Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

parts
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 9:11 pm

Hello, I’ve been reading the posts for awhile but this is my first post. I’ve been so of nervous about it as to my dyslexia and the anxiety of having other people read what I write. I’m a 38 year old man who up until my son started havening trouble in school I never thought the way I think was any different than others to makes a long story short he was put though a variety of tests including a neuropych and several others and was diagnosed I attended many of them an looked hard into my past and found that I too fit the profile even better than he did even getting the “that’s very interesting” from the doctor who seemed just as intested in me as my son. Looking back it seemed to explain much of my childhood and current problems and anxiety

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2006, 9:31 pm

Welcome!

No need to be nervous...I was at first too but I've found that WP is probably the most relaxed forum I"ve ever been on. Feel free to be yourself here. We're all with ya.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 10:50 pm

Welcome to the Wrong Planet.

Hope You have a good time here also too.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 3:10 am

Ello. Welcome ^_^. Don't worry that we'll misunderstand you, even if it is true that might happen. We give people with thought-to-expression difficulties patience and understanding. If we don't understand, we'll ask. Hell you should listen to ghost hunter. God knows what gets lost in his translations. I can't always guarentee it, but we'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 3:58 am

I had many learning difficulties so don't feel ashamed by it. We need to learn from each other. That is what We here are about at the Wrong Planet.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 12:09 pm

Howdy, parts. Glad you've felt comfortable enough to post. :D

No need to be embarrassed about your dyslexia. There's a fair number of people on here who share the same problem. And, btw, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

You'll do great here. Just jump in a post as much as you feel comfortable.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2006, 1:40 pm

Hey parts! Welcome! Glad to have you on board.

I'm a 42 year old male diagnosed in childhood with ADD (which was then called "hyperactivity" or "Hyperactive syndrome of childhood." I suspect I may have a touch of autism and Asperger's in my cognitive/genetic makeup as well.

I would be very careful once you and your son are formally diagnosed. Back in the day, when I was diagnosed with ADD, just about the only treatments were drug-oriented: either you got stimulants (Ritalin, et.al.) or anti-psychotics (Thorazine, Stelazine, etc.) I got both--fortunately not at the same time. I don't recommend either one. :!:

Fortunately, the field has opened up and there are many options, many of which are non-invasive and non-drug related. And there are a number of psychiatrists and physicians who have cast doubt on the existance of ADD. So, please consider all your options and not just the ones that your doctor recommends.

Good luck to both of you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps I was on the wrong planet born?"

"We're on the third mall from the sun."--Bill Hicks

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 4:07 pm

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet! You shouldn't be nervous here!

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 5:25 am

howdy

welcome to wrong planet ranch :wink:

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 7:42 am

parts wrote:
Hello, I’ve been reading the posts for awhile but this is my first post. I’ve been so of nervous about it as to my dyslexia and the anxiety of having other people read what I write. I’m a 38 year old man who up until my son started havening trouble in school I never thought the way I think was any different than others to makes a long story short he was put though a variety of tests including a neuropych and several others and was diagnosed I attended many of them an looked hard into my past and found that I too fit the profile even better than he did even getting the “that’s very interesting” from the doctor who seemed just as intested in me as my son. Looking back it seemed to explain much of my childhood and current problems and anxiety

I made 1000 posts in a 34 day span.

I admit i am not proud of them all.

But i must caution you, it is highly addictive.
You will always be trying to duplicate the rush you felt the very first time you hit the submit button. And honestly, sometimes when you get some very good stuff, you get mighty close. But never, the same rush.

I was wondering if there is a support group that i could join?

My story is very similar to yours. I am 36, and i was challenged by my 8 year old daughters teacher to look up and research PDD on the internet. Unfortunately for her, she did not expect that i would write her a paper on my findings. Not just any paper, more like a thesis. In my search i found WP. And i could honestly state, that i don't hate anybody here. Matter of fact most people are very generous and thoughtful. I have grown to respect this community.
Welcome aboard, but beware of Hyperman.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 9:18 am

Hey there - and welcome....