Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 7:37 am

Is there a sticky on here somewhere that covers PM etiquette?

I haven’t seen any.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 8:04 am

As I understand it, The Rules apply to PMs just as they do to posts, although it is entirely up to the recipient to report offensive PMs to the mods.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 8:32 am

Fnord wrote:
As I understand it, The Rules apply to PMs just as they do to posts, although it is entirely up to the recipient to report offensive PMs to the mods.

I think it could help to have a sticky outlining etiquette as it pertains to PMs to refer people to.

I received a rude PM that wasn’t offensive, so I’m not going to report it.

Wouldn’t you say that members are under no obligation to respond to unsolicited PMs, especially when they haven’t talked to the person before?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I think it could help to have a sticky outlining etiquette as it pertains to PMs to refer people to. I received a rude PM that wasn’t offensive, so I’m not going to report it. Wouldn’t you say that members are under no obligation to respond to unsolicited PMs, especially when they haven’t talked to the person before?
No one is under any obligation to respond to any PM, whether solicited or not. How can a "rude" PM not be "offensive"? I report all PMs I receive that are irritating, offensive, rude, or just plain weird. Maybe that's why I receive so very few of this kind of PM.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 8:46 am

I think I heard that if you mark someone as a foe they can't PM you.

There's already a sticky on PMs so I seriously doubt an additional one will be created, and also I wouldn't be surprised if the admin is the only one with that ability.

Personally I have never bothered to read most of the stickies that exist throughout the site.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 9:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I think it could help to have a sticky outlining etiquette as it pertains to PMs to refer people to. I received a rude PM that wasn’t offensive, so I’m not going to report it. Wouldn’t you say that members are under no obligation to respond to unsolicited PMs, especially when they haven’t talked to the person before?
No one is under any obligation to respond to any PM, whether solicited or not. How can a "rude" PM not be "offensive"? I report all PMs I receive that are irritating, offensive, rude, or just plain weird. Maybe that's why I receive so very few of this kind of PM.

Oh. Okay.

For some reason, I thought I should only report ones that contain swearing, name calling, or things of that nature.

What do the mods do once a PM is reported?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 9:03 am

EzraS wrote:

There's already a sticky on PMs so I seriously doubt an additional one will be created, and also I wouldn't be surprised if the admin is the only one with that ability.

Personally I have never bothered to read most of the stickies that exist throughout the site.

Right, but I thought it might be helpful to refer people there.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 9:40 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm not against the idea I'm just being a negative nancy about it ever happening.

As for hitting the report button you may never know who responded or what they did. If you send a PM to an active mod about it you can get a better handle on it. We had a major PM problem with someone called lone loyal wolf which there's a sticky about (that one I read) so mods pay attention to PM issues and want to hear what you have to say.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm

No one is obligated to answer any PM----ever.

No one is obligated to respond to someone else in a thread.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 12:28 pm

EzraS wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm not against the idea I'm just being a negative nancy about it ever happening.

As for hitting the report button you may never know who responded or what they did. If you send a PM to an active mod about it you can get a better handle on it. We had a major PM problem with someone called lone loyal wolf which there's a sticky about (that one I read) so mods pay attention to PM issues and want to hear what you have to say.

I have lots of experience with that specific person. 8O

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 12:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No one is obligated to answer any PM----ever.

No one is obligated to respond to someone else in a thread.

People have sent me rude PMs a couple of times now because I didn’t respond to an unsolicited PM. That’s why I was thinking that this might be a common problem that could use some addressing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 12:50 pm

It doesn't need addressing. The people sending the rude PM's should be reported.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 1:09 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
People have sent me rude PMs a couple of times now because I didn’t respond to an unsolicited PM. That’s why I was thinking that this might be a common problem that could use some addressing.
Sorta like the guys who ask for a date and won't take 'No' for an answer? That's harassment. If you don't want it to continue, then report it to the mods.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 1:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Sorta like the guys who ask for a date and won't take 'No' for an answer? That's harassment. If you don't want it to continue, then report it to the mods.

I just got a PM containing personal attacks. It’s been reported.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2019, 7:50 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

What do the mods do once a PM is reported?

The same as when a post is reported , although I imagine they get priority.

Twilightprincess wrote:

I just got a PM containing personal attacks. It’s been reported.

The mod who deals with your report will do what they deem necessary.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 3:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:

That last sentence is self-contradictory. :lol:

If you get enough that you need to report them on a regular basis - then you get far more than most people get (ie you don't get "very few". You get "a lot" despite reporting). :lol:

Not that a person shouldn't report them. Just that you're arguing against yourself here.