Also re-read God Emperor, since it's been several years and I'd forgotten much of the plot.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:48 am

Welcome gray_imagination!:)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 11:43 am

Nice to meet you, gray_imagination. :) 8)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

Welcome gray_imagination,

You like a lot of stuff that I like too. Dr Who for one but there's a long list there.

Have you tried the aspie quiz?

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

Welcome to WP, gray_imagination :D

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2008, 6:17 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Krista_The_Pixie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2008, 12:02 pm

Your intro was great!! ! I love all of the same sci fi and fantasy movies as you but even more exciting is that you're a fan of Nightwish, Within Temptation, and The Gathering!! !! !! !! !! Awesome! What are your favorite songs and albums by each? Do you like the new Nightwish? Also, do you like Epica? They're my favorite band & you might also really enjoy their music if you haven't heard it yet.

By the way, I don't have autism myself BUT I do have an anxiety disorder & can definitely relate to what you said about it. My problem in particular is driving... I was in a very mild car accident in September but for some reason cannot shake my fears of driving and can now only drive to places on my "track" (as I call it) of known & frequent destinations EVEN THOUGH I now have a GPS. The GPS was supposed to cure my fear of driving, which had a lot to do with the fact that I can't memorize routes, learn maps, or recall which way I had turned onto a street. This voice saying "turn left at Wilmot Street" is a comfort, but I still have the panic attacks nonetheless.

Are you on any type of medication for anxiety? I'm going to be looking into getting some myself but haven't done so yet because I have a fear of going by myself to the doctor. Ugh. Lol.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:19 pm

Great to meet you here. Dont you love the texture of those acrylics? Please make yourself at home. No pressure on the forums. If you want to observe, its fine with me. I hope it helps you find some answers about yourself and asperger's. We all have different degrees and different aspects of AS. Each one of us has a different story... welcome to the planet.