Page 114 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 162  Next

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:27 pm

Hello! I think Chamberlain and much of Britain's upper crust thought that Hitler would attack Russia, and they were willing to sacrifice a few countries for that outcome. Stalin's pact with Hitler really threw them for a loop.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:31 pm

sly279 wrote:

Yup...

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Aug 2020, 7:33 pm

Pepe wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Yup...

umm who the hell wants that girl to apologize for slavery? What a pointless graphic to make

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
I was thinking about the "self defence" thing.
In real life, breaking law in self defence is permitted because you need to act immediately when your life, health or property is immediately threatned. If you didn't hit that guy with a knife, he could have broken your back before the police had time to do anything.
In internet communities, such situations are unlikely. No one's life, health or property is in immediate danger when you refrain from calling an idiot an idiot.

It's funny how fragile human egos are (mine included).

Mine isn't. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:02 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I think it's a great pity that toxic American Politics is causing the ambience here to go belly up.

Some of us just want our popcorn and only say something when necessary.

Agreed.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:03 pm

alex wrote:
well i had a page you could donate on paypal for the old site but i'd have to tweak it and set it up. I'd also want to know what people thought the main default options as far as $$ per month or per year should be.

I'm not sure what reasonable amounts are based on website cost, but maybe in the $1-10 range per month and make paying for a whole year slightly less expensive than paying by month? That's just based off of other subscriptions I've seen. My economic situation will be in flux in four months when I graduate so better if other people with more secure long term situations comment.

I have turned off my adblocker, I've been a leech :P

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:04 pm

alex wrote:
Pepe wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Yup...

umm who the hell wants that girl to apologize for slavery? What a pointless graphic to make

We are asked to accept various forms of collective guilt.
Been there.
Done that.
Not happening again. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:07 pm

Temeraire wrote:
Yeah, like I just spent hours catching up here when I could have been watching new episodes of Lucifer.

Hours of my life taken away, lost forever.

Oh!
New topic: Lucifer? 8O

Great series.
A very likeable Satan. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:15 pm

Teach51 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I think it's a great pity that toxic American Politics is causing the ambience here to go belly up.

Some of us just want our popcorn and only say something when necessary.

That does seem to be the root of the problem, the question is should WP be an American political platform? There are so many platforms specifically for this, or is its purpose to unite autistics from around the globe under one protected umbrella and focus on mutual assistance, combating isolation, healing and strengthening the sense of well- being.
Political combat does none of these.
Non-Americans will leave otherwise, and also those on the bad end of the most popular political trend. It would be a tragedy for WP to go belly-up just because people can't live with each others' diversity of thought. That doesn't bode well for America or the rest of the world either.

It sounds to me like this:
" I am going to kill you, I hate you because you don't like pretzels and don't agree with me that pretzels are better than Pringles, you are bigoted because you don't agree with me and I will shame you because I can't tolerate anyone who prefers Pringles when I know pretzels will be better for you and the whole world. I will control how you think according to my values and life experience, what do you know about snacks? and I don't care if you have Celiac's disease I know what you should prefer and I will dictate to you what you should think."

I hate politics, they divide and destroy. All we need is mutual respect.

I like politics.
I don't like partisanship/groupthink and the expulsion of critical thinking and simple mutual respect. 8)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:23 pm

Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:
well i had a page you could donate on paypal for the old site but i'd have to tweak it and set it up. I'd also want to know what people thought the main default options as far as $$ per month or per year should be.

I'm not sure what reasonable amounts are based on website cost, but maybe in the $1-10 range per month and make paying for a whole year slightly less expensive than paying by month? That's just based off of other subscriptions I've seen. My economic situation will be in flux in four months when I graduate so better if other people with more secure long term situations comment.

I would definitely contribute if it was setup.

$25/month seems very reasonable to me.

I get like $250/month enjoyment here. My mental state feels better when I research and order information.

I don't blab about my autism to other people, so anonymous, fractional bitcoin contributions (through paypal?) would be great.

Be the hero of your life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I think it's a natural reaction to react when someone insults you. If I were to verbally attack someone, they would attack me back. I'd say it's a skill people learn to not retaliate but that is where malicious compliance comes in because employees are expected to not react so they go the passive aggressive way when they get rude customers or get insulted by them.

That is not *my* natural response. 8)

I was attacked viciously out of the blue and deflected that vitriolic abuse with humour.
Guess who got the warning/reprimand? :roll:

What a joke. lol :mrgreen:

Brictoria wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
My BF's input is that WP shouldn't be a political forum, but somewhere where fellow autists can get together in friendship to have a "chat".

The political areas (PPR and news) would be OK if people could refrain from attacking other people for posting something with which they disagreed, and instead addressed replies to the content that was posted.

Discussing policies\events\? and the pros\cons of different things would be a great way for people to understand the "other side", but too many seem determined to "defend" their side (or see any attack on their position as being an attack on themselves) rather than being open to listening to alternative views.

I wasn't expecting autistics to behave this way when I first joined WP 7 years ago.

Teach51 wrote:

If Alex is still here I would like to say that I have visited Asperger Forums and they have an option to choose whether to interact with the political forum or not on registration. The ambience there is fairly free of personal attacks and it is constructive. Vulnerable members who were targeted here for their unpopular political views and some really supportive and kind members who left WP because they hate an environment of conflict and hostility are thriving there. It provides support, social interaction, humour and information exchange netto.

Some use both platforms. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:55 pm

alex wrote:

Now with that said, if the discussions on PP&R are causing a major issue on the site, we need to figure out how to prevent that from infecting discussions where it has no place. Perhaps we could just make it pretty clear that you can't discuss politics outside of the ppr forum in any way and make that strictly enforced.

That is a start.

Teach51 wrote:
PPR should require "isolation" from the other forums just like Covid19 requires serious isolation measures, for the benefit of those of us who are not yet immune to toxic, combative political debate. :D

:mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:05 pm

sly279 wrote:
Australia for example should be more concerned with their own and that of China’s growing control over the world.

My interest (previously) in American politics had revolved around which party was going to help Australia stay safe from the ccp aggression.
Well, it still is, but I don't do PPR any longer. 8)

sly279 wrote:
Most active members here now are non Americans, yet the political posts are all about America?

In my case, see above. 8)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:09 pm

Pepe wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Australia for example should be more concerned with their own and that of China’s growing control over the world.

My interest (previously) in American politics had revolved around which party was going to help Australia stay safe from the ccp aggression.
Well, it still is, but I don't do PPR any longer. 8)

sly279 wrote:
Most active members here now are non Americans, yet the political posts are all about America?

In my case, see above. 8)

My point is peope we’re saying” it’s all these darn Americans ruining wp with their political talk” but it’s mostly non Americans doing it :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:11 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
PPR is more good than bad, and WP would be that much poorer without it. The grudges and the spillover are problems, though.

But only if there is a change.
I won't go in that cesspit, the way it is.
Or, if I feel inclined in the future, I may just post and ignore those looking for a fight and the double standards.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 10:27 pm

There was something bugging me about some things I read here yesterday, but couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but after some sleep, I think I've worked it out:

alex wrote:
I don't think all the trump voters the first time around would be considered white supremacists but certainly if they vote for him in the 2020 election now that he's made it clear that he believes in those ideals.

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=389127&p=8589208#p8589208
Coupled with
alex wrote:
You can't insult people but you can call them out for being something. Like you can say "you're being mean" but you can't say "you're an as*hole" or you're an idiot.
It should be pretty clear. If the word derogatory is in the definition of the word, it's not allowed.

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=389127&p=8589398#p8589398

Maybe it's just a different understanding of what is meant here (different country, different linguistics, etc.), but this (coming as it does from the site owner) does seem like a return to the 1960's era of calling those someone disagreed with a "communist" (no mention of "derogatory" in the definition), but society has a special understanding of how to interpret the use of the word and of how to treat\deal with the target of the accusation...And it was exceedingly diffiicult to remove the mark against the target's name, or to disprove it, as people were inclined to believ the accuser rather than the defendant.

Or to illustrate in another way:
alex wrote:
This is not always true, but usually the ones who get offended the most for being called racists are racists who don't realize they're racist.

Source: https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=389127&p=8589205#p8589205

Were this to instead have been the 1960's, would the following have been equally accurate?
Quote:
This is not always true, but usually the ones who get offended the most for being called communists are communists who don't realize they're communist.

Now, however, the terms "racist", "bigot", "facist", "white supremecist", "nazi", "alt-right", etc. are being used in the same way (and with the same "stain" they apply to their target) as "communist" was back then, to silence those with whom people disagree with (or their opinions) regardless of the appropriatness of the accusation, and with no justification for their use being required. And as none of them (as far as I can tell) contain "derogatory" in their definition, there is apparently nothing wrong with throwing them around at anyone a person on the site disagrees with (see second quote above).