Are mods kept an eye on? How are they selected? Any vetting?

Page 9 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 5:46 pm

Where?

The only "answer" I see, on this thread, was the one where you said you didn't post a reason cuz it would've bumped the thread----that would take care-of the 2nd question, I asked of you.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

The explanation for Mootoo's thread being locked was posted by another mod in this thread.

The explanation for the Trump thread being locked was posted in the thread.

Two threads about Jacoby's views on Clinton's email scandal = two threads on the same topic. And frankly Jacoby's essentially the conservative Mootoo so a lot of that explanation applies here too.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 9:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
And frankly Jacoby's essentially the conservative Mootoo so a lot of that explanation applies here too.

I don't think that's fair; Jacoby posts lengthy explanations of his views with links, regardless of what you think of the sources of those links, doesn't spam every forum on the board with wild conspiracy theories, posts about things other than Trump, and is generally much more coherent as a poster. He also doesn't accuse you guys of conspiring against him, with the aid of WP's apparently custom designed to oppress him software no less.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:18 am

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
And frankly Jacoby's essentially the conservative Mootoo so a lot of that explanation applies here too.

I don't think that's fair; Jacoby posts lengthy explanations of his views with links, regardless of what you think of the sources of those links, doesn't spam every forum on the board with wild conspiracy theories, posts about things other than Trump, and is generally much more coherent as a poster. He also doesn't accuse you guys of conspiring against him, with the aid of WP's apparently custom designed to oppress him software no less.

I agree completely. There is no comparison between these two posters.

There Are Four Lights!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

The_Walrus and Campin_Cat wrote:
The explanation for Mootoo's thread being locked was posted by another mod in this thread.

Oh, okay----though I appreciated a Mod addressing it, I was waiting for the person who actually locked it, to respond (I wanted to hear it, from the horse's mouth).

The explanation for the Trump thread being locked was posted in the thread.

I didn't "see" an explanation in that post----I only saw a response to the topic of that thread. It's interesting (and, with-all-due-respect, a little messed-up) when Mods, who are ALSO ASDers, don't offer DETAILS / aren't more EXPLICIT----I'm thinking they would want details / explicitness, if someone was addressing THEM.

Two threads about Jacoby's views on Clinton's email scandal = two threads on the same topic.

Yeah, that was your explanation, before, and that's what prompted my question / post, asking HOW they were the same----because, IMO, just because they both contained the words, "Hillary" and "emails", didn't make them about the same thing----but, since you're just repeating yourself, I'm gonna move-on.

Wow----I don't agree with that, AT ALL!! IMO, Jacoby's posts, whether I agree with him or NOT, always seem to be VERY well, thought-out. Yeah, he seems to be "Trump-obsessed", and I've seen a couple of his posts where it seemed his response was driven PURELY by emotion; but, for the most part, IMO, he puts alot of thought into his responses, and I have alot of respect for him----ESPECIALLY, because he's so YOUNG. Also, that's not ALL he talks-about----I've seen him give real contributions ("real", being the operative word, here----I've NEVER gotten the feeling Jacoby posts, JUST to be posting, like I have with some other people, whom nobody comes down, on), to LOTS of topics; and, in different fora, on this site.

Mootoo's posts, on-the-other-hand..... QUITE different.

Here's the thing..... I can understand why either of these two's posts, might get-on someone's nerves----but, Jacoby's WON'T, after this election, and.....

This seems to be going back to what I mentioned, before..... That a Mod's personal opinion / feelings----though I TOTALLY understand why it can be difficult, sometimes----should NOT play into their modding decisions; and, I have seen some things that seem to indicate that because you don't agree with Jacoby, his posts get on your nerves, even MORE.

SBO_ReachOut2Me
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

Darmok wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I agree completely. There is no comparison between these two posters.

All posters are unique regardless of the presence-or-absence-of-a-positive-demeanour

:)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I think this thread is actually a pretty good example of transparency, I think a lot of people just have absolutely no idea how the moderation is done around here or what goes into the decision making processes, so just talking about it out in the open is very helpful.

I AGREE----and, if it weren't for the fact that everybody and their brother (not literal) would think they've hit the jackpot and been given "free license" to whine every 2 seconds, I think it would be a GREAT idea to re-name this thread (with the OP's permission, ONLY), "Question a Mod's decision, HERE" (or, something like that), and make it a STICKY (far enough away from the other thread regarding getting a Mod's attention, of course, so the two wouldn't be confused). Mods are not "above-the-law", so-to-speak, and it would, IMO, give them accountability to the PEOPLE of this site----and, as I stated before, I feel that is at least PART of Alex's vision, in having this site (for the PEOPLE).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 8:08 am

To whomever removed my two posts, that I had to edit-out because this site posted one post, THREE times: THANKS!!

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=330867

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

I think every single one of the mods here should be demoted...I have never seen a more poorly run and mismanaged forum.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm

Maybe PPR complaints in the wp discussion should be identified as such in their titles

SBO_ReachOut2Me

21 Oct 2016, 6:58 pm

dianthus wrote:
I think every single one of the mods here should be demoted...I have never seen a more poorly run and mismanaged forum.

I've only seen loveliness here since I joined.

One person started trouble and the mods dealt with it.

Another mod helped me with my name change when I wanted to change my name.

So I'm impressed.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2016, 5:39 am

It is quite clear from the edit I made that I was the one who did do the research. :roll:

You, on the other hand, got into a rage about an article that was clearly labelled "satire" in five places without checking whether the contents were genuine or seeking out a reliable source.

If you had, for example, checked the article in the Evening Standard, you would have seen that there was nothing like "fascistic threats to murder".

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 6:55 am

I think the mods here do a really great job overall. I feel as though some of them look out for me sometimes, too. I think they all care very much, and mistakes may happen as just part of human error, or well...because they were right and not everyone likes it, including me sometimes. ;)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 8:57 am

^ Thanks! 8)

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:35 am

The_Walrus wrote:
You, on the other hand, got into a rage about an article that was clearly labelled "satire" in five places without checking whether the contents were genuine or seeking out a reliable source.

If you had, for example, checked the article in the Evening Standard, you would have seen that there was nothing like "fascistic threats to murder".

I'm not sure what your interpretation of 'treason' is, but historically it very much included death, i.e. murder. Also, you reckon I included the satirical site for no reason? I may have linked to any other real sources but I presumed people could do their own research. You clearly didn't realize it after I pointed it out, though.