Drop down articles now dropped down by default?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 6:16 am

The latest one for Autism Talk TV Ep11. The article appears to be unhidden whenever I go to a new WP page (no it's not just the page slow to load). Shouldn't it be hidden by default?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 6:18 am

blue_bean wrote:
The latest one for Autism Talk TV Ep11. The article appears to be unhidden whenever I go to a new WP page (no it's not just the page slow to load). Shouldn't it be hidden by default?

Yeah, I got the same problem.

On sabbatical...

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:39 am

Apparently, when they do a new one, they have it unhidden at first, I guess so people notice. I recall that happening before.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 9:42 am

Mysty wrote:
Apparently, when they do a new one, they have it unhidden at first, I guess so people notice. I recall that happening before.

Yeah, it's definitly happened for the last few when first changed.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 2:03 pm

I noticed that too... Not that I care. It's better than having them flash up momentarily like they used to.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 2:22 pm

What's the GreaseMonkey script to get rid of this crap again?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:03 pm

With Firefox you can use this configuration code which will eliminate the top two blue bars completely. I use it and it works fine. Lau came up with the code some time ago:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(wrongplanet.net) {
   div#accordion {
        display: none !important;
        }
}

Save the code in a file called: userContent.css

On Vista save the file in the folder:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(some digits).default\chrome

You will need to close and reopen Firefox for it to take effect.

Note that the folder "chrome" has nothing to do with the browser called 'Chrome'. This is a Firefox folder.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:49 pm

Can't that code be set up to work with this extension right here? Would make things easier.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:56 pm

TallyMan wrote:
With Firefox you can use this configuration code which will eliminate the top two blue bars completely. I use it and it works fine. Lau came up with the code some time ago:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(wrongplanet.net) {
   div#accordion {
        display: none !important;
        }
}

Save the code in a file called: userContent.css

On Vista save the file in the folder:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(some digits).default\chrome

You will need to close and reopen Firefox for it to take effect.

Note that the folder "chrome" has nothing to do with the browser called 'Chrome'. This is a Firefox folder.

Wow thanks it was a bit of an annoyance having those bars, I am on a small net book and screen space is at a premium
in WinXP its a little different then finding in Vista or Win 7 but the fix works the same
C:\Documents and Settings\SilentBob\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\nhycr4ri.default\chrome

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:17 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Can't that code be set up to work with this extension right here? Would make things easier.

I don't know. I don't use Greasemonkey.

It only takes a minute to create and save the code I gave though - you can do it using Notepad - just remember to change the file extension from txt to css.

The only problem people are likely to encounter is that the AppData folder is hidden by default on Vista and Windows7 and people need to know how to unhide it.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:37 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

It only takes a minute to create and save the code I gave though - you can do it using Notepad - just remember to change the file extension from txt to css.

The only problem people are likely to encounter is that the AppData folder is hidden by default on Vista and Windows7 and people need to know how to unhide it.

Ahh, but I have a Mac. I guess I can look through Firefox's settings folders to find where I need to save the file, but I'm far too lazy for that :wink:

lau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 6:39 pm

Another way to add the CSS to Firefox is to start off by adding the "Web Developer" extension. Then you can just use the CSS dropdown and "Add User Style Sheet...".
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60/

PS. I freely admit that I did not come up with the rather neat solution given above. The honour for that remains with "matt". See:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3133621 ... t=#3133621

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2010, 3:25 am

Asp-Z wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Ahh, but I have a Mac. I guess I can look through Firefox's settings folders to find where I need to save the file, but I'm far too lazy for that :wink:

Under OS X, the correct folder is /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default/chrome

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 3:42 pm

I seem to recall mentioning this before somewhere: that Alex was grinning at me from the dropped down drop-downs even AFTER I watched the videos, and wouldn't go away. Now its become endemic, and I have even more irrelevant images to scroll past on a teensy net-book screen. Just a pair of links would be more than sufficient I think. We don't really need a HUGE synopsis AND a vaguely related pic. It starts to lean towards the excessively spammy, on top of all the other adverts, and the excessive number of "Wrong Planets" that appear.
Wrong Planet Forums Forum Index -> WrongPlanet.net discussion <<like so.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 12:07 am

I haven't been here for a while, and i've noticed that those drop down things (Autism Talk 12 is default open on the main forum page, but 11 still does what everyone's complaining about, and both do it on the subforums) still drop down quickly and then recoil (or however you would phrase that) whenever I go to a new subforum. Isn't there a better way to do those drop downs? Its a bit distracting.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 10:05 am

Those dropdown ads a #$%@ing annoying as hell. They are always down when I load a page and then the page jumps around as they close one by one--if they close. And it just makes having to see the pics with the ads every freaking time you open a new forum or go back the main index infuriating, and so I'm that much less likely to want to check out the vids/articles. And it's precisely because I find those ads so bleeping obnoxious that I refuse to check out whatever they are advertising.

I think those ads need to stay on the main WP page and off the forums page where they interfer with the user-friendliness of the fourms. Announcements of these things within the forums is more than enough.