Page 2 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 11:02 am

EzraS wrote:
I have a feeling the wp server is so antiquated it just simply gets overloaded by normal activity.

That is my quess.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 6:58 am

Server crashed at 11:50 pm est as usual and stayed down for several hours as usual for sunday into monday.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 10:04 am

EzraS wrote:
Server crashed at 11:50 pm est as usual and stayed down for several hours as usual for sunday into monday.

Based on the time stamps the outage lasted slightly more than 7 hours.
In the US and Canada it means it was out during the late night/middle of the night hours when many members like to post due to sleep issues or because it is quiet and one is least likely to be interrupted.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 10:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

In the US and Canada it means it was out during the late night/middle of the night hours when many members like to post due to sleep issues or because it is quiet and one is least likely to be interrupted.

Yep and I'm one of them.

Fortunately Aspie Central is never down.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 1:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Yep and I'm one of them.

I’ve noticed :D
And when you are posting late I am posting from the eastern time zone some 3 hours later.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:34 pm

I seriously can't understand why WrongPlanet is even using Cloudflare! It causes more outages than it prevents! I see them every day. In the good old says, when WP still had the blue-and-green color scheme, there was no Cloudflare, and the site worked flawlessly. Granted, it got hacked on occasion, but the owners were great at disaster recovery time and again.

I used to feel pretty emotional about WP's downward spiral, but now I feel like Nero watching Rome burn. By continuing to use Cloudflare, the owners are doing to themselves, causing site members to migrate to other, more robust sites. But the membership killer was Captcha, when it used to wipe out everything you spent carefully writing. Who else remembers that?

Please get rid of Cloudflare! You're not doing your own site members any favors by using this god-awful service.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 1:20 pm

The blue green format was experiencing a lot of problems which TallyMan spelled out the most and eventually left WP in frustration over. The piecemeal revamp did save the site from totally collapsing but it also caused many problems. If it had been done as thoroughly and extensively as needed, then this site would function the same as every other forum does. Most anybody can create a forum that operates considerably better than this one does. A couple of former members did just that, but they didn't catch on. I really feel that after nearly 15 years of this site's existence, Alex is just too far removed from it to make any changes and it will continue degrading and shrinking until it's dead. I really don't expect it to make it past 2019 and maybe not even by the end of this year.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 1:45 pm

^ Can't disagree with much of what you say. It took about 12 attempts to make one particular post this afternoon, and that included two occasions where the post was 'eaten' and deleted by the 'Draft' and 'Preview' functions.

But I hope your predictions are wide of the mark. As you imply, many of the issues can apparently easily be dealt with and are probably pretty basic, so there's always hope.....

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 2:04 pm

DeepHour wrote:
It took about 12 attempts to make one particular post this afternoon, and that included two occasions where the post was 'eaten' and deleted by the 'Draft' and 'Preview' functions.
After getting burned by Captcha time and again, I now compose all posts in Notepad, then copy/paste them into the browser. Unless it's something just one or two lines. Even today, when WP doesn't seem to be using Captcha anymore. Now, if only WP would do away with Cloudflare too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 2:57 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
It took about 12 attempts to make one particular post this afternoon, and that included two occasions where the post was 'eaten' and deleted by the 'Draft' and 'Preview' functions.
After getting burned by Captcha time and again, I now compose all posts in Notepad, then copy/paste them into the browser. Unless it's something just one or two lines. Even today, when WP doesn't seem to be using Captcha anymore. Now, if only WP would do away with Cloudflare too.

I still get CAPTCHA every once in a while. But unlike the 4 or 5 steps and then you have to do it all over again of the past it only delays me for one or two steps.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 4:37 pm

This kind of stuff can really piss a guy off....

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2018, 7:56 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This kind of stuff can really piss a guy off....

You alright, Kortie? Don't think i've seen you get even a little irate? :lol:

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:07 am

Approxomatly 9 hour outage just “ended” . Pages still slow loading.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:11 am

This was a bad one....

Suppose somebody is really down, and someone is trying to talk the person out of doing harm to his/her self....

Then the website stops functioning....

There has to be a way to fix this...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:19 am

This Site is a lifeline for some people.

We must do something to fix this.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 9:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There has to be a way to fix this...

The fix is getting rid of Cloudflare! I'm sure WP pays for it. So not only will it stop the outages, it'll save money.