For the love god, PLEASE STOP with the CAPTCHA.

Page 6 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 6:37 pm

conundrum wrote:
I'll keep all that in mind--thanks. People have told me I should just get a new laptop--maybe it's time I broke down and did so. :D

I appreciate the advice, btw. :)

:-) That's no problem at all.
I hope that it might be helpful to you.

New laptops are a great idea :-D even the comparatively cheap ones are quite a powerhouse nowadays.
I got my new one a few months ago (one of the comparatively cheap ones) , and am just delighted with how much better it is than my old one.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

here is something every one can do.
the captcha page offers the chance to send a message to the site owner EVERY TIME you have to use it. Send one every time.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:12 pm

As far as Captchas go....

I reckon that if whoever has the admin access details for the WP forum doesn't want to put time or effort into sorting this out, then they should at least do this - because the Captcha spamming is completely ridiculous for a lot of legitimate WP users (including moderators !) in the forum's present condition.

https://support.cloudflare.com/entries/22056486-How-do-I-turn-the-CloudFlare-captcha-challenge-page-off-

It would take all of two minutes to do.... and involve very little effort.
8)

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:13 pm

FlanMaster wrote:
here is something every one can do.
the captcha page offers the chance to send a message to the site owner EVERY TIME you have to use it. Send one every time.

It does ?
;-) Well, well, well.....
Thankyou for telling me !

Really though, lots of those messages will never be received if the Captcha is coming up because the website is overloaded in the first place.

In order for e-mail reports to be properly functional, Alex would be well advised to have an e-mail address which isn't stored on the same server as WP... for the use of reports about poor WP functionality.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2013, 8:21 pm

If the site owner is too busy to sort out the problems, then someone else (not me) could be given administrative access to deal with it.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm

Cornflake wrote:
The CAPTCHA challenge pops up occasionally for various odd reasons, one of which appears to be concerned in some way with images - probably something about the URL, I assume.

It's not necessarily anything to do with the URL itself.

I have found that often when the forum b*****s and whines about being unable to cope with displaying a picture as part of a post (which for me almost always happens at the times when it also unjustifiably refuses to let me use BBcode or smilies in that message) while throwing Captchas at me, then I can simply re-post the image in the next post, and it will show up perfectly.
Without needing a captcha.

It's a forum glitch, and should really be sorted out.

Quote:
It's also not a service provided by WP.

Yes, it is.

It's a service which is sub-contracted by the person who owns the WP website/forum , which is provided by Cloudflare to the users of WP forum ; on behalf of that person.

It's 100% possible, normal and common for people to run a phpBB forum without getting involved with Cloudflare at all.

ETA : edited for clarification (written better now)

Last edited by Ladywoofwoof on 19 Jul 2013, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:29 pm

nominalist wrote:
If the site owner is too busy to sort out the problems, then someone else (not me) could be given administrative access to deal with it.

They could indeed.

;-) Hot potato, hot potato....

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:39 pm

Are dyslexic people even able to decipher these stupid Captchas ?

I mean, really... they're ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with my reading ability, and even I find that they can be a bit like this sometimes.....

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

nominalist wrote:

Yeah, absentee landlords are the worst.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 1:12 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
conundrum wrote:
I'll keep all that in mind--thanks. People have told me I should just get a new laptop--maybe it's time I broke down and did so. :D

I appreciate the advice, btw. :)

:-) That's no problem at all.
I hope that it might be helpful to you.

New laptops are a great idea :-D even the comparatively cheap ones are quite a powerhouse nowadays.
I got my new one a few months ago (one of the comparatively cheap ones) , and am just delighted with how much better it is than my old one.

Most new laptops come with windows 8 by default.

There is nothing "wrong" with windows 8.

However microsoft has decided to take W8Phone very seriously this time to fight android and ios.
In order to do this their main claim is that if you create a program for windows 8/windows phone 8 you have a program for the other one with a couple of small tweaks.

In order to achieve this they have turned your computer into one big tablet and changed its whole appearance and so on so if you are considering a new laptop please have a look at the display one on the store and see if you can deal with w8 or you should go on a quest to find a laptop that still does w7

As for the captchas: quite frustrating but so far I ve only had to deal with them once when I was replying to a pm filled with links, members have pointed out links can cause this whole captcha problem(to avoid spamming links are seen as a threat...)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 1:19 am

I've had to do the capcha BS for every post I've made in the past 2 days. It wouldn't be so f*****g annoying if it weren't so hard for me to read those things. I'd be willing to bet many people on WP have a hard time reading them because of learning disabilities. Pretty f*****g evil really to put this capcha spam crap on an ASD site.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 1:20 am

Rascal77s wrote:
I've had to do the capcha BS for every post I've made in the past 2 days. It wouldn't be so f***ing annoying if it weren't so hard for me to read those things. I'd be willing to bet many people on WP have a hard time reading them because of learning disabilities. Pretty f***ing evil really to put this capcha spam crap on an ASD site.

I'll be dammed, I didn't get a capcha for that last post. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jul 2013, 1:21 am

Did you get it for that one?

I get captcha for so many posts without links... Sometimes it's apparently because I quoted someone.

It's far too aggressive right now, and needs to be tuned way back. Otherwise, well...captcha has never been particularly accessible as pointed out previously.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 1:37 am

Alex has been talking about a new forum for a while.

Let us just hope he was being serious and this issues dissapear once we move

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2013, 4:22 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
nominalist wrote:
They could indeed.
No, they could not. I have admin access and as I've already said, this is not a service provided by WP.
Your concept of the infrastructure on which WP runs is incorrect.
Quote:
It's 100% possible, normal and common for people to run a phpBB forum without getting involved with Cloudflare at all.
The CloudFlare service is not something the users of a website would normally be aware of so many of those sites you claim don't need it are quite probably using it.
Had you experienced the performance issues of this site before it was implemented, you would know how well it functions.
Also please note that CloudFlare != CAPTCHA.

We have an on-going problem with scammers and spam here and like other sites, the CATPCHA system is one method of helping to reduce it - a necessary evil, it you will, and while none of them are 100% effective at zero inconvenience to human users, they can still be useful.
Clearly the aggressive implementation here, what triggers the challenge and the inability of it to learn from a successful challenge all require fine tuning.

The point of the "wobbly text" is to make it readable by human eyes only; this is how all text CAPTCHA systems work. If the text was displayed nice and straight then it would be trivial to have a bot read it and pass the challenge, defeating the purpose of issuing it.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 4:57 am

conundrum, rather than disabling your ad blocker entirely you can probably add an exception for wrongplanet.net. Of course, you'll then see lots of ads on it. I use AdBlock Plus in Google Chrome and that works fine. Another extension (Disconnect) did cause problems with the CloudFlare CAPTCHA however, so I had to add an exception to that one.

Perhaps I can make a guide of what to do/not do with your browser settings to browse WP if there's sufficient interest. "An illustrated guide to browsing WrongPlanet with minimal annoyances", if you will. :) (That won't stop the CAPTCHAs, though!)

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
Are dyslexic people even able to decipher these stupid Captchas ?

I mean, really... they're ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with my reading ability, and even I find that they can be a bit like this sometimes.....

A handy thing to know about RECAPTCHA (the CAPTCHA system used by CloudFlare) is that the system only knows one of the two words, so you only have to get one correct. Of course, you normally don't know which one, but when you see something ridiculous like in that image you can bet it's the other word. So just type the word that you can read and enter any rubbish for the other word.

Cornflake wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:
nominalist wrote:
They could indeed.
No, they could not. I have admin access and as I've already said, this is not a service provided by WP.
Your concept of the infrastructure on which WP runs is incorrect.

I think she means admin access to the CloudFlare settings for the site. I'm guessing only Alex can change those?