MODERATOR ATTENTION: How to get help when you need it

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 8:11 pm

The person might be autistic....but the person should make an effort to have others understand him/her.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 8:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The person might be autistic....but the person should make an effort to have others understand him/her.

Or it gets moved to the Haven where they can have a thread for posting whatever they need to post even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 8:42 pm

Mods taking action against posts or threads by aspies for behaving like aspies - a long-running WP saga, and one which perhaps has no definitive solution, except perhaps that a bit more (as in 'a lot more') forbearance might not be a bad thing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 10:37 pm

It could have been moved to Random, it didn't need to be in PPR.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:24 am

I don't see much differnce between that and this viewtopic.php?t=389740&start=96

Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2020, 1:38 am

^ If you scroll to the bottom it looks like ElabR8Aspie posted in that thread as well just recently.

Yeah I guess I agree it shouldn't be locked. I can think of many highly successful 'pointless' threads.

*unlocked

Apparently we are all 'fakes' though aligned with the 'shapeshifter' according to my literal brains interpretation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:47 am

DeepHour wrote:
Mods taking action against posts or threads by aspies for behaving like aspies - a long-running WP saga, and one which perhaps has no definitive solution, except perhaps that a bit more (as in 'a lot more') forbearance might not be a bad thing.

Disagree.
10 years hard labour would solve the problem. :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 3:40 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Someone hasn't posted in 9 months and now drops in to constantly bump his own thread in PPR:
viewtopic.php?t=392417

... looks more or less like word salad...
Thanks - pointless thread locked as spam.

Was the thread hurting anyone? Who cares if the OP bumps it up every nine months?

This is an autism support site. Should we be so rigid in our rules that we alienate vulnerable members because they behave in an eccentric way?

Sorry, I don't see the point of locking this thread.

This. :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Nov 2020, 8:28 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Was the thread hurting anyone? Who cares if the OP bumps it up every nine months?

This is an autism support site. Should we be so rigid in our rules that we alienate vulnerable members because they behave in an eccentric way?

Sorry, I don't see the point of locking this thread.
DeepHour wrote:
Mods taking action against posts or threads by aspies for behaving like aspies - a long-running WP saga, and one which perhaps has no definitive solution

We the people have spoken, so fair enough - the thread is unlocked and has been moved to The Haven, which seems more appropriate than PPR.

To be clear, I'm not generally concerned whether there's an easily discernable purpose for a thread - I'm not here to evaluate the "worthiness" of any thread's content - but when a complaint is received about one and it seems to fit the site's rule for spamming: "* Please do not create pointless threads. These will be locked or deleted." then I'm likely to take action.

:shrug: What to do... colour me Aspie, I guess. :oops:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 9:23 am

Cornflake wrote:
To be clear, I'm not generally concerned whether there's an easily discernable purpose for a thread - I'm not here to evaluate the "worthiness" of any thread's content - but when a complaint is received about one and it seems to fit the site's rule for spamming: "* Please do not create pointless threads. These will be locked or deleted." then I'm likely to take action.

:lol: I'd even say not move it out of PPR.
As one of those who can read what half of those texts are...

PPR happened to be the most appropriate section to go in context of those particular text.

But I guess it's too late for me to say it.
And you guys decides the end of it. Oh well.

Better than locked or deleted.

Blue_Star
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2020, 1:28 pm

The same user has created another thread in PPR. Prolly need to either leave it be or time to pm the user to explain what's going on.

Cornflake wrote:
We the people have spoken, so fair enough - the thread is unlocked and has been moved to The Haven, which seems more appropriate than PPR.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:44 pm

Cornflake wrote:

This appears to be a general issue that comes up when moderating. The mindset seems to be 'I've received a complaint, I need to act on it.' when perhaps it should be 'I've received a complaint, this will need to be evaluated to determine what response is appropriate, if any.'

I've received complaints in the past that were steadily boiled down to 'posters are upset and expect something to be done' without any actual instance of a rule being broken requiring action. That's not a good reason to act against a poster.

Considering how fussy many of us can be over various issues 'somebody doesn't like it' without a specific violation of a policy is a terrible reason to act. Some complaints are unreasonable and even the most reasonable posters in a community like this have moments in or issues on which they're less reasonable than they are by average.

considered/non-actionable/closed ought to be a common ruling.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Nov 2020, 1:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The mindset seems to be 'I've received a complaint, I need to act on it.' when perhaps it should be 'I've received a complaint, this will need to be evaluated to determine what response is appropriate, if any.'
The latter part is how I approach every complaint.
Quote:
It is, often.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 6:20 pm

Cornflake wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
The mindset seems to be 'I've received a complaint, I need to act on it.' when perhaps it should be 'I've received a complaint, this will need to be evaluated to determine what response is appropriate, if any.'
The latter part is how I approach every complaint.
Quote:
It is, often.

For what it's worth you're not really who I had in mind when I was expressing that. As much as from my eyes this seemed to be a case of that occurring, it's also a very mild one.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper

23 Nov 2020, 7:36 pm

Anyone living in the USA who can assist this member?

viewtopic.php?t=392482

Buton A Button B

Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2020, 7:44 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Anyone living in the USA who can assist this member?

viewtopic.php?t=392482

Weirdness is in the UK if I remember correctly.