Reasons Aspies don't join/leave WP?

Page 8 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Are you aware of individuals on the spectrum that have a) decided not to join WP, or b) left WP?
Poll ended at 24 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm
Yes, but I don't know why individuals left/didn’t join 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
I don't know anyone else who left/didn’t join 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
No, everyone I know who joined WP stayed 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Yes, they indicated they didn’t like "negativity" 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Yes, they thought this site was too positive towards ASDs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, they thought the site is too pro-cure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, they thought the site didn’t represent them 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Yes, they felt their views were ignored 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Yes, they thought the site was too depressing 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Yes, they felt awkward posting positive life experiences 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Other/Please explain 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 87

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 9:40 pm

LookTwice wrote:
I think there are many reasons, and it depends a lot on what you hope to get out of posting on here. For me, I am/was actually looking for a level of connection, feeling less alone. This has worked to a degree, in a similar way that reading a book can make you feel less alone - you sometimes see your reflection in what other people say. Apart from that, however, this hasn't really happened for me - I don't have a personal relationship with anyone on here.

I'll just post from the perspective of someone who not only deals with AS but also with deep-rooted depression and anxiety issues. I don't really feel at home here. Some people in this thread have mentioned negativity and making one's problems out to be more profound than those of other people. It may not be so, but I feel like this is addressing posts that I have made or was considering to make. I'm pretty sure my posts can seem self-obsessive and self-important. But what some people consider whining for me is only an attempt at expressing my experience, usually in the childish hope that someone will come along and explain how I can make the pain stop. I'm aware that this is an unrealistic idea, and the fact that I still sometimes create those kinds of posts signifies my level of helplessness in dealing with it on my own.
I know that many people don't really want to be bothered with things that don't have easy solutions, or things they can't really understand.
I feel like some people think that if I don't believe I can get better, I should just shut up and get out of everybody's way. Reminds me of that one guy in "Lost" that was dying slowly in S1 and made everyone uncomfortable with his screaming and his pain.

So, those are the main reasons that make me consider leaving: not feeling like I fit in, inability to connect, feeling like I'm bothering people - which kind of sums up my experience in other social settings.

In the end, I think all of us are trying to express our experiences, and struggle through our personal issues. Every viewpoint has merit, and a post you may feel anxious about can be a beacon for someone...even years down the road. Don't ever hesitate to post due to a fear of negative reactions. If it's valid to you, then it's valid period. Unfortunately, sometimes there just isn't a good answer for every question.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:22 pm

<--- Didn't sign up until it was confirmed he was on the spectrum.
<--- Has left once after being scolded by a moderator.
<--- Has left twice after having his ass handed to him by negative members.
<--- Is wary, and stays out of, PPR and Love & Dating.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 12:49 am

Shatbat wrote:
Also, Dox47, how did L&D use to be, and why do you think it changed? I am still curious :lol: as is another member.

It didn't used to be so polarized, with entrenched sides fighting the same battles over and over again and getting more and more hardened with every clash. When I started here, it was still somewhat negative, but it was a bit more like the Haven, in that you could go in there, vent about a bad dating experience and get support, not have 15 people jump down your throat because they didn't like the way you spoke about their gender, etc. At some point, this "call out culture" sort of took over, where "confronting sexism" became more important than supporting people who were having a hard time, and as I've pointed out in other threads, verbally kicking people when they're down is not an effective means of persuasion. Plenty of people that are not sexist or otherwise bigoted will happily play the part if treated that way out of pure spite, and so the forum has spiraled ever downward into the current cycle of misogynist!/feminazi! name-calling and such, with all the nastiness that entails.

IMHO, if the mods want to break the cycle, they need to set up some forum specific guidelines like those that apply in PPR or the Haven for L&D, specifically designating it as a support forum, and start moving any argumentative threads down to PPR and sanctioning repeat offenders who deliberately start trouble. It would probably be a pain in the ass, but it could be done, the culture in there would just need to be changed a bit.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jun 2013, 1:54 am

Dox47 wrote:
It didn't used to be so polarized, with entrenched sides fighting the same battles over and over again and getting more and more hardened with every clash. When I started here, it was still somewhat negative, but it was a bit more like the Haven, in that you could go in there, vent about a bad dating experience and get support, not have 15 people jump down your throat because they didn't like the way you spoke about their gender, etc. At some point, this "call out culture" sort of took over, where "confronting sexism" became more important than supporting people who were having a hard time, and as I've pointed out in other threads, verbally kicking people when they're down is not an effective means of persuasion. Plenty of people that are not sexist or otherwise bigoted will happily play the part if treated that way out of pure spite, and so the forum has spiraled ever downward into the current cycle of misogynist!/feminazi! name-calling and such, with all the nastiness that entails.

Love & Dating is full of actual misogyny. Are women simply supposed to say "Oh, poor baby" every time a guy comes in and says something nasty about women? I don't think that'll work out too well.

Sexism isn't cool, and is in fact against the forum rules.

Quote:
IMHO, if the mods want to break the cycle, they need to set up some forum specific guidelines like those that apply in PPR or the Haven for L&D, specifically designating it as a support forum, and start moving any argumentative threads down to PPR and sanctioning repeat offenders who deliberately start trouble. It would probably be a pain in the ass, but it could be done, the culture in there would just need to be changed a bit.

The culture does need to be changed a bit - it needs to not be a place where guys go to express misogynist viewpoints about women. Your solution (and expressed perspective) is extremely lopsided where it is apparently worse to say, "What you just wrote is sexist" than it is to actually be sexist, even though the latter is actually insulting.

The rules already forbid sexism, as I noted above. Actually trying to abide by those rules may result in less of the arguing that seems to bother you so much.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 2:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
Shatbat wrote:
Also, Dox47, how did L&D use to be, and why do you think it changed? I am still curious :lol: as is another member.

What you describe are suppressed thoughts manifesting on a largely anonymous forum with minimal fear of repercussions or recrimination unlike in the real world, While it may be therapeutic for people to get things off their chest, they need to be mature enough to consider the feelings and sensitivity of other people on this forum.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jun 2013, 2:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
What you describe are suppressed thoughts manifesting on a largely anonymous forum with minimal fear of repercussions or recrimination unlike in the real world, While it may be therapeutic for people to get things off their chest, they need to be mature enough to consider the feelings and sensitivity of other people on this forum.

More tactful than I managed, but this is the essence of what I was trying to say.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 5:20 am

Verdandi wrote:
Love & Dating is full of actual misogyny. Are women simply supposed to say "Oh, poor baby" every time a guy comes in and says something nasty about women? I don't think that'll work out too well.

Why do you need to say anything at all? Someone who is venting is shouting at the moon, there is no reason to attack them if they're not saying anything about you personally. Has attacking a person who's blowing off steam ever helped anything? Made a difference? Improved the climate of the forum? Or would you say that it's pissed people off, hardened gender divisions, and turned L&D into a DMZ that even a seasoned moderator is depressed to look at?

Verdandi wrote:
Sexism isn't cool, and is in fact against the forum rules.

So report it if you think it's actually breaking the rules.

Verdandi wrote:
]The culture does need to be changed a bit - it needs to not be a place where guys go to express misogynist viewpoints about women. Your solution (and expressed perspective) is extremely lopsided where it is apparently worse to say, "What you just wrote is sexist" than it is to actually be sexist, even though the latter is actually insulting.

What I actually said is that L&D should be a support forum and not a debate forum, and that debates should be moved to PPR where they belong. People go to L&D to talk about their personal experiences, not to get into a fight about how their interpretation of those experiences is wrong and bad and sexist, etc, which leads to the acrimony that pervades that forum.

I also don't believe that the torches and pitchforks approach to people who you think are behaving in a sexist manner is terribly productive, even otherwise reasonable people are going to give you the finger if approached in that manner. So you've got to ask yourself, is being obnoxious and self righteous to someone more important to you than actually getting what you want? Cause it's not helping your cause, that's for sure.

Verdandi wrote:
The rules already forbid sexism, as I noted above. Actually trying to abide by those rules may result in less of the arguing that seems to bother you so much.

The rules forbid a lot of things, how they're enforced when the rubber hits the road is an entirely different matter. Also, where are you getting this idea that arguing bothers mes? My home forum here is PPR, arguing is what I do; that I don't think it's appropriate to a specific forum does not make me uncomfortable with it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 5:24 am

cyberdad wrote:

Or, people using the forum need to be aware that as a support forum, one of the functions of the site is to allow people to express thoughts and feelings that they might normally repress, and be understanding when those expressions aren't always sunshine and butterflies. Sensitive people don't have to click on those threads, WP is a pretty big place after all.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

LookTwice wrote:
I think there are many reasons, and it depends a lot on what you hope to get out of posting on here. For me, I am/was actually looking for a level of connection, feeling less alone. This has worked to a degree, in a similar way that reading a book can make you feel less alone - you sometimes see your reflection in what other people say. Apart from that, however, this hasn't really happened for me - I don't have a personal relationship with anyone on here.

I'll just post from the perspective of someone who not only deals with AS but also with deep-rooted depression and anxiety issues. I don't really feel at home here. Some people in this thread have mentioned negativity and making one's problems out to be more profound than those of other people. It may not be so, but I feel like this is addressing posts that I have made or was considering to make. I'm pretty sure my posts can seem self-obsessive and self-important. But what some people consider whining for me is only an attempt at expressing my experience, usually in the childish hope that someone will come along and explain how I can make the pain stop. I'm aware that this is an unrealistic idea, and the fact that I still sometimes create those kinds of posts signifies my level of helplessness in dealing with it on my own.
I know that many people don't really want to be bothered with things that don't have easy solutions, or things they can't really understand.
I feel like some people think that if I don't believe I can get better, I should just shut up and get out of everybody's way. Reminds me of that one guy in "Lost" that was dying slowly in S1 and made everyone uncomfortable with his screaming and his pain.

So, those are the main reasons that make me consider leaving: not feeling like I fit in, inability to connect, feeling like I'm bothering people - which kind of sums up my experience in other social settings.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way.

In terms of "negativity"- (since I mentioned negativity earlier)- I guess I don't mind so much when people talk about their *own* problems.....heck, we all do that, I do it too; it's therapeutic to bring these things to light. The kind of negativity I don't like is when people are catty, or mean to other people, or nasty when someone tries to help them. There is enough rudeness in the "real world"; I think sites like Wrong Planet should be a safe haven for us to express ourselves, without the fear of being attacked by other people.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

LookTwice wrote:

Would it be fair to summarize this view as "Site not condusive to forming social connections"? I'd use the phrase "forming personal connections", but I fear some readers would read it as meaning someting else.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Why do you need to say anything at all? Someone who is venting is shouting at the moon, there is no reason to attack them if they're not saying anything about you personally. Has attacking a person who's blowing off steam ever helped anything? Made a difference? Improved the climate of the forum? Or would you say that it's pissed people off, hardened gender divisions, and turned L&D into a DMZ that even a seasoned moderator is depressed to look at?

Why do guys have to go to L&D and say anything at all, then?

Anyway, if someone comes in expressing toxic views about women because he had a bad relationship experience, I tend to assume that perhaps his toxic views contributed to those experiences. I think that the sexism in Love & Dating has made it difficult for this forum to function in its intended purpose.

Quote:

When I see it, I do.

Quote:
What I actually said is that L&D should be a support forum and not a debate forum, and that debates should be moved to PPR where they belong. People go to L&D to talk about their personal experiences, not to get into a fight about how their interpretation of those experiences is wrong and bad and sexist, etc, which leads to the acrimony that pervades that forum.

See, objecting to sexism is not a "debate."

Quote:
I also don't believe that the torches and pitchforks approach to people who you think are behaving in a sexist manner is terribly productive, even otherwise reasonable people are going to give you the finger if approached in that manner. So you've got to ask yourself, is being obnoxious and self righteous to someone more important to you than actually getting what you want? Cause it's not helping your cause, that's for sure.

And treating women like garbage is productive? Is that actually getting you what you want?

Quote:
The rules forbid a lot of things, how they're enforced when the rubber hits the road is an entirely different matter. Also, where are you getting this idea that arguing bothers mes? My home forum here is PPR, arguing is what I do; that I don't think it's appropriate to a specific forum does not make me uncomfortable with it.

I didn't say that arguing bothers you. I said that particular argument appears to bother you. Apparently it's fine for guys to condemn women as a group but it's wrong for women to say, "That's not right" because that interferes with L&D as a support forum. Which I guess means that it's only supposed to be a support forum for men? Because women are supposed to just shut up and be supportive to sexist jerks?

Your objections here are lopsided.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

Of course, some people come to WP thinking they're safe amongst their own kind, especially in regards to their quirky and original thoughts and beliefs. But when they, suddenly, get their ass handed to them, they split. Even the censorship amongst their own kind is oppressive.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
LookTwice wrote:

Would it be fair to summarize this view as "Site not condusive to forming social connections"? I'd use the phrase "forming personal connections", but I fear some readers would read it as meaning someting else.

I've made friends with people from WP

It doesn't come easily though - I've been posting on here for a number of years It's having a certain level of presence on the board that is more likely to lead to making a connection with someone. So the site can be condusive to forming social connections.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:25 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Why do guys have to go to L&D and say anything at all, then?

Anyway, if someone comes in expressing toxic views about women because he had a bad relationship experience, I tend to assume that perhaps his toxic views contributed to those experiences. I think that the sexism in Love & Dating has made it difficult for this forum to function in its intended purpose.

Quote:

When I see it, I do.

Quote:

See, objecting to sexism is not a "debate."

Quote:

And treating women like garbage is productive? Is that actually getting you what you want?

Quote:

I didn't say that arguing bothers you. I said that particular argument appears to bother you. Apparently it's fine for guys to condemn women as a group but it's wrong for women to say, "That's not right" because that interferes with L&D as a support forum. Which I guess means that it's only supposed to be a support forum for men? Because women are supposed to just shut up and be supportive to sexist jerks?

Your objections here are lopsided.

It's easier to avoid debate with certain types of poster full stop - you won't change their views but they'll certainly grind you down!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

nessa238 wrote:
It's easier to avoid debate with certain types of poster full stop - you won't change their views but they'll certainly grind you down!

This is a fair point.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:02 am

Dox47 wrote:

If your argument is that L&D is supposed to be a support forum (which I agree with, by the way) - then no, sexism can't be acceptable there because otherwise nobody is going to be able to get any support there. As soon as you allow sexism there - that completely ruins any form of "support" that would have been previously possible.