Page 6 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 9:56 pm

I have worked as a copyeditor and proofreader at various times in my life. The curse of the text-focused Aspie is to notice every little incongruity, logical error, and peculiarity in what I read. I should be so lucky as to translate the ability to spot glitches in text into the ability to spot glitches in face-to-face interactions. Still no luck with that after more than 50 years. Anyway, this post by Alex:

alex wrote:
I am not aware of entire threads disappearing.

Also, Spokane_Girl was never banned.

unfortunately, I am still trying to figure out what happened. The worst part is that backups are 2 weeks stale due to an unrelated glitch on the hosting side that has been fixed only today. Due to the severity of this issue I have had to remove moderator privileges for most of the moderators until we figure out what happened.

Regardless, restoring the lost member / post data will take hours if not days of work and I'm seriously angry especially since this deletion is causing issues on Wrong Planet's performance and may result in slowness and weird quirkiness when people try to access missing data. If this was caused by a moderator, the intent was clearly malicious, and that person will never be a moderator on my forum (or any other one for that matter).

Okay, see that bolded part?

Quote:
If this was caused by a moderator, the intent was clearly malicious, and that person will never be a moderator on my forum (or any other one for that matter).

Now picture that string of text that I've marked in red being reinserted into the sentence, except that the insertion point is placed ONE WORD TO THE RIGHT.

Quote:
If this was caused by a moderator, and the intent was clearly malicious, {then} that person will never be a moderator on my forum (or any other one for that matter).

Words are slippery things, never more so than on the Net where you can't see the expression on the other guy's face. (Not that that's ever been a big help for someone like me, but never mind.) I would hate to think that a previously-harmonious working relationship between Alex and his moderating team could be blown to bits by what might be nothing more than a transcription error.

Comments and dissenting opinions welcome.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:03 pm

So how are you interrupting it?

He isn't 100% sure a mod did this and if the mod did to this, this was intentional. That mod will never mod his forum again and he will make sure other people know about that person so they won't have that person be a mod for what happened here. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Emor2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2010, 10:12 pm

This is Emor.
I don't have a lot to contribute due to the fact I quit using this site a while back due to its views on NTs, and how I thought it was also too addictive.
But I'd just like to say that the post I made on PsychForums, and the project, wasn't a malicious one. I was planning on going onto other forums for people with AS, recruiting secretly around 500 members who were ex WP users and had been treated badly or had left due to problems with the moderation and then on one date flooding the site with complains regarding the moderation, so the moderators wouldn't be able to censor them out.
TBH, I think it's ridiculous I've been banned for being critical on another site of the moderation techniques implicitly.
If sinsboldsly(who clearly was the one who banned me) thought my project was suspicious(even though I didn't give any details publicly) then she should have taken it upon her self(she has a responsibility as a moderator on WP to investigate into such things, for the better of WP) to contact me, rather than simply banning me. I also couldn't view the boards, and had to register a new account with a proxy. At first I thought I was IP banned, but once I'd logged in under my new account I seem to be having no problem. Which is confusing. I'd say cookies, but I've been on WP in private browsing mode and still got the same problem...
But yeah, obviously, I no longer need to do the whole project because it's happening now anyway.
It's a shame really because it would have been rather spectacular and I would have had something to be busy with for a couple of weeks... But in terms of the actual cause, the two current threads seem to be doing a fine job :).
But I seriously think you should take some therapy or something sinsboldly. This isn't an insult, you just clearly have control issues. You're also incredibly impulsive
Also, for the WP moderators who feel betrayed, there's at LEAST a thousand other people who would want to be in your position(in terms of privileges), so don't act like it's some sort of burden. You should be grateful for being selected, not be bashing Alex.
Up to now certain moderators have being doing, frankly, a crap job, and just because you have a moderator tag doesn't mean you have some sort of superior judgement. Being a moderator on WP isn't some amazing thing. Most people I know personally on here could do a better job than the specific few who have been abusing their powers.
But yeah. That's my opinion on the subject.
It's more to further verify the claims against sinsbodly specifically, because most of what I've said other members have already stated several times.
EMZ=]

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:16 pm

All I'm saying is that Alex's comment could be interpreted in several very different ways, depending on where the logical operators are placed in the sentence. It's up to him to clarify, really.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm

Personally, of the moderators I've dealt with in their role as moderator, I've found Sinsboldly the easiest to deal with.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm

Mysty wrote:
Personally, of the moderators I've dealt with in their role as moderator, I've found Sinsboldly the easiest to deal with.

Lucky you :roll:

Lactrodactus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2010, 10:24 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Mysty wrote:

Agreed.

Ana54_Again
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2010, 10:30 pm

Lactrodactus wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Mysty wrote:

Agreed.
I thought she was the easiest too, at least the friendliest, taking a personal interest in our lives. But that was just one of her personalities.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:33 pm

Lau surely had a hand in banning me, for no reason. He had taken a dislike to me simply because I'd had an opposing opinion to his in a thread about a water filtration system. Either him and/or Sinsboldly banned me frivolously and without cause. And Mak was on my heels during that time too with his intimidation tactics and now I find he's been made a mod and while he is still operating in the same manner. If I get banned for saying this, so be it. I was devastated because this site was all I had and I didn't deserve to be banned.

Ana54_Again
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm

Meadow, you're not alone. I was rushing to post something on WP after months offline and then I found I was banned. I became suicidal within a few seconds. I was in a public place and started sobbing and saying "I didn't do anything!" I mean, I must have done something, but nothing big and I never made the same mistake twice except for once, but this was way after that... so it's a belated banning?

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 10:48 pm

*hugs* I know...I was sobbing too, for quite some time. I didn't do anything to deserve it.

Ana54_Again
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2010, 10:54 pm

When ShadesOfMe was banned by Lau she started feeling like hurting herself. Me too, but I couldn't do it. I tried, with a pen and then a knife, but it was too gross and painful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm

Ana54_Again wrote:
When ShadesOfMe was banned by Lau she started feeling like hurting herself. Me too, but I couldn't do it. I tried, with a pen and then a knife, but it was too gross and painful.

When was she banned? Can you contact her like in IM or email, invite her here to protest if she was banned unfairly by him or treated badly by one of the mods.

Ana54_Again
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2010, 12:20 am

They let her back in and then said there had been a mixup, or that they were giving her another chance, or something.

Maybe she's banned again, but I don't know.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 12:38 am

Nope she's not. I saw her posts today.

Ana54_Again
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2010, 12:47 am

I guess she wants to lay low and not get banned again, because she made no comments here and so she probably didn't read it so she thinks those 4 (or 3?) mods are still in power.