For the love god, PLEASE STOP with the CAPTCHA.

Page 2 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:20 pm

nick007 wrote:
It's a nonWP page & there's a space underneath where I can leave a message for the webmaster & after I post I go back to the thread & see my post but when I go back or check my post history it's not there.

Yep, thats the same problem I'm having. I wish somebody would fix this.

CAPTCHA should be used only for registering, not for every posting.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
The cloudflare service isn't just looking at the content you post - but the content of the thread you're posting to. I know I've been posting to many of the same threads as Max000 and am also getting captcha challenges.

Unfortunately, just have to deal with them.

Unfortunately it is close to impossible to deal with.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Last edited by Max000 on 14 Jul 2013, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:23 pm

Maybe it's all of those frowny-faces ... ?

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm

Interesting theory, but it's happening on postings without the frowny-faces too.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm

Oh my god... yes, please... for the love of all that is unholy STOP with all the poxy Captcha checks.
I never had this until today, but all day... ever single time I try to post, preview or even edit typos in a post.... captcha, captcha, captcha.....
I realise I'm not exactly standard as humans go, but I absolutely assure you that I am one.
8O

I wouldn't mind but that on top of the usual glitchiness of WP is winding me up now.... either WP can't cope with smiley data in the message (even ones with NO smilies in them) , it can't get 'topic watch information', it's overloaded with messages and conks out completely, or it's bombarding me with captcha messages.

It will probably do it again when I post this !
:evil:

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

Oh my god... yes, please... for the love of all that is unholy STOP with all the poxy Captcha checks.
I never had this until today, but all day... ever single time I try to post, preview or even edit typos in a post.... captcha, captcha, captcha.....
I realise I'm not exactly standard as humans go, but I absolutely assure you that I am one.
8O

I wouldn't mind but that on top of the usual glitchiness of WP is winding me up now.... either WP can't cope with smiley data in the message (even ones with NO smilies in them) , it can't get 'topic watch information', it's overloaded with messages and conks out completely, or it's bombarding me with captcha messages.

It will probably do it again when I post this !
:evil:

ETA : oh for the love of.... yes it has.
"can't optain topic watch information"

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:33 pm

.. except that it posted my first message anyway and never told me.
Well, I'm not deleting it because it will just captcha me again and it seems to be letting me post messages just now without having to do them. 8O

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2013, 7:53 am

I wouldn't mind if it was an actual CAPTCHA and once you entered it your post would post, but what keeps happening for me is they tell me I have to "enter the above text" but the page is totally blank. There IS no "above text" to enter. So there is literally nothing I can do.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 8:01 am

Yeah, right now its a bit annoying.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:25 am

Max000 wrote:
Interesting theory, but it's happening on postings without the frowny-faces too.

Maybe all of those lines in your signature?

Yeah, I'm taking random guesses, and mainly because I rarely encounter a Captcha screen on this website.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
"can't optain topic watch information"
This is unrelated to CAPTCHA - it's an intermittent bug with the forum software itself and if you've previously posted to a thread, nothing happens and the error can be ignored.
If it's the first time you've posted to a thread then the normal function of activating a watch on that topic for replies won't happen. If this is important to you then you will need to go to the first page of the topic and click on the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the foot of the page to manually activate it.
(but I see that you have the "Always notify me of replies" option disabled in your profile, therefore the error about obtaining watch information can be ignored)

diablo77 wrote:
So there is literally nothing I can do.
There is something to investigate, though: see here, in your other thread:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt235211.html

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:34 pm

:-) Thankyou for your informative reply.

Would you be able to explain why I keep getting "error in posting" responses coming up sometimes when I try to make posts ?

Or why WP keeps protesting about being unable to process the smiley data in my posts even when there aren't any smilies ?

CheredIsTyping
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2013, 4:18 pm

UGh yeah i have been getting them too.

No signature. Hardly ever use smilies. Mine might be because my internet is purely on my phone? I don't know.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jul 2013, 5:09 pm

The smilies error can still appear even when there are none in a post - 'something' goes wrong in the background, while preparing the post, and that seems to be a pretty meaningless error the forum software coughs up as a result. I don't think I've ever seen this error unless I'm including an image in the post, though.
If, in desperation, the "Disable Smilies in this post" checkbox is checked, it's still hit and miss whether it will now succeed - it can sometimes work after doing this, but more often it simply fails with another error instead. :lol:

The best way to "test the waters" is to click the "Preview" button, whether images are included or not.
Any problems likely to cause an "error in posting" failure when submitting will surface then, plus it's an ideal chance to spot those text formatting or spelling errors. Although... sometimes, despite successfully previewing a post, submitting it can still cause the "error in posting" message - but in those cases, retrying the submission normally succeeds.
When no images are included this error appears to be very rare, and I can't think of any case during my own postings when it has appeared that a single retry hasn't then succeeded.

But when images are included and a preview generates the smilies error, it is sometimes worth trying the preview a few more times and if it succeeds, submitting the image immediately will also usually succeed. But if the preview never succeeds... well, it's a case of not including the image or trying another one from a different source - and it is source-related in some way: I have never had this error when posting images sourced through Wikipedia, for example.

@CheredIsTyping - no, this one is caused entirely by problems with the forum software. It's something about they way in which it processes a post in preparation for display (preview or post) that causes the error.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:14 am

My solution so far for the CAPTCHA crap I get on google chrome:

Copy the text from the reply box to the clipboard -> open firefox -> login to wrongplanet -> go to the same thread -> reply -> paste the text into the reply box -> post -> log off -> go back to chrome.

In other words, try posting the same message using another browser.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:24 am

Um, that seems like a lot of work to go through. Especially when there is no guarantee that it will work in the other browser either.

But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll try a different browser, the next time it happens.