Classic Literature you haven't experienced.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 1:53 pm

I think Animal Farm by George Orwell would be considered classical. It's one of the few books that keep my interest that I've read all the way through. I think Harry Potter is boring, but I think that entire genre is too.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 1:58 pm

I didnt get LOTR and and I tried reading the Hobbit but it was to boring.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2005, 2:53 pm

I've seen but never read the works of Alexandre Dumas.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 7:39 pm

I'd like to read Phantom of the Opera at some time as well. Just sitting on my shelf it is. Dust-collecting.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 9:11 pm

Sophist wrote:
As for Harry Potter, I love the movies but have never read the books. I think I want to wait until I've enjoyed all the movies. And then I'll read the books, so I'm not disappointed in the movies. I always hate that: read a book, watch the movie, get disappointed by the movie because it's not like the book.

HA! So I'm not the only one! Everyone else I've said that to has thought I'm nuts. Until I had a good reason to read the HP series, I was refusing adamantly to touch the books too. Books give you so much more detail that it's much easier to get immersed in when you've already seen the movie than vice versa.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 11:52 pm

Hmmm. I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, all the Narnia chronicles, Heidi (a classic noone has mentioned yet), The Three Musketeers (another non-mentioned classic), Snugglepot & Cuddlepie, Blinky Bill. All of them are good books. I haven't read any historical classics. The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire along with Homer's The Illiad I plan to read someday.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:01 am

Sophist wrote:
As for Harry Potter, I love the movies but have never read the books. I think I want to wait until I've enjoyed all the movies. And then I'll read the books, so I'm not disappointed in the movies. I always hate that: read a book, watch the movie, get disappointed by the movie because it's not like the book.

Mystery is a big part of the books, and seeing all the films first will most likely spoil that for you. I am not talking about mystery like Voldemort living inside Quirrell. I am talking about the questions of why Harry didn't die, how Voldemort knew about Harry and wanted to kill him, and why Voldemort didn't die. The movies tend to give all the answers, but don't explain how the story got to the answers.

Oh well, if you must... The books won't disappoint you!

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

24 Nov 2005, 2:21 am

I suppose I need to attempt to read the Tolken books again.... It was years ago that I tried to read the Hobbit... Maybe this time I'll get into them.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 2:37 am

The Illiad of Homor (makes Tolkin look like an amature)
Woman In Love D.H. Lawrence
My Brilliant Career (name escapes me, but it was a woman writing under a man's name)
Occurrance at Hanging Rock (again, no name..sorry)
Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens). Reflects on everything happening today
A Seperate Peace John Knowles (for quiet protest)
Jordi, David, and Lisa (Theodore Issac Rubin) Fiction about Autism
Clock Winder (Anne Tyler)

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:16 am

I have Journey To The Center OF The Earth.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 8:23 pm

Sophist wrote:
I'd like to read Phantom of the Opera at some time as well. Just sitting on my shelf it is. Dust-collecting.

GREAT BOOK!! Definetely deserving of a loving read. But very drastically different from the musical/movie.