I'm not new but I never introduced myself I have questions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2008, 12:14 am

Describe your hometown: Mine town is not the typical new england town its city north of providence and has a butt load of abandoned factorys and mills including slater mill the home of the american industrial revolution.
Favorite local foods: qubec fries which are f\rench fries covered in gravy and then topped in mozerrala cheese, new england clam chowder, clam cakes which are clams covered in batter and deep fat fried, and weiners which are hot dogs covered in a spiced meat with onions and mustard. I cant think of anything else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:30 am

Welcome to WP!

Quebec Fries = poutine?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 2:58 am

I love quebec fries, but the gravy has to be good. :)

One of my hometowns is arguably the cultural center of the Mormon world; the other used to be known as the most active port for piracy in North America. Other details which are "home" for me vary, as I do not tend to stay in one place for all that long. . . They include certain kinds of mountains, the smell of fresh cut hey, water that tastes a little like pine pitch. . . ok, I could go on for a very long time here.

Favorite local foods. . . hmn. . I do love seafood, and also deep fried yucca root-not eaten here a lot now, but grows all over the place. I guess you could say potatoes are a hometown food for me because of where I was born, and fries of most kinds are a deep addiction. . . I'm also passionately fond of Maryland crab/vegetable soup, which I'm told is just brunswick stew with crab substituted in for the beef. Whatever. It's good.

Also, I'm claiming this even though it's not entirely local, but a certain subculture of Mormons does have a bit of a health food obsession, which makes it possible to find fantastic smothies every couple of miles at most. I could almost live on them. :)

dudeofthedead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2008, 3:11 am

I live in a tiny town in midwest Ohio, surrounded by other tiny towns and slightly larger towns and Dayton a little ways to the east. Lots of farmland and rural country roads and such.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 12:30 am

Yes Qubec fries are poutine.Heres more facts about Pawtucket rhode island we also have a similar past in piracy because or state was know has rouge island. This is the home of the pawtucket redsox, The first state to ban slavery and the we created sepration of church and state. The home of HP lovecraft,The birthplace of the american industrial revolution home of samuel slater and slater mill. Is a twinned with the english town of derbyshire,For sports fan this is the home of the longest baseball game ever,the film american buffalo was filmed here,the film mermaids with cher and bob hoskins was taped in the pool at my high school it has one of the oldest looff carousel. Clam cakes are the best that and new england clam chowder. Thats all I can think off oh and we are the home of diners.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 1:06 am

My hometown is SLC, Utah. Contrary to popular belief, it's only like 30% mormon. It has a relatively moderate crime rate - though a strong drug culture, and we tend to have some of the most deplorable crimes here, however rare. The arts culture is very much alive as well. We have some of the best hospitals and a strong market in technology pioneering.
All in all, it's a good place for a family, the job market's good, the cost of living is very low. It can feel like a black hole at times, but there are a lot of good people here that's for sure. To be honest, I'd rather be surrounded by mormons than southern baptists - no offense to southern baptists. And we have no evangelicals or fundamentalists here - a very good thing.
We have a few very good universities, and people here are generally intelligent compared to a lot of places in the country (yes, I've traveled the country a lot :P)

Local foods... basically typical american fast food s**t, and fry sauce :eew:

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 1:12 am

yes another person that cant stant evangelicals and fundelmentalist they threaten our seperation of church an state because rhode island created it for a reason.

ainvar
Raven
Raven

10 May 2008, 9:13 pm

Legato wrote:
To be honest, I'd rather be surrounded by mormons than southern baptists - no offense to southern baptists. And we have no evangelicals or fundamentalists here - a very good thing.

Having been around southern baptists quite a bit, and mormons only a fair bit...I'd have to agree with you =)

Legato wrote:
Local foods... basically typical american fast food sh**, and fry sauce :eew:

Hey, hey. Don't knock the fry sauce. S'tasty.

You also forgot to mention how awesome the SLC library is...well, libraries in Utah, generally speaking. =)

Oh, my hometown, you ask? Atlanta. Home of...well, all sorts of things. Some of the best Chinese food in the South (but only according to various Chinese workmates of mine)...abundant oak trees...hideous traffic and terrible drivers...one of the most poorly planned large cities that I can image (excepting Cairo, perhaps).

God, I love Atlanta. For such a young city, there is so much history...and even though it is not an exceeding large city, it is extremely diverse and thriving. We have a great influx of people from all around. Right now, I live in Decatur, which is sort of a Southern holdover in the midst of a very unsouthern city.

I think the Futurama episode, "The Lost City of Atlanta" best sums up our city =) Oh, and did I mention the barbeque and Thai food? =)

autism
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2008, 9:51 pm

welome to WrongPlanet.