How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 9 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:15 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
spergy obsession type thing, mostly. plus the old stories are pretty funny, and there are lot's of runestones around here to read, so that's pretty cool.

One in my hometown.

That's awesome!

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm

I'm done being diplomatic.

Alex, all of our attempts to reason with you have failed. There was I time I would have thanked you for creating the place where I met my husband, and found acceptance among people who share my struggles.

In the last few days you've made many deeply troubling comments that, among other things, promote ableism. I don't know where everyone else stands, but I personally don't feel comfortable with you speaking on our behalf as an ASD advocate.

You've lost the plot.

Furthermore, you harm the anti-racism and BLM movement by making sweeping generalizations, that will inevitably push people away from the ultimate goal.

Give admin powers to the mod team and let those who are better at this stuff address the community.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:24 pm

I also tried learning icelandic for a brief while. Gave up partly due to lack of decent study material, and partly because...well, have you seen icelandic? I basically wound up watching disney films dubbed to icelandic with subtitles in english. Which, don't get me wrong, was hilarious, but not exactly a solid foundation to learn from.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:

Alex, all of our attempts to reason with you have failed. There was I time I would have thanked you for creating the place where I met my husband, and found acceptance among people who share my struggles.

In the last few days you've made many deeply troubling comments that, among other things, promote ableism. I don't know where everyone else stands, but I personally don't feel comfortable with you speaking on our behalf as an ASD advocate.

You've lost the plot.

Furthermore, you harm the anti-racism and BLM movement by making sweeping generalizations, that will inevitably push people away from the ultimate goal.

Give admin powers to the mod team and let those who are better at this stuff address the community.

I see what Fey sees in you , you are a good un ABG :heart:

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:33 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
ᛁ ᚲᛟᚢᛚᛞ ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛖ ᛏᚺᛖ ᛗᛟᛋᛏ ᛟᚠᚠᛖᚾᛋᛁᚡᛖ ᛏᚺᛁᚾᚷᛋ ᛁᚾ ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛋ, ᚨᚾᛞ ᚤᛟᚢ'ᛞ ᚾᛖᚡᛖᚱ ᚴᚾᛟᚹ.

ᚹᚺᚤ ᚢᛋᛖ ᚷᚱᛖᚨᛏ ᛋᚲᛁᛚᛚᛋ ᚠᛟᚱ ᛖᚡᛁᛚ?

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:36 pm

I really wish "racism" was seen as bad as being told you were rude or mean and no one has gotten fired for meanness or rudeness but people have lost their jobs before for posting something online that was harmful to humans.

One example was a woman in Oregon was fired from her job for ranting on her social media page saying something like "I hate how people abuse welfare, I just had a guy walk out of here applying for food stamps and he drove off in a nice car."

Now lot of people defended this woman saying she spoke the truth.

I saw no truth here, what I saw was slander. Why?

Because she doesn't know if the man had hit hard times like losing his job so now he is applying for assistance, the car might have been his mom or dad's or a friend's he is borrowing, he may have had that car for a while and has paid it off or paid most of it off, you need a car here in the US to get to places like for work and looking for work. You need reliable transportation so yes, this woman was very judgmental. Who wants someone working for the state if they are going to be judging anyone like this who comes in and applies?

Or let's say someone worked as a teacher and they ranted on their page about "I hate how parents are lazy today and how doctors will label any child just so they can get an IEP and I have all these IEPS that are uneeded when all these kids is more discipline and to stop being lazy."

If my son's teacher ever wrote this, I would screen shot it and email it to my son's school and to the school distirct. As someone who grew up on an IEP and was abused through the school system because I looked too normal and my parents always had to fight for my IEP to be followed, I take these comments very seriously when it comes to my own child.

The first comment example was classism. The second example was ableism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:37 pm

Looks my racist anti-racist avatar has been removed by a higher power :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

Carpeta wrote:

ᚨᚠᛏᛖᚱ ᚦᛖ ᛚᚨᛊᛏ ᚠᛖᚹ ᛞᚨᛁᛊ, ᛁᛏ×ᛊ ᚺᚨᚱᛞ ᛏᛟ ᛊᛖᛖ ᛏᚱᛟᛚᛚᛁᛜ ᚨᛚᛖᚲᛊ ᚨᛊ ᛖᚢᛁᛚ.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:45 pm

Carpeta wrote:

Wolfram87 wrote:
ᚨᚠᛏᛖᚱ ᚦᛖ ᛚᚨᛊᛏ ᚠᛖᚹ ᛞᚨᛁᛊ, ᛁᛏ×ᛊ ᚺᚨᚱᛞ ᛏᛟ ᛊᛖᛖ ᛏᚱᛟᛚᛚᛁᛜ ᚨᛚᛖᚲᛊ ᚨᛊ ᛖᚢᛁᛚ.

:lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm

The Brownshirts (SA) became irrelevant after Hitler came to power. They were purged by Hitler.

The SS (Gestapo) wore mostly black uniforms, with a little red and white.

I learned most of this through watching Hogan’s Heroes. In that show, Jews played Nazis and German soldiers.

Unfortunately, the Nazi flag was red.

I’m sorry people were triggered by the red color.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:55 pm

It's too bad the SS ruined the whole trenchcoat uniform look. It's a nice look. Designed by Hugo Boss.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:56 pm

Temeraire wrote:
I want to get involved with this but I would feel as though I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:05 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:

You've lost the plot.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:16 pm

Like the defenders at Singapore, Alex has his big guns pointed in the wrong direction. WP does NOT have a big racism problem. It has a big anti-Trump problem. THAT is where most of the heat and hatred, the unseemly posting, is directed.

Since Alex seems to share the prejudice, nothing will be done about it. But that prejudice is what would drive many people away from WP. It is also the basis of the (at times) nasty tone of most problematic threads.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:18 pm

Here is my Nazi shirt :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm

There are some very good reasons why many people are anti-Trump.

Still, to call Trump supporters Reichwingers or whatever is wrong. Many people don’t vote for Trump for particularly right-wing reasons.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 25 Aug 2020, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.