Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

juniper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2005, 7:13 pm

Hello,

I'm not certain I have Asperger's. I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder in April of this year, but I'm not convinced it's the entire story.
My interests tend to become obsessive and in depth, so after the ADD diagnosis, I exhausted the subject and went on to the broader subject of neurology. Not specifically to find further problems, I just found it interesting.
I ended up reading about Asperger's and it made me wonder.I think ADD has some similar traits and I know a person can have both disorders.
The things that made me consider Asperger's:
I can't make eye contact, or if I can, I can't sustain it for more than an instant.
I have sometimes rather unusual obsessive interests.
I see wild patterns during day to day living, especially with numbers.
Small talk is next to impossible. I hate parties, but if I go to one, I hear people talk about the minutae of their lives and I'm left alone in the next room, just wanting to get away from the noise and the unfamiliar surroundings.
Hyperlexia should be my middle name. I read a lot and I read very fast. My vocabulary was well beyond my years when I was little.
Also, as a child, I had no concept of popular culture. I lived intensely in my own head, in an elaborate dream world.
Can hand-wringing be a part of it? This was worse when I was little. It was so constant teachers and parents made me sit on my hands, which was torturous.
I have never, ever "fit in". Sometimes I tried, but it didn't work and felt wrong anyway. Even though it meant I was bullied a lot in school, I like being weird. It does make me a little sad to not be able to relate to or really talk to most people, but communication gets overwhelming too often anyway. When I get overwhelmed, I either tune out or get very upset. Usually just upset.
Those are the main things. Maybe it's more of the ADD, but I thought it was worth looking into.
I like the name of this site because I feel like the mothership left me behind.
And I hope no one minds if I hang around here for a little while.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 7:35 pm

Hello! Welcome to WrongPlanet. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 9, but my mother didn't think that explained everything. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with AS, which has been perfect. There are quite a few people here with similar stories. :)

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 11:05 pm

I'd rather not rant about all my dx's, but I've got ADHD and AS too.

Welcome to WP! :D

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 2:53 am

welcome to WP, juniper. :)

Vivi
(as Mod)

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 5:07 am

juniper

as Bec says: Seems to understand You what You are going on in Your Life.

I say nothing is perfect in Life we must learn from each other to help each other very much. To understand each other very much to help each other together.

Welcome though to the Wrong Planet.Net

So we can help each other very much.

juniper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2005, 11:50 pm

:) Thank you for the welcomes!