How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 7 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:20 am

Basically just tell them they are coming across as a racist.
Maybe they aren’t , but their ideals and beliefs lead in that direction.
@Fnord, I thought it was brown shirts.I’ve never thought of red as a Nazi shirt color.Is there even a picture of Hitler in a red shirt??

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
... I still believe the concept of “white privilege” is a racist concept. I do not believe YOU are racist, I believe you are anti racist...
In my opinion, the term "White Privilege" is just a label applied to the different experiences white people and non-white people have under the same circumstances.  In my opinion, the whole concept has been exaggerated to make it seem like a deliberate act or conspiracy to "keep the races down".

I've compiled lists of alleged privileges of whites, blacks, men, women, children, the elderly, disabled people, people with autism, wealthy people. and poor people.  Reading through all of those lists further reinforces my opinion that whatever passes for "______ privilege" is largely an exaggeration.

Other people's opinions may differ, of course.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:29 am

magz wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I really don't know what I'm fighting for anymore tbh this place has really done a number on me and I have far more pressing issues IRL that I am trying to ignore .

Hug!
Go rob some spoon store (not literally...) or something, you deserve it!
Thanks for asking all the uncomfortable questions! :heart:

Thanks magz :heart:

Did I really ask uncomfortable questions though , I don't think I did ( maybe I have a blindspot :jester: )

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:31 am

Misslizard wrote:
... @Fnord, I thought it was brown shirts.  I’ve never thought of red as a Nazi shirt color.  Is there even a picture of Hitler in a red shirt??
The person provided a link to a webpage that discussed a certain red-shirted neo-nazi/white-supremacist/extreme-right group.  As I said, I want no part of that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:35 am

Drake wrote:
As bad as the stuff about racism is, the banning of this word:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/thug

Is the worst. It is extremely fringe today to see that used in a racial slur way. Context matters, and you can see all the familiar contexts in which that word is used. It's not a word we can just replace with another either, as it's a catch all for these behaviours that we don't afaik have a word with which to perform the same function, because why would we, when we already have the word for the job, in widespread use and understanding, right there.

EDIT: Some of you may have seen this post in it's original form of me accusing of post deletion. That was my bad. I posted it in the wrong place, so it's also in the making WP better thread. Sorry about that! :oops:

I agree.I live in an all white area and I hear that word referring to white people all the time.
It’s even a clothing brand.
https://www.gangstagroup.com/thug-life/

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 10:36 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
magz wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I really don't know what I'm fighting for anymore tbh this place has really done a number on me and I have far more pressing issues IRL that I am trying to ignore .

Hug!
Go rob some spoon store (not literally...) or something, you deserve it!
Thanks for asking all the uncomfortable questions! :heart:
Thanks magz :heart:

Did I really ask uncomfortable questions though , I don't think I did ( maybe I have a blindspot :jester: )

Not to me, to Alex :D

I do believe we need to ask the uncomfortable questions and make our best to answer them honestly.
You did a very important job.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Last edited by magz on 25 Aug 2020, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
... I still believe the concept of “white privilege” is a racist concept.

If coupled with assigning of collective guilt and expectations of atonement, absolutely. Which seems to be the default.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:38 am

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
... @Fnord, I thought it was brown shirts.  I’ve never thought of red as a Nazi shirt color.  Is there even a picture of Hitler in a red shirt??
The person provided a link to a webpage that discussed a certain red-shirted neo-nazi/white-supremacist/extreme-right group.  As I said, I want no part of that.

*looks at some of my red clothing*

People must have been smoking crack to equate a red shirt to Nazi's , WTF is wrong with people.

This is one my favourite tshirts but I could never show a picture of me wearing it as it's racism :jester:

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

In fact there is a photo of me wearing the white version somewhere on the site , The Nazi hunters better track it down and remove it. Can't have this brand of racism on this site.

Last edited by Oh_no_its_Ferris on 25 Aug 2020, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:41 am

Still ... it might not be a good idea to have an avatar featuring the "wrong" colors or inflammatory symbols.

Just sayin'...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:42 am

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I can understand that.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:42 am

Fnord wrote:
Still ... it might not be a good idea to have an avatar featuring the "wrong" colors or inflammatory symbols.

Just sayin'...

I feel you Fnord but I'm past caring

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:44 am

What about religious symbols with the swastika?Will they be banned?
Political satire with those images?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:44 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Still ... it might not be a good idea to have an avatar featuring the "wrong" colors or inflammatory symbols.  Just sayin'...
I feel you Fnord, but I'm past caring.
Good luck!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:46 am

Misslizard wrote:
What about religious symbols with the swastika?  Will they be banned?  Political satire with those images?
What about all religious or political symbols, with no deference shown toward any?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 10:48 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
... I still believe the concept of “white privilege” is a racist concept. I do not believe YOU are racist, I believe you are anti racist...
In my opinion, the term "White Privilege" is just a label applied to the different experiences white people and non-white people have under the same circumstances.
That's what I was able to make of it, too. And I asked several times for definitions and examples because I live in completely different reality of ethnicities.
"White privilege", as defined that way, seems prevalent in the US and this fact is very bad. However, the problem is not that some have it but that some lack it, because what was described as "white privilege" is just being treated in a civil way by random people you encounter.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>