Getting sick of the bigots and trolls on WP

Page 3 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:36 pm

bheid wrote:
There are two sub-species of trolls:
The first is simple and easy to remove. this is the type that makes a thread insulting the entire community, which vanishes in two seconds and the troll is ip banned forever.
The second is more insidious. It exists to create strife within the forum, often between two innocent members themselves. It will often invoke Godwin's law and derail an interesting debate. It defends itself with the letter of the law and not the spirit. Witch hunts are called after this sub-species, and sometimes innocents are banned.

I think those are good descriptions. I notice both types of behavior on a regular basis. It's not surprising because this is a large support site, and trolls are often attracted to support sites.

Personally, I'm comfortable with the amount of policing that's carried out on this site. Yes, I see plenty of people get away with things that others are banned for, but I think that if the anti-troll efforts intensified, more innocent people would be banned and people might not feel as free to express unpopular opinions.

Part of the problem is that people don't always agree on how to differentiate unpopular opinions from insults and/or bigotry and/or trolling. After all, there can be a lot of overlap between those things.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:38 pm

Also, Spudnik, if you're leaving, I'm sad to see you go. You seem like a nice guy and I liked that thrash metal video you posted.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 7:16 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Also, Spudnik, if you're leaving, I'm sad to see you go. You seem like a nice guy and I liked that thrash metal video you posted.

Thank you Kim, I think I am going to take a little break, and see how I am feeling in a few days :)

25 Apr 2008, 11:52 pm

I have been accused of being one before only because I stood up for myself and showed him up and he didn't like it so what did he do about it, he says I'm a troll.

Someone else had also thought I was a troll because I jumped on another forum which was a spin off from this site and I noticed there were some people there from here, especially former ones so I started to talk about my fetish and one of them thought I was a troll. He thought I was making it all up until I posted a picture of it and it proved I was for real.

And I was called a troll on IMDB because this guy had sent me two nasty replies after I had emailed him responding to his post on Mozart and the whale IMDB board. He said he has AS and is looking for a girl with AS anf he was looking for love and he said to email him if interested, so I did when I was single and guess what, he sent me two nasty replies. So I thought he was a troll because why would someone make a post looking for a woman with AS and then he gets a repsonse and bam he sends her a nasty email? So i thought he only did that so female aspies can email them so he can tear them up by being nasty to them. So I went back on the board and said he was a troll and he sent me two nasty replies. Few weeks later, he said I was a troll and said he didn't even know me. So I showed him up. I posted his email responses to prove what a liar he is and said why I think he is a troll. He must have been so mad because I ruined his game so he must have reported my posts because within an hour, they were deleted, then he deleted his post too since it was no usuless. Heck I even thought he was faking be AS but when I saw his review for Mozart and the Whale, he mentioned his condition so I figured maybe he really does have it but he happens to be an as*hole which I found sick. Why would an aspie send a nasty response to another aspie just because their email was crappy because of lack of social skills in it. I happened to send him a crappy email because I didn't know what to say. he said to just email him, he didn't say what to say in it so I told him I was ooohhhmmyyyy from IMDB and I saw his post and I have AS too and I live in Montana, where is he from. I bet he lives very far away. He emailed me back saying "Hello you're supposed to tell me who you are..." and the rest was nasty.
We all know we struggle in social skills so why would as aspie be nasty about it to another aspie. So thats why I thought he was a fakspie. I didn't think no aspie would be nasty to another aspie about their response.

I have seen flaming on here and hurtful comments. Just because you guys don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It does happen here but you just have to happen to look in the right threads to see it.

And why would people troll here, because they don't like Alex and this place so they come back here and troll this place to drive him mad. I have seen the talk about it on another forum. They also do it because they don't like the members here because they don't like all the complaining we do here, the emoness no offense, and the fact there is predators here they say. That's what they have said about this place. This is only one of the reasons why someone would want to troll this place.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 4:13 am

Um, I was directed here by the agency.

I guess I'm here to be scanned for trollish behavior... uh... do i have to drop my pants or wear one of those funny gowns or something? 8O

They told me if everything checks out I get a sticker that says I'm okay and not a troll... can I have a piece of candy too? :wink:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 4:51 am

Bopkasen wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I am getting sick of the bigots and trolls on WP, all the flame wars to do with religion, race, or just being a pricks in general, before I get flamed for saying this, its only a very few members here that seem to be getting away with saying what ever they want, with out any consequences

If you don't like what you reading, don't read it at all.

You have to read it to find out whether you like it or not.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 10:35 pm

Specter wrote:
I haven't run into any, thankfully. :D I think it's a pleasant place here. *gives everyone flowers* :)
I was spared until recently :cry:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:09 am

I've been called a bigot and a troll before. Quite often, in fact, and mostly by Kilroy.

My view is that if someone posts something against my religion or views,
then they have opened the door for me to defend them.

Also: next jerk to quote the Bible at me to say I should be a pushover looses any potential respect.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:37 am

I'm actually surprised at how few trolls there seem to be here.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:49 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
My view is that if someone posts something against my religion or views, then they have opened the door for me to defend them.

Yes, when emotions run high, it can be hard to the difference between defending and attacking.

It's like the difference between assertiveness and aqgresiveness. It takes some people half a lifetime to learn the difference. Some people never learn the difference.

It might be best to be meek and humble in one's religious views. After all, isn't humility a value in most major religions? Won't the meek inherit the Earth?

If your point is really sound, does it really need to be defended? If you're really secure in your beliefs, does it really matter what other people believe?

Are free to allow people to believe what ever they want, and still feel okay yourself? If not, maybe you should pray to God for that freedom. It's a nice peaceful feeling.

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:54 am

Hector wrote:
I'm actually surprised at how few trolls there seem to be here.

Good police work, and some good public relations among senoir management at various different forums, has significantly reduced the problem.

Now if we could just keep the some of the membership away from each other't throats....

- Emerson

psych
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:11 am

MrMark wrote:
If you're really secure in your beliefs, does it really matter what other people believe?

good post :)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:16 am

Quote:
Now if we could just keep the some of the membership away from each other't throats....

MrMark, You are right we need to that more along with other things as well.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:29 am

MrMark wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
My view is that if someone posts something against my religion or views, then they have opened the door for me to defend them.

Yes, when emotions run high, it can be hard to the difference between defending and attacking.

Emotions are irrelevant. "hard to the" Hard to what? Tell? No, that is not hard to tell. There is something to be said about Hegelian dialectics, but the thing is that usually the other people attack me for what I believe. If their arguments don't hold up they usually become verbally abusive.

MrMark wrote:
It's like the difference between assertiveness and aqgresiveness. It takes some people half a lifetime to learn the difference. Some people never learn the difference.

Aggressiveness. They usually assert their beliefs and worldviews on me with aggression. There's an ss in the middle.

MrMark wrote:
It might be best to be meek and humble in one's religious views. After all, isn't humility a value in most major religions? Won't the meek inherit the Earth?

How about with any views, why relegate it to religion only?

MrMark wrote:
If your point is really sound, does it really need to be defended? If you're really secure in your beliefs, does it really matter what other people believe?

The security of my views and what I am forced to accept by experience and reason is not at stake. Also, when something that is considered "scientific", like vaccines causing Autism, and all the various nonsense there, if people are "secure in [their] beliefs, does it really matter what other people believe?" Well?

MrMark wrote:
Are free to allow people to believe what ever they want, and still feel okay yourself? If not, maybe you should pray to God for that freedom. It's a nice peaceful feeling.

Really now, it would be nice if people would be even handed in this. People can think whatever they want to. I don't care if I change their minds or not. But when it comes to them trying to get Christians to see "how wrong and stupid they are" nothing is done to prevent them from doing so. I suppose it's because they don't have a Bible which non-believers are free to misquote in their own favor. It amazes me how non-believers and pseudo-believers are the true Bible thumpers! Or in this case, not even the Bible but just something "religious sounding"... :roll:

Here is what the Bible says to me on this matter:

Quote:
1 Peter 3:13-16 ISV
13 Who will harm you if you are devoted to doing what is good?
14 But even if you should suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Never be afraid of their threats, and never get upset.
15 Instead, exalt Christ as Lord in your hearts. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you to explain the hope you have.
16 But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak evil of your good conduct in Christ will be ashamed of slandering you.

I am to defend my views. Sure, I need to work on the "gentleness and respect" issue,
but I shall not keep silent when I am challenged.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:58 am

Perhaps one should avoid casting pearls before swine?

- Emerson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:05 am

MrMark wrote:
Perhaps one should avoid casting pearls before swine?

True. Who should I call "swine"?